• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

🚨Tony Pauline: Panthers interested in CB Mike Sainristril @33

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

If this is true, then I've already about to give up on Morgan.  Hopefully this is some sort of smoke screen. This would be a HORRIBLE pick at #33.

I agree.  I doubt there is much to it. 

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

It's not so much the position of CB as it has to do with the dude isn't that good.  We need a corner, but at #33 and especially for a player that's very much a work in progress (converted WR). It's beyond mind-numbing to even ponder this as a realistic possibility.

Curious to the “not good” bit. Open to hear what you think his deficiencies are.

Best defender on the best defense in the nation, started more at CB at Michigan than Arnold did at Bama and is arguably (and statistically) the best ballhawk in the draft. What makes him a work in progress? I get if people don’t want to invest high in a primary slot corner (although I think it’s flawed if you look at any currently successful team)…but would love to hear more. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Curious to the “not good” bit. Open to hear what you think his deficiencies are.

Best defender on the best defense in the nation, started more at CB at Michigan than Arnold did at Bama and is arguably (and statistically) the best ballhawk in the draft. What makes him a work in progress? I get if people don’t want to invest high in a primary slot corner (although I think it’s flawed if you look at any currently successful team)…but would love to hear more. 

I think you answered your own question, 33 is pretty high for a someone thats not a "3 down" player per se.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I think you answered your own question, 33 is pretty high for a someone thats not a "3 down" player per se.

He played boundary, in the box and NB. He would be out there a huge snap percentage-likely bulk. I just dispute that he’s just a NB, especially given the modern trends with nickel and dime and how the hybrid developed in Fangio’s scheme. 

I also just think this dude brings it and has the extra Kuechly-esque gene. You just don’t get that IQ and leadership out of any prospects. I’m not even a big Michigan fan or anything but he’s an easy sell IMO if you dive into it. 

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2024/04/10/mike-sainristil-nfl-draft-interview

Great insight in here.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Best defender on the best defense in the nation, started more at CB at Michigan than Arnold side at Bama and is arguably (and statistically) the best ballhawk in the draft. What makes him a work in progress? I get if people don’t want to invest high in a primary slot corner (although I think it’s flawed if you look at any currently successful team)…but would love to hear more. 

Yup, you nailed it.  The best defense in the country, so he had the luxury of relentless front 7 pressure.    Michigan's stout D-line allowed him to bait QBs with off coverage looks.  That won't happen in the NFL and he's actually going to have to cover. He's got really bad tackling technique too. So no, I'm not a fan.  At #65? Sure, but stay away in the second round.  He reminds me of Ricky Manning Jr.  Yes, he''l jump some routes for a pick here and there, but left an island to cover more than a few seconds...he's gonna get burned more time than not.

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Yup, you nailed it.  The best defense in the country, so he had the luxury of relentless front 7 pressure.    Michigan's stout D-line allowed him to bait QBs with off coverage looks.  That won't happen in the NFL and he's actually going to have to cover. He's got really bad tackling technique too. So no, I'm not a fan.  At #65? Sure, but stay away in the second round.  He reminds me of Ricky Manning Jr.  Yes, he''l jump some routes for a pick here and there, but left an island to cover more than a few seconds...he's gonna get burned more time than not.

Thanks - fair enough. He’s grown on me but I’m always open to hear it out on the opposing end.

For me- I see some really strong traits you don’t commonly find in prospects. To your point though, I can see the RM Jr comp because he is intense physically/at the point of attack, but he has really good zone awareness that you need in that Rams/Fangio tree hybrid spot. Not to mention he graded out super high against the run.

Communicates well on field, student of the game, and hearing how he took it up a notch between 2022 and 2023 speaks volumes to what he can do at the next level. I mean, the dude was voted MVP by his peers on that team, made countless big time plays at the biggest moments…I don’t see the shade for him. I can see the dislike for the position but said my take on that front.

My spidey sense just tells me there’s something with him but I’ve been wrong before.

Seems people want this stout outside shut down corner but I love these versatile tweeners that operate in the box and become this dynamic centerpiece. McDuffie was a revelation this past year. 

• Pie 1

We just traded (miraculously) an undersized CB and now we go for another undersized CB who is a nickel?  He is a versatile and good player but I hope not. 
Average athlete who is 23 yrds old?  Pass

Edited by Shocker

Thanks - fair enough. He’s grown on me but I’m always open to hear it out on the opposing end.

For me- I see some really strong traits you don’t commonly find in prospects. To your point though, I can see the RM Jr comp because he is intense physically/at the point of attack, but he has really good zone awareness that you need in that Rams/Fangio tree hybrid spot. Not to mention he graded out super high against the run.

Communicates well on field, student of the game, and hearing how he took it up a notch between 2022 and 2023 speaks volumes to what he can do at the next level. I mean, the dude was voted MVP by his peers on that team, made countless big time plays at the biggest moments…I don’t see the shade for him. I can see the dislike for the position but said my take on that front.

My spidey sense just tells me there’s something with him but I’ve been wrong before.

Seems people want this stout outside shut down corner but I love these versatile tweeners that operate in the box and become this dynamic centerpiece. McDuffie was a revelation this past year. 

Caught napping here.

Beat inside here for the PI

A few plays later, beat for a TD with extremely lazy technique.  All this is from the same drive!

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Caught napping here.

Beat inside here for the PI

A few plays later, beat for a TD with extremely lazy technique.  All this is from the same drive!

Wont act like he’s perfect. That PI was his first of the entire season FYI

Wont act like he’s perfect. That PI was his first of the entire season FYI

If he's there at #65 I'd be okay with taking a swing, but as a top 40 pick, he's got a lot of refining left to do.  Put like this, on any other team besides Michigan, he's an early day 3 pick.

10 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

If he's there at #65 I'd be okay with taking a swing, but as a top 40 pick, he's got a lot of refining left to do.  Put like this, on any other team besides Michigan, he's an early day 3 pick.

I can see your perspective there - you look at Max Melton at Rutgers or Dru Phillips out of Kentucky; they could be targets at 65 - so there’s merit in asking- what is Mike bringing that they don’t/and vice versa. 

If we’re comparing talent and likelihood at BPA, you’re gaining more out of a Frazier/Barton, Tampa, or some of the WRs in the low thirties. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

The goal was to get Bryce some weapons and patch up the Oline. We took care of the Oline now it's about getting Bryce some legit weapons.

They’d be best served taking the best player of need at the spot. 

reaching for a WR just to say you got “help” for someone who won’t be in the league in two years is bad 

if someone they legit like falls then hurray but don’t draft Jonathan Mingo again. 

• Pie 1

On 4/17/2024 at 12:43 PM, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

Whoever came up with this "dawg in him" trend needs to be taken out back and shot

That would be former coastal Carolina coach David Bennett. Of note, in the press conference he was possibly talking about Josh Norman.