• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breer on the Search Process

Mr. Scot

All of these super rich NFL owners are birds of a feather.  I don't really think Tepper has done thing much different than other owners. 

There isn't a "correct" way to ensure you get the right people.  You won't really know until after the fact.  You do your due diligence and make the best decision with the evidence you have. 

If Tepper was out there making decisions that half the GM's or owners in the league wouldn't tough I'd be worried.  But getting a hot in-demand name (Rhule) or getting a seasoned coach with a lot of experience (Reich) are not any decisions that would shock the world had any GM or owner in the league made those choices.

Sadly, you just have to keep swinging based on sound evidence.  Most of everything Tepper has done wasn't a bad decision at the time it was made but in hindsight turned out to be horrible decisions. 

I'll take the 2nd richest owner in the league to figure it out and / or get lucky sooner or later.

• Pie 2

52 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I dont think Tepper is all that bad. Hes learning. This time will be better. 

Yeeeeeah...that's a "believe it when I see it" thing.

It's possible, but right now he's so bad we're prescreening our interview requests out of fear people will run away.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, Loyalty4Life said:

All of these super rich NFL owners are birds of a feather.  I don't really think Tepper has done thing much different than other owners. 

There isn't a "correct" way to ensure you get the right people.  You won't really know until after the fact.  You do your due diligence and make the best decision with the evidence you have. 

If Tepper was out there making decisions that half the GM's or owners in the league wouldn't tough I'd be worried.  But getting a hot in-demand name (Rhule) or getting a seasoned coach with a lot of experience (Reich) are not any decisions that would shock the world had any GM or owner in the league made those choices.

Sadly, you just have to keep swinging based on sound evidence.  Most of everything Tepper has done wasn't a bad decision at the time it was made but in hindsight turned out to be horrible decisions. 

I'll take the 2nd richest owner in the league to figure it out and / or get lucky sooner or later.

Matt Rhule was your standard run of the mill college hype and they rarely actually get hired the first time the PR machines start up on one.... and Frank Reich just got fired from Indy months prior.  Neither were no brainer calls that any owner would have also made. 

and it is largely reported that Tepper green lighted mortgaging our future to go up to that #1 spot.  Which also isn't standard owner behavior.  Those are rare occurrences. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Matt Rhule was your standard run of the mill college hype and they rarely actually get hired the first time the PR machines start up on one.... and Frank Reich just got fired from Indy months prior.  Neither were no brainer calls that any owner would have also made. 

and it is largely reported that Tepper green lighted mortgaging our future to go up to that #1 spot.  Which also isn't standard owner behavior.  Those are rare occurrences. 

Good points but I'm also not saying they were no brainers, only that they were not WTF is going on type moves. 

Mortgaging the future was the next logical step after trying for 4 years to find a remotely decent QB.  I certainly was on board to take that risk vs another 4 years of Teddy B., Sam Darnold or Baker type swings at QB every year.

All I'm saying is Tepper isn't special or much different than other owners in the grand scheme.  The biggest difference is in our favor which is how much money will he spend to find a winner.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Loyalty4Life said:

Good points but I'm also not saying they were no brainers, only that they were not WTF is going on type moves. 

Mortgaging the future was the next logical step after trying for 4 years to find a remotely decent QB.  I certainly was on board to take that risk vs another 4 years of Teddy B., Sam Darnold or Baker type swings at QB every year.

All I'm saying is Tepper isn't special or much different than other owners in the grand scheme.  The biggest difference is in our favor which is how much money will he spend to find a winner.

mortgaging your future is never a good idea in the NFL because the bust rate is so comically high for even the top prospects. 

We chose to go the old vet route.  It wasn't the only option.   Right now we could of been coming off a season with Fields, DJ, CMC and a host of other players that we acquired with picks we never traded away for useless players.   We would be better and more entertaining.  We also weren't forced into mortgaging our future for BY and destined to for a bad backup. 

One of the reason our offense has been so pathetic.....is Joe Brady was better than every playcaller after him.  And Joe Brady was a newb and not even good.  It's why Baker immediately looked better with the Rams than here in the same year.  And a lot better in Tampa now.  That's your red flag.  It points to the people in Carolina that don't suit up and play.  The players don't matter as much when the white shirts and coaches in Carolina put everyone in position to fail. 

• Pie 4

55 minutes ago, Loyalty4Life said:

I dont know who you are but you seem to have the best memory of events of what actually happened at the time than anyone on the board here. Its refreshing. 

I agree with you on all points your making. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeeeeeah...that's a "believe it when I see it" thing.

It's possible, but right now he's so bad we're prescreening our interview requests out of fear people will run away.

I know it a bad look.. but a worse look is not doing that and being turned down. 

The only positive I am hearing is that the team actually knows what the perception is of their state currently. Having to ask if they can ask for an interview is embarrassing. Now something so much worse is out there. It is such a poorly run organization. More like new mistakes and unfortunately not learning much yet good still. 

26 minutes ago, Louie said:

Joe Brady is now the OC in Buffalo and their offense is looking even better, since he took over. It's crazy how every single thing the Panthers try to do, always fails.

the Bills took off and went I think 7-1 after Joe Brady took over as OC and went from likely not making the playoffs to the #2 seed.  The one L was in OT. 

meanwhile in Panther land...we finished the year w/ back to back zeros on O. 

• Pie 3

All that stuff about checking with a potential HC to make sure they would accept an invite is just a good PR firm basic.  They'd have researched and known exactly the way fans felt.  Heck, I'd be almost surprised if this wasn't common practice.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CanadianCat said:

I dont know who you are but you seem to have the best memory of events of what actually happened at the time than anyone on the board here. Its refreshing. 

I agree with you on all points your making. 

I was there when it started. 

First there were the Hornets.  Zo, Larry and Mugs.  I was 13.

At 18 we got the Panthers!  And played at Clemson.

Beuerlein, Collins.  Chris M'f'n Weinke.

Rodney Peete and little ol' backup qb Jake Delhomme.

After that mighty run that included a trip to the Superbowl we hit some lean years.

Those were the Carr year.  Dem the Jimmy Clausen year. 

Brian St' Pierre, which lead us to...

CAMERON JERRELL NEWTON.

Yeah, his middle name is Jerrell, as in the father of Superman Jerrell.

This era also included a trip to the Superbowl.

Then came a new owner.

And the darkness.

We wandered in the dark for a time.  I'm not even sure our long.  There was real excitement when Teddy Bridgewater threw a pass longer than 10 yards.  Yo, Joe Brady like a young Belichek.  The Rhule years were not kind to us.  Did we all really argue about who was better to be the starter?  Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield? 

Then we blinked and started over.  Now we needed a new coach.  A new DC, OC, every C. 

Then we blinked and started over.  Now we needed a new coach. A new OC, GM, and good amount of C's.

Now we in the Bryce era.  The Derrick Brown, most tackles EVA in the NFL by a DT and got snubbed by the Pro Bowl.  We can say we was in on it from the start but we are about the see the start of injury free dominance of JCF'N Horn.

Icky gone be already all.  He got this.  Thomas Fletcher.  We can stop waiting now cause he ain't coming back.

Mingo.  Bingo.  #1 WR. Bet.

Daddy Tep going make it all ok cause that is what super rich white men do.  A very good GM and a very good coach HC will come here.  A very good DC will stay here.  But most important of all is that no matter what happens we retain the special team coordinator that lead us through the darkness post Frank Reich right up until this very time. 

Chris Taber.

Next stop.  Super Bowl.

David Tepper is going through a very common learning curve that occurs with new owners. 

Haslam bought the Browns in 2012. In that time he has had 7 Head Coaches. Shurmur, Pettine, Chudzinski, Jackson, Williams, Kitchens, and Stafanski. It took a while but I think he figured it out with Stefanski. He did the same thing at QB, but he has the franchise moving in the right direction. 

The Pegulas took a while to figure things out with Buffalo after they bought the team in 2014. They went through Marrone and Ryan before stumbling on McDermott and Allen. 

Khan bought the Jaguars in 2011 and has had quite the circus but overall his team is trending up. He went through Del Rio, Marrone, Bradley, Mularkey, Meyer, and had Pederson (I may be leaving somebody out). 

When Jed York took over the day to day for San Francisco he had Mike Singletary, then fired him for Harbaugh and then got into a pissing match with Harbaugh and fired him with a 49-22 record and replaced him with Tomsula and Chip Kelly. 

I'm not a Tepper apologist, I am very critical of what he has done and sometimes it's not what he does but how he does it that bothers people. This is pretty normal though when you're dealing with a billionaire who knows nothing about this business he's competing with other billionaires in. He will figure it out, it just might take some time. 

• Pie 4