• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TPS Graded All 31 First Rounders from 2023

Hoenheim

How would you grade Bryce?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. How did Bryce do year 1?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

9 hours ago, Harbingers said:

I said it before and I’ll say it till the cows come home. Trading up in the first round besides maybe a 2-3 spot positional move is the dumbest fugging thing. Hoping for a franchise QB at 1 is even more stupid. It’s actually a wonder the Texans may have hit on their pick. Good franchise QB’s usually don’t show up until after the top 10. 

Trading from 9th to 1st is essentially betting all in on a 2-7 off suit. 

The trade would have been a good one if we used the pick on Stroud. Fix the OL in the draft and FA (it’s not as bad as Bryce made them look, 14th longest time to pass in the league ain’t bad), find a solid WR and the team is ready.  Defense is there. 

5 hours ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

Bryce Young has no redeeming qualities. 

I dunno if he's even good for Manning Passing Academy because he has completely unorthodox footwork and body mechanics that most potential QB's will outgrow by junior year of high school. If there was a 6' and under ymca league he could give them some pointers

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, d-dave said:

While we all love knee jerk reactions to things, I think rushing to conclusions is pretty short sighted.

You can absolutely say that Bryce Young did not meet expectations.  That's true and accurate.  You can also say that he didn't have a lot of help.  Bryce was sold to the NFL fanbase as a guy who didn't need the support because he was a play maker.  He wasn't.  That's fair.  It's easy to look at the success of CJ Stroud and say "Why didn't we do that?!?  Bryce is a turd!!!"

But like most things in life, it's not so easy or useful to make fast decisions like that.  Bryce was not helped by the Frankenstein System of Reich and Brown.  His offensive line was not great.  His Qb coaching was sub par.  Basically, when you throw a doughnut in a port a john, it becomes just another piece of poo in that gross blue water.

The 2023 Panthers SUCKED!  Bad!!  Now the question is, can Bryce be redeemed?  Yes.  If he gets the right coaching and system, and is taught how to be an NFL QB by his coaches, then we can really see what's up.  Next year is going to be a cluster as well, as we work our way out of the porta potty world.  I expect Bryce to be better.  To improve in those fundamentals.  To play with more poise and anticipation.

If he has a repeat in 2024, then I think it's much more fair to call him a bust than right now.  Remember, as much fan as it is kicking someone while they're down, he was the consensus #1 pick.  If Houston had traded to 1, they would have selected him.  

Chill out, enjoy some football, and let's obsess over our next coaching staff and GM...=)

This gets repeated often and maybe it’s true to an extent but outside of one half he showed absolutely nothing all year. Even on bad teams there are plays to be made and he literally turned in the same performance every week. 60% completion, less than 200 yards passing, 1 good drive per game, less than 5 YPA. It was like clockwork. He didn’t appear to improve at all. And then there’s his lack of about every trait that makes a franchise QB a franchise QB.

He wasn’t worth what we traded for and never will be. I’m confident that book has already been written. The only question is can he avoid making it the worst move in NFL draft history. Color me skeptical, the dude plays like Clausen.

Edited by BIGH2001
  • Pie 2

On 1/13/2024 at 12:33 PM, d-dave said:

If he has a repeat in 2024, then I think it's much more fair to call him a bust than right now.  Remember, as much fan as it is kicking someone while they're down, he was the consensus #1 pick.  If Houston had traded to 1, they would have selected him.  

Not sure I agree with you on all of this. Sure, he was not surrounded by talent and coaching hurt more than it helped. Also, you can't really call anyone a bust after 1 year. BUT, he wasn't the consensus #1 pick. True, most mocks had him ahead of Stroud, but who knows what Houston would have done.