• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Line

twylyght

As it seems that this discussion is tied to QB play and results, I wanted to dedicate a specific thread to this issue. I'd like to get everyone's take on what they are seeing.

Myself, the past two weeks have shown a vast improvement in run blocking. However, the pass blocking seems to be beyond atrocious. It has been pointed out that Goodson has performed as a running RB, but lacked severely as a pass blocker.

My question is this: Why/How has this happened? Even our probowlers seem to be getting beat on one-on-one battles consistently. Is it:

1) the QB missing the hot call at the line?

2) lack of play calling to recognize/adapt to defensive schemes?

3) lack of talent/ability to play against NFL caliber defenses?

4) receivers not getting open quickly enough?

5) QB holding onto the ball too long?

6) something else?

In my view, the play of the offensive line is the single biggest reason for this season's failings. Do you agree/disagree and how do we fix it?

QB play is still a bigger factor. You can change QBs and the difference in the way the line plays can be dramatic....QB can make them look good or bad and who is playing effects what defenses can get away w/ doing.

Peyton Manning plays behind a garbage OL. Philly's OL was garbage until a mobile Vick took the field......now they get the job done. Look at the way Tenn's OL looked this week w/ Rusty Smith at QB.

Whilst the offensive line hasn't been great, it's struggles are being vastly blown out of proportion.

We seem to be fairly poor at blitz pickup which likely stems from having a rookie QB and a young guy at centre, this often leads to the unblocked blitzer nailing Pickles.

I personally put most of it on the play design, allowing teams to telegraph our plays. The mainly long WR routes we run and the refusal to use a TE in the passing game is a huge problem.

However as CRA says a lot of stems from the QB, although not all of it. Our HC & OC should be thinking of ways to help our rook's out, however at the moment they keep on banging the same offensive philosophy just waiting for them to learn and adjust.

QB play is still a bigger factor. You can change QBs and the difference in the way the line plays can be dramatic....QB can make them look good or bad and who is playing effects what defenses can get away w/ doing.

Peyton Manning plays behind a garbage OL. Philly's OL was garbage until a mobile Vick took the field......now they get the job done. Look at the way Tenn's OL looked this week w/ Rusty Smith at QB.

As bad as those lines may be, I have seen them actually throw from a pocket more often than not. I didn't see the Tenn game, so I cannot speak to it

3/5 of the Oline is hurt...well, not really RG, we just don't have someone that doesnt' suck there. still, the line is hurt quite a bit.

there is no cohesion among the guys and they really haven't had success getting on the same page with the QB(s).

another big issue has just been that this year the playcalling, the lack of ability for the QB to get the ball out to the WRs, and the resulting defensive schemes they are having thrown at them don't really give them much of a chance for success.

it's just a perfect storm. there are too many things gone wrong.

that said, a starting RG is a huge need as is depth along the line. all of that can and should be addressed in the offseason through FA. i would like to see us do what we did to fill out OG a couple years ago and just bring in as many FAs as possible and see which ones work well with the 4 starters we have currently (gross/wharton/kalil/otah). i still have some hopes for duke, but i'm not counting on it panning out with him.

3/5 of the Oline is hurt...well, not really RG, we just don't have someone that doesnt' suck there. still, the line is hurt quite a bit.

there is no cohesion among the guys and they really haven't had success getting on the same page with the QB(s).

another big issue has just been that this year the playcalling, the lack of ability for the QB to get the ball out to the WRs, and the resulting defensive schemes they are having thrown at them don't really give them much of a chance for success.

that said, a starting RG is a huge need as is depth along the line. all of that can and should be addressed in the offseason through FA. i would like to see us do what we did to fill out OG a couple years ago and just bring in as many FAs as possible and see which ones work well with the 4 starters we have currently (gross/wharton/kalil/otah). i still have some hopes for duke, but i'm not counting on it panning out with him.

Schwartz has kinda been the reason our running game has started to kick off these last few games. He has probably been our most consistent man on the OLine... If he plays the whole season at this level then he should be the starter next year.

Plus it's amazing how much better Mack is at LG than RG.

I want to agree with you... I really do. But when I am seeing Gross getting it handed to him in one-on-one drills, it's hard to think that shoring up a position or two on the line will cure all our ills. On one play this Sunday, I am watching Schwartz casually standing up, putting a single hand on Shaun Rogers, and facing the wrong direction while Rogers plows up the middle with nothing but that performance between him and Clausen. As good as his run blocking has been, we can't expect to sniff a playoff-caliber team at any point with this type of play.

That said, you may be right in that the way to fix this is finding our personnel wading through a certifiable mass of applicants.

The problem with our O-line this year vs. past years is that the NFL moved the referee behind the QB. He was behind the LB's. Now our O-linemen cannot get away with holding like they did in the past. Like shining a flashlight in a corner...you can see all of the dirt.

The problem with our O-line this year vs. past years is that the NFL moved the referee behind the QB. He was behind the LB's. Now our O-linemen cannot get away with holding like they did in the past. Like shining a flashlight in a corner...you can see all of the dirt.

Best observation I've seen so far. Rep for you

Archived