• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Spot the differences

It's the off-season, most of the talk is pre-draft hope.

Meanwhile, over in Raleigh we have a hockey team about to enter the playoffs hot with one of the best owners in professional sports (if we're basing it purely on results of what they bought and where the team has gone since) running the show from a very involved approach.

Which again stirs in me the question of why in the fug Tepper isn't begging Dundon to show him what he sees and how he runs a team because I think Dundon is specifically the type of owner Tepper is trying to be, he's just way better at it than Tepper.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2024/04/15/tom-dundon-hurricanes

• Pie 2

I wish Dundon owned the Panthers. No championship quite yet but 6 straight playoff appearances all winning at least 1 round (pending this season but should win round 1 at least this year), and with a very young core with good contracts/cap situation and a highly rated prospect pool. Just the definition of sustained long term success and consistency. Basically the polar opposite of the tepper Panthers.

• Pie 3

3 hours ago, Jim3150 said:

Because running a hockey team is ezmode next to an NFL franchise?

Maybe in Canada. Dundon took over a bottom feeding low point Hurricanes team and turned the team into perennial contenders for years to come in a single year. Selling out at home, max capacity at all times, team turning a profit.

And that's a hockey team in the South. Not exactly ez mode.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, lightsout said:

Maybe in Canada. Dundon took over a bottom feeding low point Hurricanes team and turned the team into perennial contenders for years to come in a single year. Selling out at home, max capacity at all times, team turning a profit.

And that's a hockey team in the South. Not exactly ez mode.

I hear you.

I just know the Generals were standing room only in GSO and were a major draw before the Whalers sold out and RDU landed the team.

The whole NHL in the south thing was largely debunked by the time the 'Canes were christened

Dundon and Tepper are acquaintances. Dundon has even mentioned that he likes Tepper and has brought up the possibility of a Canes game at BofA.

With that said, billionaires aren’t usually the type of people that are going to beg for help.

Now if Tepper wants to be like Dundon, then he should start by getting the hell out of the way.

9 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

how is building a perennial champion quality NHL team any easier than an NFL team, much less ez mode as you suggest?

It’s not, statistically the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to win in sports (number of games needed to win, toll that hockey takes on the body, etc.).

Not to mention, the NHL has the strictest and lowest salary cap in professional sports.

That post just reads something like… “Fooseball and NASCAR are the only sports I watch.”

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

how is building a perennial champion quality NHL team any easier than an NFL team, much less ez mode as you suggest?

I was more trying to illustrate that running and NHL franchise is not the same as an NFL franchise and that the comparison is a false equivalency.

And yes I would hazard a guess that the stakes are lower with the NHL and therefore somewhat easier.

1 hour ago, Jim3150 said:

I was more trying to illustrate that running and NHL franchise is not the same as an NFL franchise and that the comparison is a false equivalency.

And yes I would hazard a guess that the stakes are lower with the NHL and therefore somewhat easier.

any sports business has the same goals: win championships, build the fan base, sell merch, etc; similar sub-divisions, scouting and talent evaluation, equipment management, stadium management, coaching, etc; similar business functions and strategies. it’s not until you get into the specifics of the sport that you really find any differences. i’d say it’s more like comparing gala apples to fuji apples, than apples to oranges. 

the challenges an NHL team has to become successful are largely the same as an NFL, just a different flavor.

1 hour ago, Jim3150 said:

Welcome to the Huddle Jim3150.