• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rumor: Tee Higgins to be tagged

Jmac

27 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I still think our best bet to land a #1 WR outside of the draft is via a Brian Burns tag + trade.

Seems there are always teams looking to trade receivers they don't want to pay.

Could we see if Huff would come in FA and then S&T Burns for Higgins? We could then go OL at 33 or if someone like Trice or Robinson slips, and then go with a Thielen replacement WR like Roman Wilson/Malachi Corley/Ricky Pearsall at 65? Re-sign ISM for WR4, sign TE Noah Fant and trade Thielen to a contender for a late 5th/ early 6th rounder.....

Higgins - Mingo - Wilson/Corley - ISM

Fant-Tremble

On defense, we add Huff, re-sign Luvu and YGM....

Brown-NT??-Robinson/Trice

Huff-Luvu-Shaq-YGM

Am I living in a Madden-esque faux reality?

4 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Since Tepper bought the team, there has never been a rebuild full scale. We've tried to buy cheap and flip for gold and it has failed miserably. This team can't go any further until Bryce proves he's not the guy. Now to a lot of fans, he's already proven that. For Tepper, his golden boy is going to have to crash and burn even more spectacularly for him to move on. 

If we had an owner that understood this is an NFL franchise and not a hedge fund, it would be different. But it's not and this is the Carolina Panthers of 2024. 

I just don't get the vision with Tepper. It's like the opposite of everyone else. He's traded away all of our elite players. We have nothing to show for it.

The Bryce trade was important. He had to choose the right QB and from the looks of it he chose the wrong one. So now he sets us back even more. Oh and we loss Moore on top of it.

Seems like everyone has success after they leave this poo hole. 

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I just don't get the vision with Tepper. It's like the opposite of everyone else. He's traded away all of our elite players. We have nothing to show for it.

The Bryce trade was important. He had to choose the right QB and from the looks of it he chose the wrong one. So now he sets us back even more. Oh and we loss Moore on top of it.

Seems like everyone has success after they leave this poo hole. 

Nobody got the vision except for Scott Fuggerer and we saw how that turned out. The Huddle was right about major moves more than Scott by a long shot and that's just damn sad. 

The trade was important, but I think it was also premature for a couple of reasons. 

1. Reich was the wrong coach from the start. I know you love Wilks, but he was never my choice. My choices were Steichen, Johnson and Ryans. I know Steve is a local guy and he did pull off some wins at the end of the season, but personally I love the energy and passion from Steichen and especially Ryans. Ryans was always my number 1 if we chose a defensive HC. 

2. We were not a couple of pieces away from being a real contender. We really didn't know what we had because Rhule was such a buffoon that he didn't put anyone in a position to succeed, or even be productive. It's hard to build around a team when you don't even know what your team has. 

3. Most important, the team had no real identity. You can't pick a new QB to fit a system when you don't even know what that system is. We were a year removed from Rhule trying to get rid of "Keep Pounding" and replace it with The Process. Again, we didn't know the effectiveness of many of the players because they weren't used enough, or they were used out of position. 

Even after the trade, we weren't putting BY, CJ, or AR into a position to be successful. You've got a guy trying to steer a rudderless ship. The team needs direction and that starts with Tepper. Right now, Tepper looks like a toddler in the cereal aisle screaming at the top of his lungs and the fans are the people staring at him wishing he would shut the hell up. 

2 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Since Tepper bought the team, there has never been a rebuild full scale. We've tried to buy cheap and flip for gold and it has failed miserably. This team can't go any further until Bryce proves he's not the guy. Now to a lot of fans, he's already proven that. For Tepper, his golden boy is going to have to crash and burn even more spectacularly for him to move on. 

If we had an owner that understood this is an NFL franchise and not a hedge fund, it would be different. But it's not and this is the Carolina Panthers of 2024. 

shoot, never a full scale rebuild? .... never an actual rebuild in reality on any level IMO.  

I guess there is an argument for last season....  But we hired a dinosaur HC and dinosaur consultants.  Traded away draft picks.   Spent the most money of anyone in free agency on a RB in Sanders.  Brought in a bunch of old or tired vets like Theilen, Chark, Hurst with playoff and win now talk.  That's not a rebuild.  

2 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Losers will continue to make losing moves every year. I'm tired of debating the same thing every year.

Sign scraps in FA and hope our rookies can help contribute. It's what we have been doing since Tepper took over!

Wake up people we need Elite Players!

You are correct, losers continue to make losing movies

And a team in the current state of the Panthers roster/franchise, backing up the brinks truck and overpaying for Chris Jones.... is a losing move

This team is not an interior pass rusher away from contention, in fact, with Brown already here, one could argue it's actually one of the last things we need.  We need an edge pass rusher, not someone who mostly plays in the interior of the DL.

On defense we need an edge rusher, another LB or two, some DB's, and a massive space eating DT if we're going to stick with the 3-4, not someone like Chris Jones.

On offense we need a couple WRs, a better TE, some better OL, and maybe even a RB, and that's before even considering that we still need a long term QB as Bryce aint it.

So yes, we need elite players, but not someone who plays like Chris Jones does.  He literally plays the asme position as our only Pro Bowler from this past season, why would you then waste our cap room to sign someone at the same position with so many other glaring holes we have?

This is yet again where I say you are just a Madden analyst, you just want all the best players, position and cap implications aside.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

You are correct, losers continue to make losing movies

And a team in the current state of the Panthers roster/franchise, backing up the brinks truck and overpaying for Chris Jones.... is a losing move

This team is not an interior pass rusher away from contention, in fact, with Brown already here, one could argue it's actually one of the last things we need.  We need an edge pass rusher, not someone who mostly plays in the interior of the DL.

On defense we need an edge rusher, another LB or two, some DB's, and a massive space eating DT if we're going to stick with the 3-4, not someone like Chris Jones.

On offense we need a couple WRs, a better TE, some better OL, and maybe even a RB, and that's before even considering that we still need a long term QB as Bryce aint it.

So yes, we need elite players, but not someone who plays like Chris Jones does.  He literally plays the asme position as our only Pro Bowler from this past season, why would you then waste our cap room to sign someone at the same position with so many other glaring holes we have?

This is yet again where I say you are just a Madden analyst, you just want all the best players, position and cap implications aside.

Well we will continue to suck your way.

Maybe some day Tepper will realize you need elite players to win. Look at our roster and you wonder why we are the worst team in football.

Hopefully your way works sooner than later. 

3 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Maybe some day Tepper will realize you need elite players to win. Look at our roster and you wonder why we are the worst team in football.

I’m all for getting better. But you’ve lobbied for Higgins, extending Burns, and now sign Jones. Each player would make this team better I agree.   I just don’t see we do all of that.  Even if have all 3 next year and solid draft we wouldn’t break 10 wins.  Detroit turned it around quickly with the right hire and recent success in the draft. We just have to hope Morgan/Canales can do the same.  It starts with extending Brown and Luvu then hopefully 2 contributing quality starters this  draft.

23 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

You still somehow continue to miss the point

It's not about not trying to get good (or as you like to call them, elite) players, it's about being smart about which ones you go after and who you give big contracts to.

When you're still at the starting line of a rebuild, giving a DT who will turn 30 before training camp starts a contract that will likely make him the highest paid DT in the league, when you already have a pro bowl DT who you need to re-sign this summer (or next at worst), is NOT the way to do it, no matter how much that player might improve your team.

A pass rushing DT is literally the last thing this team needs right now, honestly I can't think of a position/specialty that we need less right now.  WR, OL, TE, DE, OLB, CB, S are all positions that we need more than that right now, and again that's before even considering our bust at QB.

You don't fix an NFL franchise over one offseason unless you have a ton of draft assets and cap space and hit home runs with all of it (like the Texans last year). 

If you're going to overspend on players at this point in a re-build, they need to be on players 27 years old, or preferably even younger, as they need to be players who will help expedite the re-build while also young enough to still be there once you're competitive, that's not Jones at this point in his career, he's got 2-4 years of elite play left.

• Pie 2

On 2/14/2024 at 3:36 PM, CamWhoaaCam said:

Oh, and also, you like to say "continue to suck your way" and "hopefully your way works sooner than later"

Well........ that's also dumb as there was literally only 1 move we made last year that was something I'd have done, they absolutely went about this NOT in "my way" by making bad moves and giving bad contracts to the wrong players.

I said from the start that giving away a haul to move up in this draft was dumb, we still did it.  Once we did it I said drafting Bryce given his physical limitations was dumb, we still did it.  I said giving the contracts to Sanders, Chark, and Hurst were dumb, we still did it.  I said letting Burns play on the franchise tag was dumb as he'd either explode and cost us more or play worse, kill his trade value, and still not be able to sign him long term, which is exactly what is happening.

Literally the only move we made last offseason that I was happy with, was signing Thielen as I said he'd be a perfect safety valve for a rookie QB, which I couldn't have been more correct on.

Complain about how where we are and past moves not working, because that's fair.  But don't push for making more bad moves just because the previous bad moves didn't work out and you now want a quick fix instead of the multi year proper build up that we should have started a few years ago.

Again, this is real life NFL vs Madden, they're not the same.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 2

24 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

^This guy is a robot. He repeats the same thing every time as if he made a new point. Maybe someday you will figure out we just don't agree on team building.

But you don't understand this so you will continue to repeat yourself.

Serious question. How would you fix the offense and still sign Chris Jones and DB?

22 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Serious question. How would you fix the offense and still sign Chris Jones and DB?

This offense can't be fixed with Bryce at QB imo. The best we can hope for is the defense being the best in the league and hope Bryce can become a game manager. That is our best chance at winning next year.

Adding Jones to this defense and Evero calling plays would give us a legit opportunity to have the best defense in football.

8 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

This offense can't be fixed with Bryce at QB imo. The best we can hope for is the defense being the best in the league and hope Bryce can become a game manager. That is our best chance at winning next year.

Adding Jones to this defense and Evero calling plays would give us a legit opportunity to have the best defense in football.

So, if the offense can’t be fixed with Young, WTF are we wasting resources on Chris Jones? When we finally have a good QB, Jones will be in the bigger cap charges (we’d backload it in order to sign DB and Burns) and he will likely be trending down. Also, LOL at Chris Jones making us the best D in the league. We were in the bottom 5 of the league in scoring D. Sure, we did great against Ridder, but against competent non-rookie QB offenses we gave up 187 points in 6 games (31 ppg), all losses.

Jones is basically getting us to 5 wins next year and maybe 6 or 7 in 2025 before Jones’s contract is now an anchor and our offense still sucks.

These half assed rebuilds are why we are where we are right now. Fitterer sucked and it probably didn’t matter but we spent a ton of cap and traded a ton of picks to stay in that 5-7 win range for 5 years before trading for Young officially tanked us. Signing Chris Jones while you admit Young isn’t that guy so we won’t be competitive until 2026 at the earliest is asinine.

Edited by WhoKnows
  • Pie 2

5 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Our Bryce led offense averaged 13 points per game. Hope is not a solution. The best defense in the NFL in 2023 was Baltimore and they averaged 16.2 allowed. We have to be 4 points better than the best team in the NFL last year to stand a chance at winning a game with the current state of our offense. What good does it do to have the best defense in football if you can't score?