• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFC Scout on Gabbert

unicar15

I can agree with most of this... especially the part about him being the best QB prospect...

But, that doesn't say a lot for this QB class in my opinion...

I agree about Pike, too...

I respect that feeling and you have a point. I think all of the quarterbacks will increase their stock at combine and workout time.

I just bristle when people compare him to Clausen or say he's a worse version of Pike.

So what's the difference between him and Cam Newton, other than Cam is bigger and blacker like a Chris Rock special on HBO?

Gabbert sounds like a late first early second round pick to me too.

Screw both of those guys. I think we might be better off calling Vinny Testeverde and Randle Cunningham to see if they are willing to come out of retirement.

i wouldn't mind it, but only if they can guarantee that he sits and observes and isn't thrown into the fires like clausen was. with rivera as head coach, i can pretty much assume that wouldn't happen because he had rivers on his team, a guy that sat behind drew brees for a few years and then came out beasting.

only take him if you sign a vet and either let the vet play, or throw clausen's ass out to the wolves.

Gabbert is the number one QB right now but I will be surprised if he stays there after all the evaluations, combines, and pro days.

I have been advocating for Cam Newton, BUT I really believe that Mallett will end up the number one QB on the board when all is said and done. He is 6'7 235 lbs. and had tremendous success against the best competition. When he can plant his back foot he by far has the strongest arm and accuracy in this years draft.

Gabbert is hot right now because of one game, against Iowa. Watch his games against Nebraska and Texas Tech in back to back weeks. He could hardly complete a pass.

Like I said I am a Newton guy but I would be happy if Mallett ended up the guy. Gabbert I'm afraid is over hyped, over rated, and has HIGH bust potential.

same article.

Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley's monster game against Oregon, combined with Luck's announcement, created a buzz for him that resulted in some mock drafts giving him to Carolina at No. 1 overall. In the estimation of some, Fairley, a junior who is expected to declare for the draft this week, leap-frogged Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers as the top-rated defensive lineman.

"Before it's all said and done, I think you'll see Fairley grade out better than [Oklahoma defensive tackle] Gerald McCoy, [who went third overall last year to Tampa Bay],'' the NFC scout said. "It wouldn't shock me if he goes first overall. Bowers is good, but that kid from Auburn is special now. He's the type of guy that elevates the play of others around him, and those guys are pretty rare. He has his issues with taking cheap shots at times, but there are teams that like a little of that in their players. The Ravens look for guys like that, and they find them, too. He'd have to be a real turd to make me pass on him. We'd make a spot for him if he was somehow still there when we pick.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/01/12/2011-nfl-draft/index.html#ixzz1AwXYjmAQ

first...there is no "pro ready" QB in this draft. matter of opinion right here,, but newton has the most potential of the whole group largely based on athleticism. of the whole rest of the QB group, nothing but mediocre choices at best. the only reason that gabbert is so popular now is because of that bowl game and the fact that the rest of the QBs coming out have already been heavily scrutinized. it's a desperate choice for draftniks looking to give the teams desperate for QBs this year a worthwhile choice, only it isn't one and there really aren't any. he will go high in the draft, but not because of his talent. it will be because this class is so bad and a team desperate to have a QB and scared of newton will make the ultimate reach for him. i just hope that the panthers isn't that team.

he has incredibly happy feet and is horrible in the pocket under pressure. even with a 3 man rush he would panic. that happy feet effects the velocity on his throws and also the accuracy. he panics worse than clausen. he isn't someone that you could plug in early. the only real chance for success he has is going to a team that has a stable coaching and QB situation where he gets groomed for a few years to take over. he is far from being able to take over, which is someone you want in a first round pick. he is as much a project as anyone in this draft. of the QBs that have come out in the first round the past 3 years or so, he would be the worst. and yes, that includes The Golden Calf of Bristol.

first...there is no "pro ready" QB in this draft. matter of opinion right here,, but newton has the most potential of the whole group largely based on athleticism. of the whole rest of the QB group, nothing but mediocre choices at best. the only reason that gabbert is so popular now is because of that bowl game and the fact that the rest of the QBs coming out have already been heavily scrutinized. it's a desperate choice for draftniks looking to give the teams desperate for QBs this year a worthwhile choice, only it isn't one and there really aren't any. he will go high in the draft, but not because of his talent. it will be because this class is so bad and a team desperate to have a QB and scared of newton will make the ultimate reach for him. i just hope that the panthers isn't that team.

he has incredibly happy feet and is horrible in the pocket under pressure. even with a 3 man rush he would panic. that happy feet effects the velocity on his throws and also the accuracy. he panics worse than clausen. he isn't someone that you could plug in early. the only real chance for success he has is going to a team that has a stable coaching and QB situation where he gets groomed for a few years to take over. he is far from being able to take over, which is someone you want in a first round pick. he is as much a project as anyone in this draft. of the QBs that have come out in the first round the past 3 years or so, he would be the worst. and yes, that includes The Golden Calf of Bristol.

:iagree:

What he said!

Archived