• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What Exactly Is Your Criteria for Bryce in 2024 to Have Faith In Him Moving Forward 2025+ ??

How will Bryce do next year?   

175 members have voted

1. 1. How Will Bryce Do in 2024??

• He will explode for 4000+ 30+ TDs and lead us to playoffs
    • He'll make a reasonable improvement ~ 24 TD 3000 yards and well be competing for division
    • He'll make a marginal improvement ~ 19 TD 12TD and we'll have a 4-8 ish wins
    • He'll stay around the same 1/1 TD ratio and we are competing for a top 10 pick again
    • He'll be worse, very negative TD INT ratio and well be drafting/acquiring his replacement in the next offseason

6 hours ago, BrisbanePanther said:

Maybe I haven't kept up, but how do we know he set our to deceive in order to keep his stock high? That's a strong character-indicting accusation. Especially when it's not all that different than what others have done in the past. The only potentially eyebrow-raising is not being weighed again. Otherwise, he didn't do anything in the draft process that others haven't done and won't do in the future. In fact, the fact that he put all his eggs in the basket of his own pro day (which he didn't look great at) actively opposes the idea of setting out to deceive.

I mean, I literally said that every player does it, I wasn't blaming him, but I'm not sure I can think of another player who's gaming of the process was able to secure them the #1 pick before.

But it's pretty obvious that he went to the combine with a lot of temporary weight, especially since he then didn't get back on a scale a few weeks later at his pro day.

And in a year where there really was a debate as to who should be the top pick between him and Stroud, with Stroud throwing at the combine, it's also clear that Bryce didn't want to be seen throwing in the same setting as him, as in that scenario you usually would want to prove you are the better player to get that #1 pick.

Again, I don't "blame" him for it, every player tries to hide their weaknesses during the pre-draft process.  

But like I said, I can't remember someone else being able to do that to leverage securing the #1 pick because of it.  And thus, when people say, "it's not Bryce's fault the Panthers made a bad pick and put him in this situation", I can't help but say that it kinda is.  

It's no different than a regular person embellishing their resume and/or talking themselves up in an interview, getting the job, and then finding out they probably aren't qualified for said job.

Yes, it's the company's fault for hiring them, but they also take some of the blame themselves and thus shouldn't be immune from criticism when they struggle and end up losing said job in quick fashion.

• Pie 1

There's really two parts to this question.  

1) What does Bryce have to do to prove that he was worthy of the 1st overall pick (and the Panthers trade up to acquire said pick) and be seen as the franchise QB/face of the organization for the foreseeable future? 

2) What does Bryce have to do to be a serviceable starter past this season and allow the team to be in a position of not being desperate in their next try at acquiring a franchise QB?

I don't think Bryce is capable of ever living up to the expectation of the 1st overall pick and being a franchise QB.  His physical limitations will not allow him to ever be that QB.  

He could, however, show enough to be a placeholder.  Not what you want out of this deal but it's better than him being released at the end of the season.  Minimum of 6-8 wins with him showing he can lead the offense (scoring around 17-24 points per game on offense) and make plays when it matters especially as the end of the season nears.  It will also show that Morgan is capable of assembling a competitive roster and Caneles is capable of installing a modern NFL offense.  

Then you wait and draft/sign/trade for a franchise QB when the situation is to your best advantage.  This is how the Chiefs got Mahomes, the Eagles got Hurts, the Ravens got Jackson and the Packers got both Rodgers and Love.  Or we luck into it like the Patriots did with Brady and the 49er's did with Purdy.  

Bryce has to show a lot but as i just said in the other thread it looks like we are shaping up to be a pound the rock team so dont know how much of a positive that is in bryces evaluation. He will be ask to make plays when needed rather than carry us on offense. There is good and bad to that for me because i really want to see how much you can really put on his back right away. The elite QBs almost never have everything perfect around them so its easier to see that they are elite. All the new weapons will help bryce but can also take him out the equation.

• Beer 2

4 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

Kyle also had Dj, and CMC. 

Indeed. And we are and have added weapons and protection for Bryce.

Honestly in such a short time this is the most we've done in years for any QB.

Bryce Young has been setup nicely. He's got to produce now.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Bryce has to show a lot but as i just said in the other thread it looks like we are shaping up to be a pound the rock team so dont know how much of a positive that is in bryces evaluation. He will be ask to make plays when needed rather than carry us on offense. There is good and bad to that for me because i really want to see how much you can really put on his back right away. The elite QBs almost never have everything perfect around them so its easier to see that they are elite. All the new weapons will help bryce but can also take him out the equation.

Also it's a flawed approach, if we go down 2 scores that whole game plan is out the window and the QB has to start slinging it

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Also it's a flawed approach, if we go down 2 scores that whole game plan is out the window and the QB has to start slinging it

Exactly. And outside of Cam and steve smith thats typically been panther football.

• Beer 1

40 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

My thing is. I distinctly remember games where even despite our OL woes we were running the ball well enough. But the passing game was abysmal. Yes we gave up a lot of sacks but we still left many passing plays and opportunities on the field. Let's hope Canales has some solid plans to restore a balanced offense.

• Beer 1

On 5/5/2024 at 12:35 PM, jfra78 said:

The poll is different than the question.  The poll is what we expect him to do, and the question is what would it take for me to have faith in him.

I think he will look better but not great.  For me to have faith in him moving forward he would have to look like a number 1 overall pick.  Basically we would have to win games because of him and not in spite of him.

How many games or close wins would it take. 3 to 5 wins and maybe 3 to 5 close loses to say we are moving forward. To me I need to see how he works with the OC, improves on his footwork, a QBR better than 33.4%, better than a 5.5 yards per pass, and being able to get the ball out of his hands instead of trying to hang on while his receivers are trying to get open.

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

My thing is. I distinctly remember games where even despite our OL woes we were running the ball well enough. But the passing game was abysmal. Yes we gave up a lot of sacks but we still left many passing plays and opportunities on the field. Let's hope Canales has some solid plans to restore a balanced offense.

Fixing that lazy ass drop back will be a milestone victory in itself. Then maybe we can see him actually step into a throw?

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

I'd like to see low INT numbers and several key game winning drives. 17 TD-3 INT bare minimum. In an ideal world id love to see something like at least 27TD-8 INTs and several clutch performances.

On 5/5/2024 at 12:56 PM, PappyMay said:

No reason he shouldn't be better. Upgraded both guard spots and all the new toys. Canales has shown he can get solid results with players at QB most the league had written off as journeyman. Also hoping Leggette/ Johnson can break a few short yard catches loose for big plays which people on the team last year couldn't do. Could help his stats look a little better. I'm not expecting a playoff run, but anything less than 6-7 wins and to show we are moving in the right direction i'll be truly sad. Grab us our lock down CB or Edge of the future picking in the back part of the top 10 is how I imagine this thing goes.

what if he only wins 3 to 5 games. Has 3 to 5 games where we are in the game but lose at the end, improves his footwork, QBR, yards per pass, and learns to escape better than hanging on to the ball as he waits for an open receiver. Would that make you feel better or improving enough to give him another year at QB.

On 5/5/2024 at 1:46 PM, JBloc said:

(4) 300 yd games

225 yd/gm average

20 TDs

And, I know it's a team stat and probably asking a bit much, but 8 wins would have me feeling pretty decent about the situation.

8 wins is a pipe dream. 3 to 5 is more like it.

• Pie 1