• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My first 2024 Panthers Mock Draft

Verge

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It seems to me that if you want to properly evaluate a qb you must put him behind an OL that can hold a block for more than 2 seconds. That would be my priority over anything else at this point.  Because when the OL is getting beat like a drum then the entire offense is screwed. Without fixing that it doesn't matter how many weapons you give him if he doesn't have time to read the field and step up in the pocket to make the throw. But what do I know.

oline to me is far more a need to get fixed then wr, address both but lean heavily into the line

• Pie 2

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

slightly off topic and I agree he is tough but that is not sustainable in the least, they have to massively improve this season in protecting him,  call it luck or whatever but its amazing he didnt get seriously injured with some of the blind shots he took.  I seriously doubt he (or any other qb) can make it through 2 seasons of that

oh absolutely. no QB can sustain that for very long, physically or psychologically. his size doesn't have much to do with it. the abuse from defenses does. they HAVE to do a better job of protecting him and putting him in better situations. 

43 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Drew Brees is such a weird comparison. Brees is taller, had a stronger arm and played with more urgency. 

just relaying what it said, i dont see the comparison either but if the guy was hyped up enough among the professionals i can see the fear of not getting him unless you paid a handsome price tag. 

4 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

My theory was that one of the 4 qbs would have been there at our pick at 9. It would have been Richardson, Levis or Young IMO. We didn't have to trade up to get a qb and it proved to be exactly that way.

Young was never not going to be the first QB taken. 

• Pie 2

38 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

ATL had just drafted ridder and smith was comeback player of year.  Neither team was picking a qb.

i think that is too definitive a statement given what these teams do when it comes to quarterbacks. they certainly wouldnt have reached, but to say Desmond Ridder was where they were going to plant their flag long term is funny, picked in the third for a reason. 

26 minutes ago, rayzor said:

agreed to all of that. 

the two things that most thought would be an issue, supposed limited field of vision due to height and him snapping like a twig because he's so tiny.

he proved tougher than most thought, especially after getting sacked and hit as much as he did. durability isn't a concern anymore for him than anyone else.

field of vision issue...no QB looks over their OL. I heard a coupe QBs talk about that. average OL, like you said, is 6'4...plus a helmet on those big heads...how tall would a QB have to be to consistently look over his OL? 6'6? 6'7? It's all about finding lanes and knowing where everyone is supposed to be. 

he had his issues for sure, but the big ones weren't the issues that most talked about.

Not singling you out per se but it looks like a spot for the height thing. 

It isn’t the biggest deal to me, it wasn’t what I focused on. I never got much past my questions on  athleticism and arm strength not being plusses, or strengths. 

Anyhow, he is tippy toeing according to people that did focus. I have never tried to throw tippy toed, but I am thinking it is not an advantage. 

56 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Eye line really has nothing to do with it, it's about finding throwing lanes, understanding where your guys are supposed to be at any given time and being able to sort through the visual noise and identify who your guys are vs the other team, and the space between everyone as fast as possible. Peripherals and poo.

All 3 of the above QBs are below 6'4", which is the average height of an NFL offensive lineman. None of them can see over any offensive lineman if they are standing up. All of them have to find throwing lanes to be able to be able to throw to their teammates.

Bryce's height was never an issue last season. His arm strength or lack thereof, and his footwork were the bigger issues.

Sorry, but yes, they can see more lanes and over OL. Picture a 6’5” OL. When he is engaged with a defender, maybe you can’t see over their heads but the shoulders are 3 times the width of the head so I do think they would get better views even with OL partially blocking them. I’ll also point to the first game when Young threw right at Bates. I can remember which of the two it was but from the replay it sure seemed like Bozeman and the DT where right in the path and Young didn’t see Bates at all.

How many sacks did we have because Young had no chance to find an alternate target? I’m not sure I would call it as big an issue as arm strength but not having clean ass Bama pockets made his lack of vision a bigger issue than college. His off platform plays were supposed to be a big strength but we barely saw any of that.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Once you commit to having the smallest QB in the history of the league…. Everyone else around him needs to be big af. And for that reason, I’m out. 

We talked about this a lot. I was told in no uncertain terms that a few inches difference and 20 pounds (being generous) between him and Stroud were irrelevant and just fodder for people who wanted to be negative. Welp...

He certainly faces a steep climb to overcome his physical limitations.

But really it is all about how Bryce Young himself approaches the offseason. Does he tighten his circle and change the way he has approached his craft to this point after being coddled at Alabama? Get him in the gym and off his weight watchers diet. He's a first overall pick.

5 hours ago, Panthero said:

I'm not attacking either of you, but besides trading up for a QB there what can you do? Based on the qb's and the draft order the last several years unless we went up we still wouldn't have a qb to build around. 

Could have taken jordan love but would the team let him sit for years? Justin fields doesn't look like a franchise guy to me either. His stats are very pedestrian. If we don't trade up we likely are in great shape this year, but we've needed a qb since 2020. 

I think we gave up too much, but I don't see an alternative move. 

I mean, the obvious move is to suck it up and stand pat until 2024 when the QB class is more loaded, perhaps see if Levis falls, keep Moore and all your picks. Of course the Moore part of the equation is an afterthought because I couldn't have imagined it when the  offseason began, but I am not one that has a belief in giving up draft picks to move up, especially as it pertains to future years. I realize that sometimes you're going to feel compelled to do it, but it has to be for a slam-dunk player in my opinion if you're trading first and second round picks.

The QB class is so deep this year, that we'd have possibly been able to get a day-one starter on day two and still had Moore, our first this year and our second next year. Our options would have felt a lot more liberating than they do now. We're kinda under the gun with Burns (and maybe even Brown). We didn't play the odds---make the obvious move, which was to wait---and we've burned ourselves in several respects. It's going to cost us at least one to three years to get back on track.

• Pie 2

He’s been, and will continue to be, coddled here. At least a while longer.

I am hoping the overcompensation doesn’t get out of hand with this draft. Got to be BPA or awful close. 

With Bryce, pre draft last year...  It’s just that all the things added up. All the shortcomings (puns write themselves) amount to hurdles and how many do you want to have to overcome? They were adding up.

I am thinking, at the time, why do you pay extra to deal with that? You don’t, is the right answer. 

10 minutes ago, strato said:

Not singling you out per se but it looks like a spot for the height thing. 

It isn’t the biggest deal to me, it wasn’t what I focused on. I never got much past my questions on  athleticism and arm strength not being plusses, or strengths. 

Anyhow, he is tippy toeing according to people that did focus. I have never tried to throw tippy toed, but I am thinking it is not an advantage. 

his bounce hopping in the pocket is fuging nuts

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

We talked about this a lot. I was told in no uncertain terms that a few inches difference and 20 pounds (being generous) between him and Stroud were irrelevant and just fodder for people who wanted to be negative. Welp...

He certainly faces a steep climb to overcome his physical limitations.

But really it is all about how Bryce Young himself approaches the offseason. Does he tighten his circle and change the way he has approached his craft to this point after being coddled at Alabama? Get him in the gym and off his weight watchers diet. He's a first overall pick.

why would this off season be any different then what hes had since 8th grade.  The kid is who he is at this point.  The mechanics arent changing