• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young’s Arm Strength

0kBoomer

36 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

This is kind of interesting.  ESPN has a redraft for this past draft..

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39423332/redrafting-first-two-rounds-63-picks-2023-nfl-class

it has us taking Stroud at 1, AR to the Texans, and Young goes at 11 to the Titans.

The bears would be pissed if that's how the draft went. We wouldn't be shipping #1 to them for sure. Maybe not even a top 10 pick.

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

And ‘13 and ‘17

Eh, he had Gross, Wharton, and Kalil to go with Chandler (who was sort of OK at guard) and Bell in 2013 and Norwell, Turner as well as Daryl Williams and Tyler Larsen (not great but at least lasted several seasons in the league) in 2017. Overall I'd say those lines were comparable to this year in terms of overall talent.

The first 1/2 to 3/4s of 2014 though... Bell at LT, Silatolu at LG, Fernando Velasco at RG, and Chandler at RT was a whole different level of suck. Couple that with rookie Kelvin Benjamin, rookie Philly Brown, and Jerricho Cotchery at receiver and it was IMO the worst offensive lineup Cam ever had from top to bottom. Even with that though Cam put out over 3,000 passing yards and an 18/12 TD/INT ratio.

No question though that Cam elevated the offense around him year in and year out. I just don't see Bryce doing anything like that, a la Teddy; he will need superior talent.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Why would the Titans take Bryce over Levis? I wanted no part of Levis but if they offered to swap them right now I'd go for it. Levis at least looks like a guy who could potentially develop into a legit starter.

I was wondering the same thing. I would ship Bryce on out the door fir ANY of the top QB's taken this hear without a second thought. Bryce for Levis would be a no brainer for me currently.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

We need someone to pretend to work BOFA to just carry around some measuring tape, happen to pass Bryce, ask for an autograph for their kid, and do a quick take-off and bolt.  I kid, I kid.

It's always been my guess he's right around 5'9.  his eye level (the important thing) is about an inch below Kyler's).  Less stocky but more length.  Okay, that's enough of me investigating photos of NFL players for today lol.

FqAPXeZWcAc2f45.jpg:large

Saban is 5'6, they're likely in similar dress shoes with modest heels here:

ap21346101587231.jpg

Saban was listed at 5'6" during his playing days, which was more than 50 years ago. Men start losing height beginning in their 40s at a rate of 1/2 inch per decade on average, so Saban today should be around 5'4" and a 1/2, maybe 5'5" tops.  From eyeballing various photos of Bryce standing next to Saban, Bryce is probably around 5'9", plus or minus 1/2 inch. He's unlikely to be 5'10" and most definitely not 6'0" as measured by Alabama. 

This just reminds me... Remember all the praises heaped on Bryce before the draft? People were crooning about his elastic arm, his ability to make off-platform throws, his super processing, his calm and poise, his elite S2 score, yada, yada, yada? Except for that snake oil S2 score, it was all fugging bullshit!

Bryce is the most deceptive hype job to date, all thanks to the 'Bama Machine and its cronies at ESPN, and the Teppers bought it hook, line, and sinker. If you want to predict his ceiling, first you must consciously ignore the pre-draft lies told about Bryce and make assessments solely based on his NFL tape. 

Ask yourself this: what do I see on his NFL tape that tells me he's gonna turn out OK or be deserving of the capital we gave up to draft him at no. 1? When viewed this way, the outlook for Bryce becomes much, much bleaker. 

bFGV6-03VIAgTH2Q.thumb.jpeg.5fe8675dba08ae191cdc733b844af46c.jpeg.aa7e1bb8bdcf46cbb7bb950467cdf0ac.jpeg.6f2ea6614ec7fe54e80af84a5d5bf9bd.jpeg

Edited by GhostOfDocAnderson
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

This is kind of interesting.  ESPN has a redraft for this past draft..

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39423332/redrafting-first-two-rounds-63-picks-2023-nfl-class

it has us taking Stroud at 1, AR to the Texans, and Young goes at 11 to the Titans.

Bryce at 11? What round? The 11th in the third round or lower? If so, that sounds about right. I personally would draft him at 11 in the fifth or lower and make him a project.

Edited by GhostOfDocAnderson
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, GhostOfDocAnderson said:

Saban was listed at 5'6" during his playing days, which was more than 50 years ago. Men start losing height beginning in their 40s at a rate of 1/2 inch per decade on average, so Saban today should be around 5'4" and a 1/2, maybe 5'5" tops.  From eyeballing various photos of Bryce standing next to Saban, Bryce is probably around 5'9", plus or minus 1/2 inch. He's unlikely to be 5'10" and most definitely not 6'0" as measured by Alabama. 

This just reminds me... Remember all the praises heaped on Bryce before the draft? People were crooning about his elastic arm, his ability to make off-platform throws, his super processing, his calm and poise, his elite S2 score, yada, yada, yada? Except for that snake oil S2 score, it was all fugging bullshit!

Bryce is the most deceptive hype job to date, all thanks to the 'Bama Machine and its cronies at ESPN, and the Teppers bought it hook, line, and sinker. If you want to predict his ceiling, first you must consciously ignore the pre-draft lies told about Bryce and make assessments solely based on his NFL tape. 

Ask yourself this: what do I see on his NFL tape that tells me he's gonna turn out OK or be deserving of the capital we gave up to draft him at no. 1? When viewed this way, the outlook for Bryce becomes much, much bleaker. 

bFGV6-03VIAgTH2Q.thumb.jpeg.5fe8675dba08ae191cdc733b844af46c.jpeg.aa7e1bb8bdcf46cbb7bb950467cdf0ac.jpeg.6f2ea6614ec7fe54e80af84a5d5bf9bd.jpeg

Bama really had that kid at over 6 feet tall. LOL

This is why teams doing their own evaluations is so important. You cant just go off what everybody tells you. Saban finally got a QB drafted number one overall and then he retires. 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, KSpan said:

Eh, he had Gross, Wharton, and Kalil to go with Chandler (who was sort of OK at guard) and Bell in 2013 and Norwell, Turner as well as Daryl Williams and Tyler Larsen (not great but at least lasted several seasons in the league) in 2017. Overall I'd say those lines were comparable to this year in terms of overall talent.

The first 1/2 to 3/4s of 2014 though... Bell at LT, Silatolu at LG, Fernando Velasco at RG, and Chandler at RT was a whole different level of suck. Couple that with rookie Kelvin Benjamin, rookie Philly Brown, and Jerricho Cotchery at receiver and it was IMO the worst offensive lineup Cam ever had from top to bottom. Even with that though Cam put out over 3,000 passing yards and an 18/12 TD/INT ratio.

No question though that Cam elevated the offense around him year in and year out. I just don't see Bryce doing anything like that, a la Teddy; he will need superior talent.

13 he had Gross so that was something, but 17 was pretty bad too. Larsen and Williams were awful. Norwell had one good year, Turner had maybe three. Kalil was always solid but really I’d say every year after Gross was gone he had a poor OL except ‘15 when it was just decent rather than poor. He always had ludicrously bad tackles after Gross except Oher who was just decent at best.  ‘14 was certainly the worst, one of the worst OLs in history maybe heh. 

To sum it up, in nine years his first two years his lines were solid, 15 it was decent and the other six were poor to historically bad. That’s the way I saw it anyway. 

6 hours ago, GhostOfDocAnderson said:

This reality does not depress me any less regarding Bryce but what you just said here is all true unfortunately.

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, GhostOfDocAnderson said:

Bryce at 11? What round? The 11th in the third round or lower? If so, that sounds about right. I personally would draft him at 11 in the fifth or lower and make him a project.

Nah I read something different from a YouTube comment…..

16 hours ago, GhostOfDocAnderson said:

This picture is hilarious. It looks like someones highschool kid put on a Alabama jacket and took a picture with the Heisman.😂😂😂

• Pie 1