• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interviews: Round Two

Mr. Scot

8 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

“Maneuvering” interesting, that lines up with what Leaky was saying. 

I don't get it, what would we gain by not announcing second interviews? Would that infer we want to hire someone whos available right now?

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Samppson said:

I don't get it, what would we gain by not announcing second interviews? Would that infer we want to hire someone whos available right now?

I’m not too sure either, maybe to get a leg up on someone else wanting to interview one of our candidates? 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Samppson said:

Well from that second tweet, it is suggested; to keep other teams in the dark, in terms of possible plans.   Even if you have set up a second interview set up, could run risk of what just happened with Titans and Callahan.  

Least it's a possible theory

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Leaky_Faucet said:

Johnson is the obvious front runner, but likely a long shot. Personally, I think all of the Canales hype is an intentional diversion until the Panthers satisfy the Rooney Rule since nobody else is really interested in him.

The big question is who is the diversion for?

Wonder if it could be Macdonald?  One of the guys being interviewed everywhere that we had for round 1.  

Everyone and their grandma knows we've been interested in Ben Johnson, and that the Commanders are eyeing him, so there's not much to really dance around there.  

Any word on Macdonald from your end?

I’d like to start hearing names for the staffs these guys would assemble. I get the Canales appeal but I feel like you’re hiring him, not really sure about the connections he’s built on back of his specific resume’.

19 minutes ago, Growl said:

I’d like to start hearing names for the staffs these guys would assemble. I get the Canales appeal but I feel like you’re hiring him, not really sure about the connections he’s built on back of his specific resume’.

Yeah I like Canales as well, probably not my first choice, I'd really like to make a run at Mike MacDonald if the Ben Johnson campaign doesn't work. I have a feeling that Tepper is aiming to really go all out for him, it makes no sense how quiet we are on the second interview fronts when he's pined over him for two years. I feel like if they lose Sunday, he may be waiting in SF with a stack of cash lol.

Edited by Samppson

18 minutes ago, Growl said:

I’m interested in EEs potential staff, where does he snatch an OC from. He IS best friends with Nathaniel Hackett lol

13 minutes ago, Samppson said:

Yeah I like Canales as well, probably not my first choice, I'd really like to make a run at Mike MacDonald if the Ben Johnson campaign doesn't work. I have a feeling that Tepper is aiming to really go all out for him, it makes no sense how quiet we are on the second interview fronts when he's pined over him for two years. I feel like if they lose Sunday, he may be waiting in SF with a stack of cash lol.

I like Slowik’s San Fran connections and I like that McDonald is ravens ecosystem material along with having a cup of coffee with Harbaugh, but I’d need to see his offensive vision and connections and they need to be really good. I do feel like McDonald probably has the highest floor but the stat about every single team in the league switching OCs going back to the start of last season is absolutely outrageous. You have to have some offensive continuity and you have to have a strong offensive mind.

with the Morgan hiring I honestly don’t really like the idea of Canales. I don’t really respect Seattle organizationally and there’s way too much seahawk ethos in that bloc.

that said you can’t evaluate guys simply on the basis of where they cut their teeth, if you did then Morgan wouldn’t have a job here and Canales does provide a track record of success in the passing game so I would definitely support the hiring but I feel like with Slowik you’re getting that plus a healthy outside viewpoint from a successful coaching tree.

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Growl said:

I like Slowik’s San Fran connections and I like that McDonald is ravens ecosystem material along with having a cup of coffee with Harbaugh, but I’d need to see his offensive vision and connections and they need to be really good. I do feel like McDonald probably has the highest floor but the stat about every single team in the league switching OCs going back to the start of last season is absolutely outrageous. You have to have some offensive continuity and you have to have a strong offensive mind.

Yeah the OC poaching is definitely a concern, feels like you need to be constantly bringing along new guys to replace your current OC, but at times that feels unsustainable, not everyone is going to make a good playcaller, so eventually you will probably be in a bad spot like the Eagles after losing Steichen.

I guess I do view MacDonald as not only a brilliant defensive mind, but also a culture changer. I think I would put the Ravens up there with almost any organization, they seem to always be in contention, well run etc. I guess my main concern with him is how much of his success is the organization/ecosystem they have built. I feel like it's probably a lot easier to have success there, things are in control and not toxic, he probably hasnt faced half the issues he will face here in trying to change a culture, so I dont know how that will work out.

I guess if hes a good leader, he would sort it out.

my concern is that Tepper loves the Seahawks and is tantalized by the idea of stacking a bunch of Seahawks background guys together (especially after the lack of uniformity in the last bloc was considered a primary contributor to it’s failure.)

why would Tepper love the Seahawks? The “forward thinking” grandstanding they’re known for. Scott Fitterer muttering something in his interview about Microsoft was part of the reason he got hired.

seattle fluked into a great coach and a great QB and they dragged a lot of stupid drafting and dumb trades along with them for the duration of their stint there but to an outsider it looks like “wow what a well ran team.”