• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's about that little birdie time in a few days

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its a metric and a lot of those dudes Brugler included do as much if not more then a standard regional nfl scout.  Why would you think a nfl scout is way more knowledgeable then someone thats been around the game for their entire life and has made a livelihood doing it?  And just like scouts that have hits and misses

Because a scout has to deal with less players and can get more specific with not only the players, but how a player fits that team's individual scheme. The scout knows intimately what that team is looking for. 

I mean, honestly man, these media big boards and mock drafts are mainly for entertainment purposes. They want to keep all of us engaged and making their own companies, their employers, and themselves money.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Because a scout has to deal with less players and can get more specific with not only the players, but how a player fits that team's individual scheme. The scout knows intimately what that team is looking for. 

I mean, honestly man, these media big boards and mock drafts are mainly for entertainment purposes. They want to keep all of us engaged and making the company and individuals money.

true to all that. 

i mean these draftniks are more educated than the OG draftnik Kiper was when he first started and some of them have been around the game a good bit of their lives, but they are limited by essentially being solo acts with limited funds tying to hit a lot of players over the course of the year. Some are able to this all year, but still they are just one person and limited to what they can do compared to regional scouts funded by pro teams. Teams are just plain able to cover more terrain and more players, plus they are able to spend more time on it and collaborate with more people. Trips to schools don't have to come out of pocket. They will also have more access to coaches, teammates, families, etc. They look at more tape (as a collective) and hit more games. 

i am grateful for the draftniks and am glad that it has become the industry it has and i think they get a good bit of things right, but as good as some of them are, i just don't think they have the resources or intel (especially team intel) that regional scouts employed by the teams have. When we grade picks, we are basing those grades on a culmination of work less informed parties have done.

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, rayzor said:

if the guy calling the shots won't listen to anyone else because he thinks he knows more than anyone else, it's hard to convince him of anything.

from the way it sounds, there wasn't much communication going on between scouting department and coaches until this year. 

they are doing things differently this year. doesn't matter that some of the players are the same because the big dogs at the top calling the shots the last few years aren't there (except maybe tepper and he's being quiet).

that, on it's own, is enough for some optimism. the problem wasn't the scouts. it was the decision makers.

You don’t know that the problem wasn’t the scouts. From what we were told, Rhule was the entire problem but that’s hasn’t really held true. Fitterer was clearly part of the problem all along.

I’m sorry but I don’t believe that scouts got 0 input in our draft board and our picks. Do I think Fitterer and Morgan, to a lesser degree, made the final calls? Yes. Do I think they built up their list of favorites without scouts input? Not a chance.

We’ll see how it goes. I’m just not as optimistic as you that things are different and our draft process has changed. Also, just because it’s different doesn’t mean it’ll work out well. After 2018, the team has a max of 7 wins and we have drafted terribly.

On 4/20/2024 at 8:22 AM, bythenbrs said:

Haven’t seen Verge post in awhile.  Hope we see something between now and the draft.  

I dropped my prediction in the Huddle discord. I said Legette or McConkey at 33 but they jumped a pick. I think they are targeting Edgerin Cooper or Mike Sainristil today. 

• Pie 3

22 minutes ago, Verge said:

I dropped my prediction in the Huddle discord. I said Legette or McConkey at 33 but they jumped a pick. I think they are targeting Edgerin Cooper or Mike Sainristil today. 

What if DeJean magically drops?

27 minutes ago, Verge said:

could also be Payton Wilson. I do think it's one of those three, though. 

28 minutes ago, Verge said:

I like seeing both of those names.