• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Your thoughts on my random draft crushes

T'Vondre Sweat (DT): I absolute love the thought of him in the middle with Brown and Robinson right beside him. Shy Tuttle while good as a rotational piece isn't the space eater that Sweat is. The thought of having him on the line is super exciting. 

Edgerrin Cooper (LB): I know the board loves Payton but I like this guy even more and comes without the injury concerns. He can blitz and is extremely fast. He also is good in coverage. 

Khyree Jackson or Cam Hart (CB): I just want one of those big body CBs that can be taken in the mid rounds. 

Ja'Lynn Polk (WR): I really like this WR. He seems to be a great WR to take over for Thielen when he moves on. Love his hands and is a bit shifty. Doesn't have breakaway speed but really like the potential with him in the slot. I do like other WRs better but don't see too much written about him. 

As much as I would like to have an EDGE, I haven't seen too many that I really like. 

What do you all think of these players and who are some of your random draft crushes? 

• Pie 1

Wilson may have injury concerns but Cooper has some concerns in his own right.

Why did it take him four years to produce at a high level? In Cooper’s three previous seasons he only totaled half a sack (though he hardly played his freshman year).

Don’t get me wrong, Cooper had a great season but it could simply be because he’s bigger and faster than his competition now, he won’t have that luxury in the NFL.

As far as his actual play, what makes him good could be a detriment at the NFL level. He’s a human missile and in college he’s faster than everyone, in the pros he’s going to have to dissect plays, I’ve seen tons of his highlights where I can guarantee you he’d overrun the play at the NFL level. He also plays way too upright. A lot of his success just screams, ‘I’m good because I’m bigger, faster, stronger, etc.’; that will have to change at the NFL level. 

Wilson in the other hand has been elite since his sophomore season.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

Sweat at 39 wouldnt be terrible. Would love him if we traded down to later in the 2nd. Polk or Jackson in the 4th would be nice too! Sweat on a rookie deal could keep the DL intact and cheaper for this rebuild with the DB extension.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Wilson may have injury concerns but Cooper has some concerns in his own right.

Why did it take him four years to produce at a high level? In Cooper’s three previous seasons he only totaled half a sack (though he hardly played his freshman year).

Don’t get me wrong, Cooper had a great season but it could simply be because he’s bigger and faster than his competition now, he won’t have that luxury in the NFL.

Wilson in the other hand has been elite since his sophomore season.

The production argument is the same that could be said about Legette. Breakouts can happen but I agree with you that Wilson has been more consistent. It's just hard to overlook Cooper last season. He just popped. 

3 minutes ago, yasuhara2241 said:

The production argument is the same that could be said about Legette. Breakouts can happen but I agree with you that Wilson has been more consistent. It's just hard to overlook Cooper last season. He just popped. 

I’d also prefer McConkey or Corley over Leggette lol.

Breakouts can certainly happen and they can carry over to the NFL but I personally would rather have the more consistent and fundamentally sound players.

Otherwise we’ll be spending too much time trying to figure out how to make our athletes good football players when we could have just drafted good football players to begin with.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I’d also prefer McConkey or Corley over Leggette lol.

Breakouts can certainly happen and they can carry over to the NFL but I personally would rather have the more consistent and fundamentally sound players.

Otherwise we’ll be spending too much time trying to figure out how to make our athletes good football players when we could have just drafted good football players to begin with.

Unfortunately I think McConkey is gone by our pick. Corley I like but playing at Western Kentucky he rarely played against really good competition. I like Legette over Corley but Ladd is my #1 of WRs that I think could possibly be there at 33. 

Ladd - Adonai - Legette - Worthy - Coleman - Corely - Polk - Franklin - in that order for me. 

• Pie 1

54 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

If they have a pulse and play WR then I'm all for drafting them.

There aren't many WRs in this class that I wouldn't be tickled at getting. I have favorites, but I don't have any that I hate.

• Pie 1

T'Vondre Sweat (DT): I absolute love the thought of him in the middle with Brown and Robinson right beside him. Shy Tuttle while good as a rotational piece isn't the space eater that Sweat is. The thought of having him on the line is super exciting.  I like him, but he looked sloppy at the SR Bowl to me.  He would definitely let the DEs and LBs eat.  Our needs for the early second round may make picking him a luxury and not a priority.

Edgerrin Cooper (LB): I know the board loves Payton but I like this guy even more and comes without the injury concerns. He can blitz and is extremely fast. He also is good in coverage.  Payton processes much quicker than Edge, but is more injury prone.  The way I look at it:  Injuries may or may not happen, but processing will happen on every play.   Luke was the best at it, and this guy is nearly as quick. 

Khyree Jackson or Cam Hart (CB): I just want one of those big body CBs that can be taken in the mid rounds.  There are several mid round CBs who are going to be solid depth players.  I am still not satisfied that our starting CBs are good enough--i just don't see that much of a dropoff between the second./third round CBs and the  fourth/fifth rounders.  

Ja'Lynn Polk (WR): I really like this WR. He seems to be a great WR to take over for Thielen when he moves on. Love his hands and is a bit shifty. Doesn't have breakaway speed but really like the potential with him in the slot. I do like other WRs better but don't see too much written about him.  For the slot I Like  Corley, Ladd McConkey and Ricky Pearsall.  the second two can play outside if needed, but I think both project better as a slot than Polk--but I am often wrong.  Polk played in a very high octane offense with a good OL--but he is not that fast and he is not that quick in and out of breaks.  Good size for the spot and he goes after the ball aggressively, but the DBs in the NFL will minimize his advantages and exploit his weaknesses more than, in my opinion, other types.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 3

3 hours ago, PappyMay said:

Sweat at 39 wouldnt be terrible. Would love him if we traded down to later in the 2nd. Polk or Jackson in the 4th would be nice too! Sweat on a rookie deal could keep the DL intact and cheaper for this rebuild with the DB extension.

I thought Sweat was more like a 4th-5th round prospect. I’d be fine taking him in those later rounds but not earlier. 

8 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

I thought Sweat was more like a 4th-5th round prospect. I’d be fine taking him in those later rounds but not earlier. 

Everyone is different but espn had him ranked 34th. Most things I’ve seen have him as the #3 DT behind Murphy and Newton

Just now, PappyMay said:

Everyone is different but espn had him ranked 34th. Most things I’ve seen have him as the #3 DT behind Murphy and Newton

Yeah I don’t doubt it. The only reason I know who he is is because I ran a draft simulator a few times and it was always him and Kris Jenkins son on the board as best available for our 4th round pick so I looked them up to see the difference. Thought it might be nice to pick up a big space eater like Sweat in those mid rounds but not keen on the positional value earlier when we already have Robinson.