• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Coach, there's too much pressure on me..."

Mr. Scot

I really believe that. When I was a kid I got a Kerry Collins statue/doll and when you press a button that was on the platform, he would talk about the day he got drafted. He mentioned he would've liked to be on one of the more traditional teams like the Giants etc. Never thought much of it as a kid, but now those words are quite alarming.

in Ernie Accorsi's book he states that when he interviewed Collins to sign with the Giants Kerry told him he always dreamed of playing on a traditional team, and then thought he got drafted to a team with a goofy looking uniform

people who think we should sign him as a vet should read this 8 times. I don't ever want this gutless turd playing on our field again unless our defense is knocking him senseless every time he drops back, maybe then he'll feel like he's playing against an NFL team, because according to him he didn't feel like he was playing for one when he was with us

There was a time when the Titans QB depth chart included Kerry Collins, Vince Young and Chris Simms.

I remember thinking that bunch needed a trip to The Wizard. Then they could have asked him for a heart, a brain and a spleen.

I don't care who you are, that there is funny. Git er done.

...and even at that, it's hard to predict how these kids will handle the pressures of being an NFL QB. I don't care what school you went to, how much attention you got, etc... there's nothing to simulate the pressure of being an NFL starting QB.

True, and obviously more important at QB than any other position. I would say DBs and QB's have the most mental-toughness dependence of any position. It would take FBI type screening to really get to know how these guys tick because based on what we read, and how we experience life, any good lookin woman can give one the impression she's a good fit with your life, but it takes more than a few weeks to really to get a feel of her. I don't know what kind of interviewing process goes on, but if we do have a lockout, I'd feel good atleast we really get to spend a lot more time in the process.

Also, you have to admit that one thing the panthers organization has been pretty good at of the past decade is build along high character guys.

Zoiks...how did he end up staying in the league for so long.

His next stop was New Orleans and Mike Ditka. He went into therapy while with them and came out of it a sober, different person.

The Panthers have never been able to deal with players that have problems outside of football. He should've had help his first year here.

His next stop was New Orleans and Mike Ditka. He went into therapy while with them and came out of it a sober, different person.

The Panthers have never been able to deal with players that have problems outside of football. He should've had help his first year here.

Being a new NFL franchise, I'm not quite sure the Panthers organization knew just how to help Collins with his 'problems', and even if they did, it's no given it would've helped. For various reasons, the relationship just didn't work and, IMO, it was more on Collins than on the Panthers as has already been commented on.

The Collins situation speaks to why the BPA philosophy is by and large the best one when it comes to drafting. If this was followed, Polian and co should've/would've taken Steve McNair, who was the best player in that year's draft. I'm sure this would have led to a few more winning seasons for the franchise, but I regress.

JR, McCormack, Polian and Capers were all "old school" guys... I don't think they knew how to help Collins work through his issues, they expected him to man-up and get the job done.

I knew Collins had his problem's, but it sound's like he was just a d%#@*bag with a drinking problem. I've had problem's with drinking when I was younger so i know it can drag you down, from what GRWatcher said he went to rehab in NO. If our staff then could'nt get the guy help..? I'd say our current staff won't have a problem dealing with situation's like this in the future. I hope they never need to!

Archived