• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mingo stat. Lost yards on uncatchable balls

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Is this where Bryce apologizing has gotten to? LOL!

Screenshot_20240514-104819.thumb.png.b0aece5f1a26026ef63d7874c2599ee2.png

We're now blaming receivers for not performing miracles on the field and pulling off the impossible.

Both can be true and are. There’s no apologizing. The dude even lays it out.

3 minutes ago, fanpanther said:

The great thing about Young being horrific last year is he doesnt have to do much at all to improve on his rookie season lol

Hopefully the revamped line will at least give him a chance, plus the addition of Johnson

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

yeah there's a good few things that come into play.

should BY have thrown better balls? yes, but he didn't.

should BY have been in a better situation so he could throw better balls? yes, but he wasn't (thank play design and crappy blocking)

should mingo have been able to make adjustments back to the ball and make things happen  when throws were (much) less than perfect? yes. 

again, i'm hoping that XL can be that guy and that Brooks shows to be a solid dump off target. JT should be a good target as well.

What we desperately needed was a quick zone beater which we got in Dionte. That was the bigger need to help handicap our chap at QB.

XL is the large catch radius to make up for his strays and floaters so the team is trying to cover both ends that previously weren’t. 

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This chart posted above by @CPF4LIFE checks out versus the eye test IMO.

Screenshot_20240514-105406.thumb.png.973f0e1600bea0cc7f1ad78725694d8d.png

I was going to quote the post but it was a mess trying to crop out that individual tweet on a phone browser. That chart basically screams what I saw on the field last year which was the worst starting QB in the NFL by a considerable margin and basically run of the mill bad receivers. The combination of the two yielded predictable abysmal results.

Bryce truly did have the worst QB rookie season in the history of the NFL 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Both can be true and are. There’s no apologizing. The dude even lays it out.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I'm not defending our receivers. They were an overall bad group. But I think of you took that group and put an elite QB with them we would've seen significantly different results. The Bryce Young we saw last year... man, I'm not sure any receiver group could salvage that. You'd need a Niners or Dolphins type situation where the entire overall offensive talent is great and there's a wiz designing the offense and calling the plays. We need every aspect of our offense to be a lot better this year.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Bryce truly did have the worst QB rookie season in the history of the NFL 

Probably not in the history but certainly in the modern NFL where they've made life a lot easier on QBs than it used to be when you could beat the hell out of them and the WRs both.

• Pie 2

19 minutes ago, CRA said:

Bama also had really weak QB play last year.  UnBama like.  It's like throwing gas on a fire.  Bad QBs make OLs way worse. 

It's a pretty simple point.  He stated Bryce made the OL of Alabama look bad which never happens.  It was literally worse the year he left.  Before that it was worse in the 90s.  I get people are down on him, but his college play was solid.  I would say let's not get carried away here, but I am sure we are all well past that point.

Bad QBs CAN make OLs look worse and bad OLs can make QBs look worse.  People were high on Sam Howell and he was sacked more than Bryce.  Does that mean he is worse than Bryce?

13 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

What we desperately needed was a quick zone beater which we got in Dionte. That was the bigger need to help handicap our chap at QB.

XL is the large catch radius to make up for his strays and floaters so the team is trying to cover both ends that previously weren’t. 

XL is a downfield big play receiver All day. The question is will he get legit opportunities to do that.

• Flames 1

Arguing about the OL he had at Alabama is pointless. It was still Alabama.

In the end the biggest takeaway you need to consider from his time at Alabama is he had a significantly worse deep ball than Mac Jones Tua and Jalen Hurts. No improvements on the OL are going to change that at either level.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

Arguing about the OL he had at Alabama is pointless. It was still Alabama.

In the end the biggest takeaway you need to consider from his time at Alabama is he had a significantly worse deep ball than Mac Jones Tua and Jalen Hurts. No improvements on the OL are going to change that at either level.

Exactly. I was dumbfounded when folks legitimately tried to argue leading up to the draft that Bryce was having to carry inferior talent at ALABAMA. Even in a "down" year at Bama they absolutely have a top 10, probably a top 5 overall roster in terms of overall talent and depth of talent. There was maybe 2-3 times in Bryce's entire college career where his team wasn't the overall most talented team in the field.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

14 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

XL is a downfield big play receiver All day. The question is will he get legit opportunities to do that.

Yep. It’s that or you work him in motion and get him the ball quickly, early.

With his downfield play, even if he’s got the ups, you want to be throwing him open and leading him, like any receiver. 

A big detriment to Bryce’s game last year and in college was his deep ball accuracy. Hopefully it can improve with a guy like XL. Because he can beat man with his speed and muscle—he’s a third down vertical threat for sure. A problem is are these going to be jump balls with no YAC potential or can we figure this deep ball game out with the kid at QB.

2 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Bryce made a Alabama offensive line look bad with all the sacks he took the year before last. When does that ever happen with Alabama? 

Nobody talks about this

Jesus people, no one is saying he had a bad OL at Alabama.  It was quite good.  The whole debate was about this quote.  The answer was last year.  Last year they broke a school record for most sacks allowed.  That is all.  He already acknowledged it was incorrect.  Move it along back to his size or arm or another usual topic.