• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official: Panthers hire Canales

Mr. Scot

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Yeah, it seems like he would've learned. Why not a three to four year contract?

As others have said, it's the price Tepper has to pay because of canning Reich so fast. Another thing, is that it Canales does work out, Tepper has him under contract for six years at a cheap rate.

10 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Yeah, it seems like he would've learned. Why not a three to four year contract?

The firm they used to hire Canales had the Rams give McVay a 6 year and the Niners give Shanahan a 6 year.  It is suppose to acknowledge it will take several years to correct this team and roster.  From the outside looking in, it looks like Tepper is letting the firm do their thing.  

• Pie 8

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

The firm they used to hire Canales had the Rams give McVay a 6 year and the Niners give Shanahan a 6 year.  It is suppose to acknowledge it will take several years to correct this team and roster.  From the outside looking in, it looks like Tepper is letting the firm do their thing.  

Yeah. This was expected.

Even before Sportsology was involved, general chatter was that something like this would be necessary.

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

As others have said, it's the price Tepper has to pay because of canning Reich so fast. Another thing, is that it Canales does work out, Tepper has him under contract for six years at a cheap rate.

I'm really not buying the Tepper tax thing with an unproven rookie HC that couldn't even smell an interview anywhere else. Moreover, since when does Tepper care about a "cheap rate?" Nah, I ain't buying it. 

Just now, top dawg said:

I'm really not buying the Tepper tax thing with an unproven rookie HC that couldn't even smell an interview anywhere else. Moreover, since when does Tepper care about a "cheap rate?" Nah, I ain't buying it. 

I do, primarily because it's the same thing that happened with Jed York.

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Now that makes more sense, though I still don't necessarily love it.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah. This was expected.

It also appears Dan Morgan got the guy he wanted due to their history.  GM heavily involved in picking his HC, search and numbers mimic previous coaches hired through the same firm.  So far so good as far as Tepper meddling....

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

It also appears Dan Morgan got the guy he wanted due to their history.  GM heavily involved in picking his HC, search and numbers mimic previous coaches hired through the same firm.  So far so good as far as Tepper meddling....

Here's hoping 

Just now, top dawg said:

Now that makes more sense, though I still don't necessarily love it.

If it turns out like the other two mentioned we will all love it.  At the end of the day HC money doesn't matter to anyone but the owner.  All of the money owed to Reich doesn't affect our team outlook in any way.  

• Pie 2

26 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Also, Tepper gave Rhule an even longer contract (7 years).  Reich probably would have gotten longer than a 4-year contract if he hadn't been 61 years old.

Some advice from an old friend...

Ron Rivera, the winningest head coach in the history of the Carolina Panthers, has some advice for new head coach Dave Canales. But before we get to that, the coach also had a few words for the team’s fans.

“Be patient,” he said. “Ask them to be patient, like they were for me.”

Hopefully they’ll be able to put some veteran guys around him, to help him as he tries to navigate through the pitfalls of being a head coach in the league... You have to make sure you are surrounded by people that are going to help you. You want them to tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear.”

Rivera said one of the early errors he made as a first-time head coach at Carolina was that he didn’t find mentors quickly enough who had been head coaches in the NFL.

“That was one of the first mistakes I made,” Rivera said. “Honestly, my first two years I didn’t have a (former NFL head coach as a) mentor, somebody that when I needed some guidance or an opinion, would provide it.

Rivera said part of the way he connected with Charlotte was through community work and added that Canales would be smart to do the same. “This is not just about a football team,” Rivera said. “It’s about the community. You need to make sure you help with that, and I’m sure he will. That’s so important. That’s how the fans get to know who you are, so then they can get behind you and support you.”

• Pie 2