• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does anyone actually think Bryce will actually be good?

25 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Were they the only two 1st overall? Stafford was worth it but Palmer? Meh.

I was just thinking a tad further than cam, Palmer had some good seasons, then after that, the mannings? 

Does anyone actually think we won't get yet another thread where we trash whomever is under center? 

Then again, it's tradition around here. Only thing I probably missed was how we trashed Rodney Peete.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I don't think you are allowed to use facts.

Want to see something crazy?  Look in Bryce stats after Dallas game.  They parked Bryce and told him to play conservative.

Bryce first 9 games: 9 TDs, 8 Int, ~1,600 total yards.  

Bryce last 8 games: 2 TD, 2 Int, ~1,600 total yards.  With just 1 game over 200 yards passing.  If you remove that game… Bryce is 0 TDs, 2 Int, and 1,300 total yards in 7 games.

Just disaster the way the handled him.  Dude regressed as the season went on.  He took zero chances after bye week.  Just stayed in the pocket and got pounded.

His confidence got sucked out just by looking at his stats.

Edited by Lame Duck
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Lame Duck said:

Want to see something crazy?  Look in Bryce stats after Dallas game.  They parked Bryce and told him to play conservative.

Bryce first 9 games: 9 TDs, 8 Int, ~1,600 total yards.  

Bryce last 8 games: 2 TD, 2 Int, ~1,600 total yards.  With just 1 game over 200 yards passing.  If you remove that game… Bryce is 0 TDs, 2 Int, and 1,300 total yards in 7 games.

Just disaster the way the handled him.  Dude regressed as the season went on.  He took zero chance.  Just stayed in the pocket and got pounded.

Or its more likely coordinators got film on him and turned the screws

23 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

No just 1st overall picks. My point is that just because they are the 1st overall pick doesn't guarantee a damn thing. Doesn't mean anything other than a team had their choice and picked them 1st. Doesn't make them super human and a guaranteed franchise changer. History teaches us that to those that choose to listen. 

So where does the trade up come into play in this? I think Goff was the only other major trade up for a QB at no.1

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He got progressively worse after Reich got fired.  I think Tepper screwed up.  It’s no coincidence.  Brown was a complete dog crap of a coordinator.

Just now, Lame Duck said:

He got progressively worse after Reich got fired.  I think Tepper screwed up.  It’s no coincidence.  Brown was a complete dog crap of a coordinator.

I mean his OC’s wife publicly said he was already shutting it down…

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Normally that would make sense, but I think defenses played him like a rookie all year and dared him to throw.  Press up on our WRs who can't separate and send pressure right up the middle. The Falcons week 1 let their safety free play in the box and just read Bryce.  Do you recall any early games where the defenses were playing for the deep pass?  I honestly don't...

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

So where does the trade up come into play in this? I think Goff was the only other major trade up for a QB at no.1

The trade up compounds the mistake. It's bad enough when you've earned your way organically to that pick. But when you trade up for it? You better get the best of the bunch. And then that player may not live up to the expectations of being the franchise savior. There's no saving some franchises but 1 player never solves enough to get you over the top.

Posted (edited)

Has any QB taken with the  Number 1, acquired by trade, ever killed it? I think the people that are considered generational will never be acquired that way, a team won’t trade. (which makes trading into it more suspect)

Okay I looked because I could not remember a QB taken number one where the pick was traded to their team, ever having the career that was envisioned. 

I thought Vick was the #2 but n o he was the 1st pick. I didn’t look at the price but if he hadn’t fought those dogs he would have been one.

Coincidentally, Steve Bartkowski in 1775 and also an Atlanta selection, is the other. 

I don’t think Goff was a real satisfying selection either but we are talking multiple draft picks and the 1st overall selection is expected be special going into the proposition. 

What I remember of Bartkowski is he was that really good QB stuck on a crappy team. I think he wopuld be my choice of the three fwiw, to be worth the investment. Maybe not, it was a long time ago. Memory. 

Since 1967

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35429888/nfl-draft-no-1-pick-trade-history-1967-every-top-selection-changed-teams

A footnote: Chicago has an opportunity to nail it with a Number 1 acquired by trade, this year. dammit. We’ll see how that goes. 

Edited by strato

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

The trade up compounds the mistake. It's bad enough when you've earned your way organically to that pick. But when you trade up for it? You better get the best of the bunch. And then that player may not live up to the expectations of being the franchise savior. There's no saving some franchises but 1 player never solves enough to get you over the top.

Niners are the only recent team to trade up a haul and still survive after the pick didn't work out.  It's also just not very common so it's not a real good sample size...