• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select Chau Smith-Wade DB - Round 5, Pick 157

Just now, CRA said:

I was hoping our late round DB would be Stiggers from the CFL.   Think this rules that out.  

Not really. These late round picks are just taking flyers on players. They will look to the waiver wire and FA again to fill out other spots until next year's draft. I doubt anyone taken after the TE makes the team unless it's the practice squad.  I don't think they were counting on potential starters from day three. A potential backup maybe if they get lucky. 

It seems that our needs included 2 positions that most mockers did not prioritize--note that these positions were not addressed in free agency--RB and TE.

So Bryce has his protection (2 guards, a different C, a swing OT, and a RB who can pass protect) and weapons (Johnson > Chark; Legette > Mingo/TMJ; Thielen, the 1000 yard receiver from 2023; and Sanders > receiving totals from Tremble/Thomas/Hurst)   Bryce has his protection and weapons.

Concerning the draft, It is possible that they have 3 starters, which is good for any draft.   WR2, TE, RB. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Could be. I think he could be good as a NB slot guy. He's one of those annoying turd corners that sticks with the WR and can't get free of him. Just when you think you're free of him he's there again. Athletic enough to stick with anyone. Hes going to make any target uncomfortable for the QB.

He will have to make his bones on special teams this season to make final cuts I suspect.  He has some skills that might translate to this level.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mountainpantherfan2 said:

This analysis makes it seem like he has all the tools and speed needed to be a starter but his size is what will limit him.  Tough and physical. Seems to fit the traits Morgan desires. 

IMG_1389.jpeg

His size can hold him back, but his scrappiness will keep him in it.

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Not really. These late round picks are just taking flyers on players. They will look to the waiver wire and FA again to fill out other spots until next year's draft. I doubt anyone taken after the TE makes the team unless it's the practice squad.  I don't think they were counting on potential starters from day three. A potential backup maybe if they get lucky. 

Our 5th rounders surprisingly have a pretty long history of making the team as a rookie.  But could just be because the roster hasn’t been deep. 

Just now, CRA said:

Our 5th rounders surprisingly have a pretty long history of making the team as a rookie.  But could just be because the roster hasn’t been deep. 

It's mostly because of the later. But you gotta start somewhere.