• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Goodell to cut his salary to $1 in event of lockout

Darknight

NEW YORK -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will cut his salary to $1 if there is a work stoppage after the collective bargaining agreement expires in March.

Goodell, who makes about $10 million a year including bonuses, said in a memo to his staff Wednesday that chief negotiator Jeff Pash will do the same. Pash makes nearly $5 million a year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6060915

What do you guys think of this move by Goodell?

What a trooper; he'll only have $55,000,001 in 2011. It's gonna be rough. Hope he can handle it.

And he'll still have less money in the bank than Peyton Manning.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20110124/SPORTS2001/301249977/1094/SPORTS20

Indianapolis has signed only four free agents since Manning agreed to a seven-year, $98 million contract in 2004. Before the 2004 deal, the Colts did use their franchise tag on Manning.

Now... here's the question of more relevance.

Is DeMaurice Smith going to forgo his salary if there is a lockout?

so would rather have him take the 10,000,000?

It's not his fault he's successful and the commissioner of the most successful sport in in the USA.

By cutting his salary, he is acknowledging that his enormously inflated salary (which was actually higher before 2009, he reduced it to $11 mil) is a factor in the labor dispute. If he was sincere he would have reduced his salary to a less Caesar-like level long before this.

It's been said; meaningless PR move.

$10 Mil a year? holy crap!!!

ya, he could afford a little time at a buck a year I am thinking...he won't be having a hard time putting food on the table.

I like Panthro's idea in a different thread...the players should threaten to sit out of the super bowl...that would get some attention

I like Panthro's idea in a different thread...the players should threaten to sit out of the super bowl...that would get some attention

I don't see that happening, too much pride/money. However I could see them sitting out the Pro Bowl. Not as meaningful on the surface, but it would be a big, public black eye for the owners. Not to mention, that $23k-$45K probably wouldn't make much of a difference to most of those guys.

Meh, it's not meaningless if someone who would otherwise be laid off doesn't have to be because of it... It's still more than what many corporations do in America today so whatever.

Not like it changes much, but it's something.

edit: Also, what's meaningless is Smith's comment on twitter...

Archived