• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If we pursue a LT in free agency

Panthero

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Icky hit the inevitable sophomore slump this past season. I think, with new and good coaching, he will excel at the position. If BC can come back and work beside him, we should see some improvement from that as well. Corbett coming back should shore up the other side of the line and I think we are fine at center and RT.

Good coaching and better play design will help a lot.

And I think we're deeper now than we were before along the line. 

We need receivers more than anything. And someone to design plays that doesn't send three receivers to the same spot on the field. Or guys who can stretch the defense. Or stand up to being jammed at the line. Or who will fight for a ball. 

Adam Theilin needs to be an asset to the offense, not the whole darned thing.

Icky seems to have lost his confidence entirely. I am not sure what to do about that. Maybe slide him inside to get re-adjusted to the NFL and playing downhill.

Either way, our OL got worse across the board, so we need to shore that up and quickly.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Icky seems to have lost his confidence entirely. I am not sure what to do about that. Maybe slide him inside to get re-adjusted to the NFL and playing downhill.

Either way, our OL got worse across the board, so we need to shore that up and quickly.

Yeah, that O-line was terrible last season but it was also operating without both of its starting guards. Also, just about every good LT (and RT) goes through a tough second season. It's just an amazing learning curve and the physical wear and tear is rough. Tie that in with a weaker line due to injuries, a rookie QB and a coaching staff that is operating under job-security paranoia and well, dang man, who could do well there.

I think he can make it and make it at LT. But we have to let him grow into the role. 

And let's pray that we can install a blocking scheme they can work with. We really didn't have one to speak of last year. It was just ACK! Help! Splat!

• Beer 1

25 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Yeah, that O-line was terrible last season but it was also operating without both of its starting guards. Also, just about every good LT (and RT) goes through a tough second season. It's just an amazing learning curve and the physical wear and tear is rough. Tie that in with a weaker line due to injuries, a rookie QB and a coaching staff that is operating under job-security paranoia and well, dang man, who could do well there.

I think he can make it and make it at LT. But we have to let him grow into the role. 

And let's pray that we can install a blocking scheme they can work with. We really didn't have one to speak of last year. It was just ACK! Help! Splat!

The "Superstar" coaching staff, IMO, had a huge impact on this.  I think Reich, Thomas and Campen all had different philosophies that confused everyone.  Add the injuries and you have a total mess.  I think the scheme had more to do with the poor performance than anything else.  

• Pie 3

Just now, DaveThePanther2008 said:

The "Superstar" coaching staff, IMO, had a huge impact on this.  I think Reich, Thomas and Campen all had different philosophies that confused everyone.  Add the injuries and you have a total mess.  I think the scheme had more to do with the poor performance than anything else.  

I think you're 100% right. It was a total clusterfug of a season and it started in coaching, management and ownership, then it was made worse by injuries.

4 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I think you're 100% right. It was a total clusterfug of a season and it started in coaching, management and ownership, then it was made worse by injuries.

I may be wrong but OTAs is the first time Canales gets to work with this team.  Any of you rules experts know about how much extra time new coaches have with their team.  Seems to me that new coaches get a couple of extra days.  Is that correct?

If he only gets OTAs than Morgan is going to have to decide whether scheme or players is at fault and draft accordingly.

Edited by DaveThePanther2008
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I'm not sure if it's a lack of confidence. I saw more signs of delusion than lack of confidence. How happy and nonchalant he was in sideline interviews in preseason afternoon preseason after having just been treated like a speed bump was alarming.

11 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

That is maybe one of the most insane things I have seen here recently. Henry is a large, physical RB. Those are exacrly the type of dudes that classically fall off a cliff suddenly. He's 30 and you want to give him a 4 or 5 year deal??? What the actual fug?

Also, have you actually looked at this RB free agent class? Very possibly one of the best of all time. You can get a very solid RB and far younger for far cheaper.

90% of great RBs hit the wall at 27.  He is 30.  he has taken a beating.  No thanks

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not sure if it's a lack of confidence. I saw more signs of delusion than lack of confidence. How happy and nonchalant he was in sideline interviews in preseason afternoon preseason after having just been treated like a speed bump was alarming.

I mean, that is sort of reminiscent of all the nonsense about Peppers smiling on the sidelines while we were losing. I wouldn't read too much into that.

Edited by kungfoodude

Just like with young at QB, the panthers need to hope/pray that icky can be the answer at LT.

Honestly with the team needing everything minus safety and STs, there is a chance that the current OL plays well enough to be average. 

focus&spend resources at edge, TE, WR and find some depth at every spot. 

That was the main issue with OL, no IOL depth, it was PS level players. Thus boze, icky, and young looked even worse than they are. Mays let me down and they wavied thundercock for some reason. Sure he sucked, but he was the least suxx among the PS depth. 

You guys steadily trashing the OL like it was a leagues worst unit.

Back over here in reality where Bryce and the entire offense fuging sucks, he had 2.5 seconds of pocket time the same damn amount as Patrick Mahomes, you know the guy who just hoisted his 3rd lombardi. 

The difference is Bryce was sacked 62 knocked down 50 times and hurried 38 times.

Mahomes was only sacked 27 times but he was knocked down 65 times and hurried 60 times.

Some of Bryce sacks obviously fall on nobody being open because of the terrible scheme and weapons we trotted out, but lets not act like he didnt have NFL pocket time. 

Bryce needs to realize he is never going to get Alabama pocket time in the NFL even if we had Phillys OL. This is why Canales is talking about getting the ball out fast because thats what NFL offenses require. 

• Pie 1

I think it is probably good that we have a rookie coach who isn’t comfortable or secure and saw from across the field how the QB cost the last guy his job.

Reading between the lines, Canales sounded like sink or swim on the QB. I don’t think he wants Young’s lack of NFL ability to cost him the job. A guy like Canales may not get another shot for years, if ever.

So, like the undertaker in the Godfather, he will use all his powers to make Bryce look good. If it has to be in death, so be it. He isn’t going to allow him to cost him his opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL .

That is the vibe I get from Canales, anyway, underneath that facade of positivity. I hope it is a realistic takeaway.

• Pie 1