• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers run ONE play on repeat

Just now, Jon Snow said:

Yo7 don't know that either. Everyone assumes that what it means. Just because that was Frank's plan doesn't mean that is what Dave will do. It could be but I would not assume that.

I know nfl football and you need an elite talent at qb to consistently win. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its scary to think that some of us dumb ass huddlers evaluated bryce for what he is before the damn draft that this collective front office couldnt see what we saw.   I mean we have receipts saying this dude isnt athletic, doesnt have a strong arm or good deep ball and has shitty mechanics but alas here we are, the teppers fell in love over a steak dinner.   Lets get this year over with and move on to a new dude in 2025.  Its all we can do

Well he's not as strong as the other guys drafted in his draft but has not as weak as being let on. I think the difference in his velocity compared to his piers in the draft was only a couple of mph. Nothing earth shattering to say the least. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I know nfl football and you need an elite talent at qb to consistently win. 

There's only about 5 or 6 elite qbs in the league. Finding one is pure luck.

12 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Well he's not as strong as the other guys drafted in his draft but has not as weak as being let on. I think the difference in his velocity compared to his piers in the draft was only a couple of mph. Nothing earth shattering to say the least. 

I really don't get this take. Is he in the top .1% of the population like Flacco, Josh Allen, old Cam Newton, Mahomes? Heck no. But he definitely has a better arm than some are giving him credit for. Good enough to win in the NFL. 

53 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

If we end up with a top pick then we have no choice but to draft another QB

As for Bryce, my concern is his arm strength. Always has been. Figured he’d put on some muscle but clearly that isn’t going to happen 

My concern is his horrible accuracy and slow decision making. These can be improved I guess. Arm strength can be schemed around but it’s definitely a handicap. 

Just now, Navy_football said:

I really don't get this take. Is he in the top .1% of the population like Flacco, Josh Allen, old Cam Newton, Mahomes? Heck no. But he definitely has a better arm than some are giving him credit for. Good enough to win in the NFL. 

It's apparent that many have not looked at his test results. I paid very close attention to those measurable before the draft. Even though he didn't throw before the camera at the combine he did throw to measure his velocity and it was only 2 mph less than CJ's. Of course AR had the strongest arm but only beat CJ by 1 mph. So it's not a velocity issue. I hate that i have to come to the guys defense but if people are going to make bold statements at least get the facts straight. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

35 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its scary to think that some of us dumb ass huddlers evaluated bryce for what he is before the damn draft that this collective front office couldnt see what we saw.   I mean we have receipts saying this dude isnt athletic, doesnt have a strong arm or good deep ball and has shitty mechanics but alas here we are, the teppers fell in love over a steak dinner.   Lets get this year over with and move on to a new dude in 2025.  Its all we can do

I'm willing to give him basically a second rookie year and show us something but my expectations honestly couldn't be much lower. I guess we'll see. I'd be thrilled to be wrong.

• Beer 1

Velocity MPH.

Okay, that’s a number in isolation. what if CJ has a nice 85% effort motion that does what he is looking for?
And Young has to step into things to get even 2 mph behind him? 

I don’t KNOW that about either it is just an example of numbers don’t always tell all, but when I look at Young throw it reminds me of someone like Fran Tarkenton. A throwback non athletic weak armed scrambler for those of you who don’t remember. Had a great career in the old smaller slower but much meaner NFL. Would not today, IMO. 

I think the arm strength questions, are plenty fair. And the eyeball test, it does mean something. Who would take Bryce Young over CJ Stroud or Richardson based on his arm? It is obvious to the naked eye where they stack up.

6 minutes ago, strato said:

Velocity MPH.

Okay, that’s a number in isolation. what if CJ has a nice 85% effort motion that does what he is looking for?

I don’t KNOW that about either it is just an example of numbers don’t always tell all, but when I look at Young throw it reminds me of someone like Fran Tarkenton. A throwback non athletic weak armed scrambler for those of you who don’t remember. Had a great career in the old smaller slower but much meaner NFL. Would not today, IMO. 

I think the arm strength questions, are plenty fair. And the eyeball test, it does mean something. Who would take Bryce Young over CJ Stroud or Richardson based on his arm? It is obvious to the naked eye where they stack up.

When they measure velocity they base it on an average of 3 throws, I think, could be 5. Each qb decides how he throws it. It's not taken from passes in a game. So basing on an "eye test" takes out bias. It's measured by a radar gun in a controlled environment. 

19 minutes ago, strato said:

Velocity MPH.

The eyeball test is subjective. You can say he has a weak arm, I can say his arm is strong (which I'm not). Who has the better "eye" for football velocity?

Bryce doesn't always throw fastballs. Actually he rarely does. But he's thrown enough to show that he has more than adequate velocity. Decision making, trust in his oline, trust in his receivers... needs work. But arm strength is low on the things he needs to improve. Right along with footwork. If that's how he plays, then I'm fine with it. He's shown the ability to throw with adequate velocity and accuracy at very awkard arm angles. So he doesn't need to have stellar footwork to make throws. I could see it helping his timing though. 

17 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

When they measure velocity they base it on an average of 3 throws, I think, could be 5. Each qb decides how he throws it. It's not taken from passes in a game. So basing on an "eye test" takes out bias. It's measured by a radar gun in a controlled environment. 

Yeah.

And there is something in the effort put forth to achieve the numbers that the numbers don’t quantify.

Such as does Bryce have to throw with all his effort to get what CJ or whoever can get being more under control at less than 100%? I have watched a few of his games the last month or so, if his ball is good enough to win ion the NFL it is at the win threshold border line. 

Eyeball between Bryce CJ and Richardson, you guys are acting like your eyes would lie to you. 

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

not directed at you per se, but he has had elite coaching, elite training and gone to elite camps since the 8th grade.  Why would this off season be any different?  He is who he is at this point and the fact that he joked about binging netflix all off season kindof shows his true colors

Yeah… I really thought he’d take adding muscle seriously. Everyone talked about this kid like he’s extremely mature/professional/smart… I kind of assumed he’d eventually get to a true 205 but he’s clearly content at 185 or whatever the hell he is 

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

My concern is his horrible accuracy and slow decision making. These can be improved I guess. Arm strength can be schemed around but it’s definitely a handicap. 

arm strength also helps make up for slow decision making. Due to Young’s lack of arm strength he has to be a step ahead at all times. 

Sure sounds like we’re going to be a run first team this year. Probably look a lot like we did with Darnold and Wilks. 

fun times 

8 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Yeah… I really thought he’d take adding muscle seriously. Everyone talked about this kid like he’s extremely mature/professional/smart… I kind of assumed he’d eventually get to a true 205 but he’s clearly content at 185 or whatever the hell he is 

arm strength also helps make up for slow decision making. Due to Young’s lack of arm strength he has to be a step ahead at all times. 

Sure sounds like we’re going to be a run first team this year. Probably look a lot like we did with Darnold and Wilks. 

fun times 

That was the best football we have seen for literally, years.