• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Kaye's depth chart

Edge-

The starters: D.J. Wonnum, D.J. Johnson

The backups: K’Lavon Chaisson, Eku Leota, Amare Barno, Luiji Vilain

This group is rough. The Panthers traded away two-time Pro Bowl pass rusher Brian Burns at the start of free agency, and Yetur Gross-Matos exited shortly after that swap, leaving the position group looking as grim as it gets. The Panthers signed Wonnum and Chaisson to ease the pain, but the need at the position is still quite glaring. The Panthers hosted Jadeveon Clowney on a visit earlier this month, but he is taking his time during his annual stroll around the market. Signing Clowney would greatly improve the unit’s outlook. Johnson, last year’s third-round pick, had a forgettable rookie year. If he wasn’t a third-round pick, it’d be easy to put him in the category of players on the outside looking in for roster spots. That said, given his pedigree, he should get every chance to shine this offseason. Still, look for the Panthers to have a plan in the draft to upgrade over him in the lineup. Leota, Barno and Vilain were all here last year, but none of them have been particularly successful in the pass rush department.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article286965970.html#storylink=cpy

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

Edge-

The starters: D.J. Wonnum, D.J. Johnson

The backups: K’Lavon Chaisson, Eku Leota, Amare Barno, Luiji Vilain

This group is rough. The Panthers traded away two-time Pro Bowl pass rusher Brian Burns at the start of free agency, and Yetur Gross-Matos exited shortly after that swap, leaving the position group looking as grim as it gets. The Panthers signed Wonnum and Chaisson to ease the pain, but the need at the position is still quite glaring. The Panthers hosted Jadeveon Clowney on a visit earlier this month, but he is taking his time during his annual stroll around the market. Signing Clowney would greatly improve the unit’s outlook. Johnson, last year’s third-round pick, had a forgettable rookie year. If he wasn’t a third-round pick, it’d be easy to put him in the category of players on the outside looking in for roster spots. That said, given his pedigree, he should get every chance to shine this offseason. Still, look for the Panthers to have a plan in the draft to upgrade over him in the lineup. Leota, Barno and Vilain were all here last year, but none of them have been particularly successful in the pass rush department.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article286965970.html#storylink=cpy

I already disagree.  DJ Johnson will be fighting for a roster spot.  Barno showed more last season

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I already disagree.  DJ Johnson will be fighting for a roster spot.  Barno showed more last season

Yeah, I think it's more of a formality since they traded up for him in the 3rd. But I agree the new coach said he has no emotional connection to any of the players and Evero doesn't strike me as the type that's going to play a guy just because he was drafted hire than a better player

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah, I think it's more of a formality since they traded up for him in the 3rd. But I agree the new coach said he has no emotional connection to any of the players and Evero doesn't strike me as the type that's going to play a guy just because he was drafted hire than a better player

I think he knows that other OLB spot is yet to be filled. 

• Beer 1

If the Panthers draft at least one EDGE player, or resign Marquis Haynes, or find one really good UDFA that fell through the cracks D.J. Johnson doesn't make the 53 man roster.

A. he sucks and 2. he'd save $500k in cap space to get him off the roster.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

fitt was one that made the dumb trade up but wasn't it Evero that wanted Dj Johnson? 

10 minutes ago, Sniffrey said:

If the Panthers draft at least one EDGE player, or resign Marquis Haynes, or find one really good UDFA that fell through the cracks D.J. Johnson doesn't make the 53 man roster.

A. he sucks and 2. he'd save $500k in cap space to get him off the roster.

That would make the CMC trade even more brutal. Imagine if Bryce and DJ aren't even on the roster in a year lol. That's all we got with those draft picks from the trade

1 minute ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

fitt was one that made the dumb trade up but wasn't it Evero that wanted Dj Johnson? 

Who knows if Evero had him rated that high, I think Fitt just got nervous because edge guys were flying off the board, I personally wanted Byron Young who went to the Rams 3 picks before I think

• Pie 1

52 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Not to worried about the pass rush this year. Just like last year we will be losing most of the time so offenses will concentrate on running the ball. At least we won’t get gashed up the middle anymore.

The vision is not really making sense at the moment. Canales wants to run the ball and dink and dunk to take the pressure of Bryce, but the defense is going to be giving up so many points he's gonna have to sling it. I'd rather that happen and see if he can do it so they can make a decision on whether he's the guy or not by mid season. Not expecting many wins with this current formula but at least they haven't made any dumb trades yet

23 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

The vision is not really making sense at the moment. Canales wants to run the ball and dink and dunk to take the pressure of Bryce, but the defense is going to be giving up so many points he's gonna have to sling it. I'd rather that happen and see if he can do it so they can make a decision on whether he's the guy or not by mid season. Not expecting many wins with this current formula but at least they haven't made any dumb trades yet

We are gonna have to ride this thing a little longer til its painfully clear Bryce isnt the answer.

• Beer 1