• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Getting Crunch Time for the Panthers and Brian Burns

45catfan

What to do with Burns?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Burns should be

• Frachised tagged
    • Transitional tagged
    • Re-singed to a top 5 Edge contract
    • Traded for draft capital or player(s)
    • Let test free agency and if signed away, at least get a high comp pick in 2025

If Burns doesn't want to come back here (which is obviously the case IMO), you're looking at either the tag or letting him walk and getting whatever comp may be awarded in 2025.

For all of our opinions, he's rated the #1 overall Free Agent by The Athletic and will be sought after, regardless of what we think of his effort or 2023 play.  

You risk the tag and see who calls.  

Interestingly enough, I think the teams who own the picks that equal his value are the likeliest destinations:

27-30: Cardinals, Bills, Lions, & Ravens.  Just get one of those picks and call it a day.  

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

If Burns doesn't want to come back here (which is obviously the case IMO), you're looking at either the tag or letting him walk and getting whatever comp may be awarded in 2025.

For all of our opinions, he's rated the #1 overall Free Agent by The Athletic and will be sought after, regardless of what we think of his effort or 2023 play.  

You risk the tag and see who calls.  

Interestingly enough, I think the teams who own the picks that equal his value are the likeliest destinations:

27-30: Cardinals, Bills, Lions, & Ravens.  Just get one of those picks and call it a day.  

this is how I feel exactly. Would love to get a 4th-6th too to take an extra flyer.

36 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

Burns ain't half a pep.  Tagging him would put him in a reasonable contract for next season and some edge needy team would (or should) give us something of value for him to have him around $20M and have the rights to negotiate with him.....let him be their headache. 

He should have put up the numbers this past season, instead he had one really good game and then played it safe.  He is not worth $30M until he actually shows he is, which I don't think he can.  Hell, Hassan Reddick is a much better player than Burns and can't get into the $20Ms. 

Tag would be $23mil. Better than 30, but still way more than we should be paying him and I just don't want to risk getting stuck with him for that amount.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The franchise tag is not top dollar.  Its 20 million for next season.

It's time we make a decision on Burns. Either sign him long-term or trade him. I don't think I can take 2 more years of the huddle discussing Burns contract.

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The franchise tag is not top dollar.  Its 20 million for next season.

The issue is not the number, welll its the number but its the cap number. the team has around 30 million in space. burns @ 22mill + rookie pool 5 mill = nothing but a couple mill for in-season injuries. im sure thats the biggest issue.....i take that back burns play is the true issue....

Edited by Basbear

So you want to tag and trade Burns. Let’s see how this will play out. 

As soon as you offer the tag, 22M of your salary cap is frozen. Tied to a player with an over inflated perception of what he should make. How much restructuring are they going to have to do to make this work? And no team is going to give up anything until Burns accepts a long-term deal at something in the 20-22M/yr range. Which he won’t. So now you are stuck paying 22M to an above average player on a team that truly needs to burn almost everything. Every team knows they don’t want to pay him.  Sweat and Chubb were signed long term before they got of planes to their new teams. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

I just don't want to mess with it.

Tag and trade sounds like a good idea ...but what if you can't get a trade partner then you're stuck.

I mean it's not like it would be as hard as letting pep go because he was such a part of our identity.

Burns ain't no pep. Just cut bait. Not worth the cost or risk of cost.

Letting Pep go was another dumbass decision this team made. But that's on Richardson and his pet monkey Marty. The one time this team should have paid up but didn't.  Marty was notorious for bonehead decisions. I hope one day this team will learn who deserves another contract and who doesn't.  Until then they will struggle to field a competitive team and mismanage their salary allocation with mediocre players hyping them up like they are something special. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Basbear said:

The issue is not the number, welll its the number but its the cap number. the team has around 30 million in space. burns @ 22mill + rookie pool 5 mill = nothing but a couple mill for in-season injuries. im sure thats the biggest issue.....i take that back burns play is the true issue....

The rookie amount won’t be that high for CAR. Once you figure in they are replacing 6-7 guys making minimum, at about 920k each, only your 2nd and 3rd are going to be higher. Joey Porter JR has a cap hit of 1.7M this past year and he went 33. 

But you need money for practice squad and injured reserve, so it might be more than 5.

8 minutes ago, Toomers said:

So you want to tag and trade Burns. Let’s see how this will play out. 

As soon as you offer the tag, 22M of your salary cap is frozen. Tied to a player with an over inflated perception of what he should make. How much restructuring are they going to have to do to make this work? And no team is going to give up anything until Burns accepts a long-term deal at something in the 20-22M/yr range. Which he won’t. So now you are stuck paying 22M to an above average player on a team that truly needs to burn almost everything. Every team knows they don’t want to pay him.  Sweat and Chubb were signed long term before they got of planes to their new teams. 

After the rams fumble, Burns side is holding a full house. They know the panthers valued him more than two future 1s and 2nd current. They also know the panthers current cap sits around 30. For burns to remain a panther he needs to do THEM a favor of signing a long term deal with a low cap number in the first. 

*Another deal is this- burns is 25 years old. Im betting his agent/team wants a 3 year or max 4 year deal so he can "cash" in another huge deal...which is rare for the NFL. I think the panthers want him to sign a 5-7 year deal with low cap numbers in the first couple. That doesnt seem to vibe with the idea of burns getting two big deals. 

So sad that the panthers are the worst team in the NFL with such poor cap space. Plus they are paying a rookie QB, terrible to be here. The sun does look better 100+ miillllllion better in 2025. 

8 minutes ago, Toomers said:

The rookie amount won’t be that high for CAR. Once you figure in they are replacing 6-7 guys making minimum, at about 920k each, only your 2nd and 3rd are going to be higher. Joey Porter JR has a cap hit of 1.7M this past year and he went 33. 

But you need money for practice squad and injured reserve, so it might be more than 5.

I think sportac has the rookie cap number- 1501272969_Screenshot2024-02-196_08_18PM.thumb.png.e6c547d628b1683b9cf97def9129095c.png

4.1 add another 2,000,000 or so for UDFAs. I think 2-5 should make this sorry-ass roster. 

3 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I think sportac has the rookie cap number- 1501272969_Screenshot2024-02-196_08_18PM.thumb.png.e6c547d628b1683b9cf97def9129095c.png

4.1 add another 2,000,000 or so for UDFAs. I think 2-5 should make this sorry-ass roster. 

That’s not figuring in the the players they replace on the top 51 cutoff. That’s 5.4M-5.7M. Which is subtracted from the the 6.5M. They will need about 1M to pay draft class. Picks 5-7 would be cheaper than anyone they replace. 

35 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Letting Pep go was another dumbass decision this team made. But that's on Richardson and his pet monkey Marty. The one time this team should have paid up but didn't.  Marty was notorious for bonehead decisions. I hope one day this team will learn who deserves another contract and who doesn't.  Until then they will struggle to field a competitive team and mismanage their salary allocation with mediocre players hyping them up like they are something special. 

Pep wanted out and he was being accused of taking a lot of plays off (but even with that he was twice the baller burns is).  Letting him go for nothing hurt, but it was inevitable. The team wanted him to be something he didn't want to be and he wanted to experience life and sports away from north Carolina.

I seriously just don't want to mess with burns. All he's ever done is pretend to be a superhero/elite player.

If we can get something for him, fine. I just don't want the risk that comes along with the tag

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, rayzor said:

Pep wanted out and he was being accused of taking a lot of plays off (but even with that he was twice the baller burns is).  Letting him go for nothing hurt, but it was inevitable. The team wanted him to be something he didn't want to be and he wanted to experience life and sports away from north Carolina.

I seriously just don't want to mess with burns. All he's ever done is pretend to be a superhero/elite player.

If we can get something for him, fine. I just don't want the risk that comes along with the tag

I completely agree. The tag is too risky for this team. Fitterer really screwed this team up while he was here. Now the team is forced to negotiate a contract for someone else if they even hope to trade him. I just hope there are teams out there that by into the hype and take him off our hands. I just fear the team is blinded by their own overestimated evaluation of him and give him a massive contract that he will never live up to.