• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More Unnecessary Bluntness w/ Senior Draft Analyst Damian Parson

Guys, this is a long one, but it's well worth the time for hardcore Panthers fans. 

Damian Parsons of The Draft Network discusses the Panthers, and he actually sounds like he knows what he's talking about. You'd think that more national types might not be able to talk intelligently about the team, but this appears far from the truth with this Parsons fella.

He speaks on Reich and Fitterer's failings a little bit and how that negatively affected Bryce and Mingo. A little spoiler, he hasn't given up on Bryce, but acknowledges the problem of his height, and he said Mingo might want to show marked improvement if he wants to be here, as this draft and the 2025 draft should be ripe with legit receivers. He says that we don't necessarily have to draft a receiver at 33 for fear of missing out because impact receivers can be found well into the third, though he says Xavier Legette would be good at 33 and is better than some fans are giving him credit for. Another hint: he raised all kinds of eyebrows when we drafted Mingo in the second. He and host Aaron Duncan believe that acquiring DJ was a great move, and that it should help Bryce greatly, as well as take some of the pressure off us at 33 if we choose to go in another direction, as well as take pressure off of Mingo to be put in a prime position that he isn't ready for. 

He also talks a couple of pass rushers, and says that CBs could theoretically fall if there is a run on receivers, EDGEs, OTs, and QBs. 

I must say that he has sold me on X over Ladd and AD due to his physicality and ability to be the bully as opposed to being bullied when CBs try to body him. He says that if he thought that he could get Legette at 33 and Pearsall at 65, he'd smash the buttons. 

It's all a good listen...but, like I said, give yourself some time. They actually begin talking Panthers at 12:07.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

I would much rather go Pearsall at 65 than Ladd in the 30's, and just do BPA with the first two picks. Ladd is pointless with ISM and Dionate on the roster who are already proven at the NFL level. ISM hasn't gotten his fair share of targets, yet he crushes it every time they give him a chance. Ladd could be a complete bust with all that dancing he does after the catch

• Pie 3

Top of my WR list in the second is AD Mitchell.

Next up is Leggette.

I don't know what to think of McConkey, I think his floor is the highest but his ceiling is the lowest. I'd almost rather go DE/CB here if Mitchell and Leggette are gone and then see what's there at 39 where I'd be fine taking hi, Coleman, or Pearsall, or wait to try and double dip with Javon Baker and Malik Washington in the 3rd/4th, or aim for Jalen Coker even later (He's my favorite sleeper this year, small school guy who runs great routes and has strong hands, plays aggressive.)

There are SO MANY WR prospects with upside and potential this year, it's a great year to need some WRs.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Next up is Leggette.

I don't know what to think of McConkey, I think his floor is the highest but his ceiling is the lowest. I'd almost rather go DE/CB here if Mitchell and Leggette are gone and then see what's there at 39 where I'd be fine taking hi, Coleman, or Pearsall, or wait to try and double dip with Javon Baker and Malik Washington in the 3rd/4th, or aim for Jalen Coker even later (He's my favorite sleeper this year, small school guy who runs great routes and has strong hands, plays aggressive.)

There are SO MANY WR prospects with upside and potential this year, it's a great year to need some WRs.

If CB Wiggins or DE Darius are there at 33 and they took Ladd I will give up lol. Ladd would be like Wr4 in that room year 1 and I doubt he'd be useful on special teams. I think he's like a 3-5th rounder in real world draft rooms

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Next up is Leggette.

https://x.com/Jordan_Reid/status/1772380392860909995?s=20

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

I would much rather go Pearsall at 65 than Ladd in the 30's, and just do BPA with the first two picks. Ladd is pointless with ISM and Dionate on the roster who are already proven at the NFL level. ISM hasn't gotten his fair share of targets, yet he crushes it every time they give him a chance. Ladd could be a complete bust with all that dancing he does after the catch

Don't get it twisted, he did say that Ladd has "superb footwork." Ladd is an elite separator which is always a valuable commodity in the NFL. There is a reason why he'll be gone early in day two at the latest. I can't see him being a bust.

ISM is a proven return man at the NFL level. He's not necessarily a good separator, is not that big, and is nothing special at the catch point. He is a three at best. He's more a fit for gadget plays. There is a reason why he has become a journeyman. You'd see it real quick if he had to start.

now as to why ladd is highly regarded...i think it's just because he's quick and a safe option to throw to. he's seen as a reliable option for any QB. nothing particularly dynamic about him other than that. actually he just seems like a good boring but reliable WR. won't get much as far as TDs and probably won't produce much in the way of highlight reels, but between the 40s he'll be solid. 

i kind of think that he might be hyped a little too much, but i wouldn't hate it. he can get open, get some separation, and catch passes. we kind of need that. 

i wouldn't be content with him being the only WR we take in the first 4 picks, though. get someone like Leggette or some other big X receiver who can also high point balls and give us a red zone threat. mingo has the potential to be that...but i'm not going to bank on that or use him as an excuse to not get another X receiver. 

we just need guys with reliable hands who can either get open or fight for the ball and win. gimme two or three this draft and i wouldn't hate a big TE getting added, either.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Mingo was a mistake.

i hope he wasn't. should be a much better situation for him this year (w/ improved coaching and scheme and overall passing game), but he's probably going to have a lot more competition for targets, which he should. he just needs to be a threat to catch the ball when it comes his way and make some good positive yardage. use them muscles. 

• Pie 1