• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Go back to power running scheme..

Jmac

We traded up to #1 so we could have any QB with a pulse hand the ball off 35+ times a game?  That's our plan?  I don't think so.

Yes, we need to be capable of running the ball - regardless of what blocking scheme gets us there.  But we don't need to become the 85 Bears.  Or the 2023 Titans.  We need to be able to make explosive plays in the pass game.

• Pie 1

56 minutes ago, CRA said:

you don't need a bellcow RB in today's NFL.  If you have a good pass game and scheme....anyone can run.   You can draft a RB.

CMC is an icing on the cake type player.  Luxury.  

You don't need a bellcow RB, but having one is awfully nice.  Young could benefit from a dominant run game.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Everything I've read makes me think we're headed toward being more of a passing team.

stuff he said heading into tampa pointed in the direction of being pretty adaptive and opportunistic...run if it's working, pass if it's working. 

with his emphasis on protecting the ball, i'd count on a lot of running and a lot of shorter high percentage passes.

but i think he's also going to be pushing the run a good bit. the goal, i think, is to be able to be balanced and proficient in passing game and run game so you can switch to or lean on either one as needed. if it goes the way it did in tampa, he's going to keep pushing some elements of it when it isn't working all that well until it is working. 

• Pie 2

11 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

June cut probably lol.  Dont really save anything but the fact Canales mentioned Hubbard and didnt mention Sanders at all probably isnt the best sign.

With his cap number?  Nah, he'll be here.  After the 2024 season, yeah, he's gone.

$10M cap hit pre-June

$7.5M post-June cap hit

13 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

The scheme we are probably going to run definitely isnt a power run.  It will actually focus on passing to rb a lot if its anything like they did in TB.  We will probably draft a pass catching rb in the mid to later rounds.

I 100% agree. I think Sanders showed nothing and we don't have a guy on the roster who can catch like that. It seems like it is integral to the offense. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

You don't need a bellcow RB, but having one is awfully nice.  Young could benefit from a dominant run game.

it's 2024.  Goal shouldn't be to hide your QB behind a dominant run game....especially a #1 overall QB you traded 2 first and DJ Moore for. 

Entire league is designed to take advantage of the pass attack.   It's so easy the short pass attack has supplement/replaced a lot of the run game.  We shouldn't be building toward a John Fox O because Bryce sucks.  You just replace Bryce.   

No run game would have been dominant last season given what the pass O was doing.  It's actually impressive our run game did what it did last season given at no point was an opposing D worried about the pass.  

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, PanthersGTI said:

I 100% agree. I think Sanders showed nothing and we don't have a guy on the roster who can catch like that. It seems like it is integral to the offense. 

things said last offseason for 200 Alex

how that wasn't addressed last offseason continues to be mindboggling.  A relatively cheap element to a committee.  Fitterer didn't do it.  Overpaid an early down runner who Philly told us sucked in the pass game. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

things said last offseason for 200 Alex

how that wasn't addressed last offseason continues to be mindboggling.  A relatively cheap element to a committee.  Fitterer didn't do it.  Overpaid an early down runner who Philly told us sucked in the pass game. 

2 things. 1 they probably didn't think he or the offense was going to be this bad. I think anyone would have thought he would have at least been "serviceable" at his worst. We got way worse then that, he was flat out awful. 2 I bet Staley had a lot to do with him coming in as well, Sanders was his guy and I don't think Fitt or Reich had the balls to say no. 

Just now, CRA said:

it's 2024.  Goal shouldn't be to hide your QB behind a dominant run game....especially a #1 overall QB you traded 2 first and DJ Moore for. 

Entire league is designed to take advantage of the pass attack.   It's so easy the short pass attack has supplement/replaced a lot of the run game.  We shouldn't be building toward a John Fox O because Bryce sucks.  You just replace Bryce.   

No run game would have been dominant last season given what the pass O was doing.  It's actually impressive our run game did what it did last season given at no point was an opposing D worried about the pass.  

Lol, with the year.  Yes, the NFL is made to be pass happy now, but a solid run game game can take you far.

I mean let's make RBs go the way of FBs, scrap the trenches and make the entire League like the Pro Bowl game.  That looks fun!

If Tepper/Fittereer screwed the pooch with Bryce and can't turn into a legit #1 QB, he absolutely needs a running game to help him out.  I need that too in order for the games to be tolerable to watch.

A strong passing game and solid rushing attack are not mutually exclusive, even in 2024.

I think even a great QB works best with a power running game. For reference, please see Pacheco and McCaffrey in the Super Bowl. Both guys are excellent power runners and the threat of them as such gives each QB perfect play-action pass situations.

Dang, I wish we had CMC back, but there were these idiots...

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

If Tepper/Fittereer screwed the pooch with Bryce and can't turn into a legit #1 QB, he absolutely needs a running game to help him out.  I need that too in order for the games to be tolerable to watch.

but again, if you realized you screwed the pooch with Bryce? Why wouldn't you just replace Bryce.....vs catering your team/talent/investments toward outdated football going forward? 

you can draft a RB in mid to late rounds and have a good run game in today's NFL if you got the passing game in place (and that's the most important things to have in place given the rules).

1 minute ago, CRA said:

but again, if you realized you screwed the pooch with Bryce? Why wouldn't you just replace Bryce.....vs catering your team/talent/investments toward outdated football going forward? 

you can draft a RB in mid to late rounds and have a good run game in today's NFL if you got the passing game in place (and that's the most important things to have in place given the rules).

Bryce isn't getting replaced this season, so do whatever we can to help him out.  We can utilize a power running out of the gate without hardly any personnel changes.   Heck, Wilks nearly parlayed a dominant run game into a full time HC gig here and he did it mid-season.  Not only that, but our OL is suited to a downhill style too and no, we aren't replacing the  entire OL this season either, so work to their strengths.

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Bryce isn't getting replaced this season, so do whatever we can to help him out.  We can utilize a power running out of the gate without hardly any personnel changes.   Heck, Wilks nearly parlayed a dominant run game into a full time HC gig here and he did it mid-season.  Not only that, but our OL is suited to a downhill style too and no, we aren't replacing the  entire OL this season either, so work to their strengths.

I got no issue w/ running the ball.   But I don't see the point in hiding Bryce Young at this point.  And I don't want to invest resources or acquire players going forward and building toward a run blocking centric OL. 

Biggest problem the Panthers have had is bad marriages.  If you want to "fix" Bryce Young.....you got to put him in a scheme that caters to him.  Not hides him.  No real end game to hiding him.  

I think we should focus on building a functional pass attack.  If Bryce can't do it you move on from him after or during this upcoming season.  Bryce needs speed at RB, slot, etc in the pass game.  You want to call him a PG and distributor.....have a scheme and talent that sets it up.  We didn't do that last year. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1