• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Unnecessary Bluntness: Do Panthers already have a draft crush?

30 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, he is raw and is currently developing at a pretty significant rate.   So to me, he just doesn't compare to a Mingo.   They just were on two different protectories in college and coming into the draft. 

I mean, I want Mitchell, Ladd, the Texans boys, etc. at 33rd.  My Leggette talk is about getting him on a double dip in the 3rd.  If someone wants to draft him before that, so be it.   There is always a team, sometimes us, that over drafts someone out of need.  I just think WRs could fall in this one given how many good prospects their are. 

Im fine with taking him in the third.  This was mostly all in response to the people wanting him at 33 or saying he may not make it out of the first.  Mitchell or Chop Robinson are my #1 hopes for pick 33.

28 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

This right here. Exactly why you cant just compare him to Mingo off measurables.

Im not, I'm comparing them off of their poor route running and lack of seperation and lateral quickness.  Its just a coincidence their measurables are really similar. 

20 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Im fine with taking him in the third.  This was mostly all in response to the people wanting him at 33 or saying he may not make it out of the first.  Mitchell or Chop Robinson are my #1 hopes for pick 33.

yeah, I don't want him at 33.  That's not good value.  I'm like you, Mitchell is my ideal get there. There are better WRs at 33.  Now, if you can get him in the 3rd round? That's a great value.   And I wouldn't be upset with 2 WRs in this class. 

I mean, they could draft Leggette and I love it....or they could draft him and I hate him.  Depends where you draft him.  Really anyone.  

I hated where they drafted Mingo and especially Johnson last year. 

• Pie 1

With Leggette, I go back to Brugler and a few others saying his stock quietly took a pretty big hit at Senior Bowl practices.

I’m not one to just roll with the trendy guy or what analysts are saying, but we need route running and a technician who can make an immediate impact along with that nice plus starter/all-pro upside. Play outside, inside. X, Z, slot. That is not Legette. He just gives me way too much pause at 33 or even 39. Mitchell, McConkey, Pearsall fit what I gravitate towards but we’ll see.

• Beer 1

34 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Im not, I'm comparing them off of their poor route running and lack of seperation and lateral quickness.  Its just a coincidence their measurables are really similar. 

Legette plays physical and has speed, but he is not a savvy route runner who easily shakes man coverage — and that was at a college level. So move it to NFL and that all gets amplified. He does not fit what we need IMO.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Legette plays physical and has speed, but he is not a savvy route runner who easily shakes man coverage — and that was at a college level. So move it to NFL and that all gets amplified. He does not fit what we need IMO.

technically, every skill position on O is a need for us though.   Theilen and most likely Diontae....don't have the greatest odds of being around past this year. 

Bryce/Mingo are really the only guys that project out....and both of them were VERY disappointing as rookies.  Cupboard is pretty bare here.  I think we just need to add as much talent as possible.  BPA on O all draft. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, HardcoreHokie said:

Watching Legette’s film, I’m pretty underwhelmed at #33.  

3rd round, for sure.

but has a single poster even argued for Legette at 33?  Lots are arguing against taking him at 33. 

I mean, I guess there is the worry the Panthers could do Panther things and overdraft him though.  So I guess there is that.  Consensus here is that 33 is too high I would think. 

4 hours ago, top dawg said:

There are even more questions regarding Coleman's ability to be an X considering his lack of speed. I'm not going to post his strengths and weaknesses here (from the 33rd team which I find are critical, but probably fair), but he has more questions as to whether his traits will translate to the pros.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/keon-coleman-nfl-draft-2024-combine-results-scouting-report-for-florida-state-wr/

Looks like their rating and weaknesses are pretty similar on nfl.com. 

The mosy alarming for this offense. 

• Below-average quickness getting in and out of his breaks.

You've convinced me on Coleman.....now I don't either of them. 

I don't think you can afford to have a crush when there's gonna be 32 guys go ahead of you. Wel could package #33 and #39 to move up but I'd prefer we didn't. We need bodies, not just one guy. I'd rather have two top 40 guys than one top 15ish guy given our situation. 33+39 = roughly #14.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think you can afford to have a crush when there's gonna be 32 guys go ahead of you. Wel could package #33 and #39 to move up but I'd prefer we didn't. We need bodies, not just one guy. I'd rather have two top 40 guys than one top 15ish guy given our situation. 33+39 = roughly #14.

If a top ten guy drops to 15 range then it has to be a consideration

7 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

If a top ten guy drops to 15 range then it has to be a consideration

I think we have enough of a talent deficit I'd still rather have two top 40 at bats. Lord knows Panthers fans should understand by now that there's no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to draft picks. Trading 33 and 39 for a potential disappointment in the mid-teens is a dick punch this team can I'll afford to risk.

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think we have enough of a talent deficit I'd still rather have two top 40 at bats. Lord knows Panthers fans should understand by now that there's no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to draft picks. Trading 33 and 39 for a potential disappointment in the mid-teens is a dick punch this team can I'll afford to risk.

Based on recent drafts, a dick-punch for #33 would be doable.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

technically, every skill position on O is a need for us though.   Theilen and most likely Diontae....don't have the greatest odds of being around past this year. 

Bryce/Mingo are really the only guys that project out....and both of them were VERY disappointing as rookies.  Cupboard is pretty bare here.  I think we just need to add as much talent as possible.  BPA on O all draft. 

Yeah I agree that we could use any type of receiver, but we have to prioritize the one's that don't need acclimation in respect to NFL-discipline, refined route running, and being a natural separator.  Those are the missing traits that have giant alarm bells blaring in this WR room that we didn't go for when drafting TMJ and Mingo.  

We've been picking ones that have the upside, good size, big time testers, but needed legit acclimation in respect to route running and/or in-game discipline.  We need the technicians and students of the game.   In my view, we absolutely need to favor that over the receivers that have the X potential, but don't necessarily have the high floor.    

I feel like McConkey & Pearsall have flashing green lights for whoever drafts them.  Both are instant top-15 route runners in the NFL once drafted, are lightning quick, playmakers, with measurables to boot.  

If we're talking 3rd-4th round, I could be down with Legette but this is a situation where he's not coming into start outside for us of the bat.  If we want instant impact, it's these Z/Slot switcher types.