• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

BREAKING: Panthers signing Rashad Penny

2 minutes ago, strato said:

If the defense can come together there might be some watchable games this year. The offense is basically that of an expansion team but not without some intriguing potential. 

New players all over, new coaches all over, it might really be bad early. That is where the running game and especially some above average defense could keep us from stinking it up too bad. 

I think the last 7 games are going to be a better representation of the team than early on. I don’t know the schedule late (probably division heavy) but the idea is just that things are starting to be comfortable for the OL, the young skill guys, etc. 

WTF dude... have you been paying attention?!

Penny is an impressive running back. One that still hasn't proven anything in the NFL.  His best year isn't even close to Sanders best year, and people in here be talking out their asses with no flow control. 

I'm excited in the fact that Penny is my kind of back.  I'm not getting excited on the fact that Penny hasn't proven anything.  

So what does this all mean? 

I believe it's just another piece, to ensure we have quality depth and rotation at running back. The most often injured position in the NFL. 

17 hours ago, CRA said:

I don't think this changes much.  They just are throwing another body into the mix.  

Brooks is coming off an ACL

Cohen is still an unknown working himself into a return as far as we know

Hubbard/Sanders are basically the same dude. 

First post of the thread that speak of any real reason and truth. 

14 hours ago, csx said:

That doesn't mean he will play. That's when he can first start doing any sort of training. That's an aggressive timeline just for that given he tore his just 5 months ago.

There's zero point in rushing him in to games.

Realistic chance that he starts the season on the pup list. 

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)

Regardless of the league being a passing league.  There has to be some balance. 

Many either forget, or just don't understand the hardest offensive play to defend is a well executed run play. 

With most defenses running more defensive backs,  a commitment to running the ball should pay off in spades. 

Edited by pantherclaw
  • Pie 3

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Realistic chance that he starts the season on the pup list. 

Yeah, I haven't seen anyone suggest he would be playing early. Most are saying if he contributed anything late this season it would be a win

Edited by csx
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

First post of the thread that speak of any real reason and truth. 

Hubbard and Sanders are no where near the same back. They're different type of backs. One is way more finesse and requires an open space to do anything if we're being honest. The other makes something out of nothing and can run between the tackles more effectively.

It is fact that Penny has a better average running and receiving the football than Sanders (and Chuba for that matter). It is also fact that Penny has been way more injured. It's injury that has been his downfall, not a lack of talent. But the best ability is availability, and so we can't bet on Penny being anything more than depth. That doesn't mean that he can't relegate other players to the bench if he can somehow stay healthy. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, csx said:

Yeah, I haven't seen anyone suggest he would be playing early. Most are saying if he contributed anything late this season it would be a win

"Hubbard likely will enter training camp as the lead back because Brooks isn't expected to be medically cleared from his knee surgery until just prior to training camp. There is a fair chance Brooks will be eased into the lead role."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40093559/what-panthers-plans-rookie-rb-jonathan-brooks

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, TD alt said:

Hubbard and Sanders are no where near the same back. They're different type of backs. One is way more finesse and requires an open space to do anything if we're being honest. The other makes something out of nothing and can run between the tackles more effectively.

It is fact that Penny has a better average running and receiving the football than Sanders (and Chuba for that matter). It is also fact that Penny has been way more injured. It's injury that has been his downfall, not a lack of talent. But the best ability is availability, and so we can't bet on Penny being anything more than depth. That doesn't mean that he can't relegate other players to the bench if he can somehow stay healthy. 

Not even sure why you responded to my post.  

Thanks for what I already know though. 

1 hour ago, TD alt said:

Penny has 28 career receptions. Sanders averages 30 per season. So no, Penny is far less of a receiver than even  Sanders.