• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Franchise Tag Deadline: March 5th at 4PM ET.

We are one day away from the Franchise Tag deadline. The last time the Panthers utilized the franchise tag was with Taylor Moton (2021) who would go on to sign a 4-year deal with before the start of the season. Prior to this, the last time the Panthers used the tag was with Josh Norman (2016) though this tag was rescinded when Norman did not show for voluntary offseason workouts and refused to sign the tag.  Other Panther players who have received the tag in the past include Greg Hardy (2014), Ryan Kalil (2011), Julius Peppers (2009), Jordan Gross (2008), and Todd Sauerbrun (2003).

There are 3 types of franchise tags: the non-exclusive tag, exclusive tag and transition tag. 

EXCLUSIVE TAG: This tag completely binds the player to his team. His agent is prohibited from seeking an offer sheet. Value = average of the top five salaries at the player's position over the last five years or 120% of his previous salary (whichever is greater).

NON-EXCLUSIVE TAG: This tag allows the player to sign an offer sheet with another team. The original team has the right to match the offer or receive two first-round draft picks in compensation if the player leaves. This is the most common type of tag. Value = average of the top five salaries at the player's position over the last five years or 120% of his previous salary (whichever is greater).

TRANSITION TAG: This tag works like the nonexclusive franchise tag, except it only provides the original team the right to match the other team's offer. If the original team decides not to offer a matching bid, it gets no compensation when the player leaves. Value = the average of the top 10 salaries at the position.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Posted (edited)

I am thinking at this point the team fully plans to exercise the Non-Exclusive Tag on Burns.  

Sadly, switching him to an OLB last season may have hurt the team financially, as the cost for a linebacker appears to be 24.007 million, where as, had he remained a DE, the cost would have been 21.324 million. Its only a difference of 2.683 million, but that makes a difference in what we are able to do in FA before Burns is traded or signed to a long-term deal. 

Edited by Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D.

40 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

I am thinking at this point the team fully plans to exercise the Non-Exclusive Tag on Burns.  

Sadly, switching him to an OLB last season may have hurt the team financially, as the cost for a linebacker appears to be 24.007 million, where as, had he remained a DE, the cost would have been 21.324 million. Its only a difference of 2.683 million, but that makes a difference in what we are able to do in FA before Burns is traded or signed to a long-term deal. 

If Morgan doesn't go this way than he's probably not going to be much better than Fitterer.  The non-exclusive tag allows Burns to test the market.  If he gets his deal than we get 2 picks.  If no one offers him what he is asking for than Morgan is in the driver's seat on a fair market offer.

Makes no sense to Franchise Tag him and pay him more than what we think he's worth.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

If he gets tagged, it will be the exclusive tag. They want a long term deal with him. 

That would be incredibly stupid and would make me question Dan Morgan. Non exclusive is the way to go. You match the offer he gets or get picks if you don't. 

26 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

If he gets tagged, it will be the exclusive tag. They want a long term deal with him. 

Absolutely not. If someone wants to sign him and give us the two 1sts we turned down from the Rams then by all means, be my guest.

The exclusive version of the tag is rarely used. It's GM nuclear warfare because the player can't even test his market value by talking to other teams.

2 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I wonder why we wait until the last minute after we have already held off negotiating? Seems like this decision one way or the other was already made. 

It's probably so they can put a final offer on the table and have ticking clock. Pressure can help negotiations, people can get hesitant, emotional, hung up etc... and don't have time to take a step back and think it through. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Absolutely not. If someone wants to sign him and give us the two 1sts we turned down from the Rams then by all means, be my guest.

The exclusive version of the tag is rarely used. It's GM nuclear warfare because the player can't even test his market value by talking to other teams.

I’m used to us being the dumbest team in the NFL since Tepper bought the team. I’m honestly shocked they did something smart

Edited by carpanfan96
  • Pie 1