• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What should the Panthers do with the first pick in the draft?

Brokenbad

I think come draft day the Panthers are going to feel pressure to take Newton from the fanbase. They don't want to see an empty stadium every Sunday next season.

I wonder if they (Rivera and company) think they can develop Cam. A QB like him (running QB :rolleyes:) can be a coach killer if there isn't enough progress quick enough. Look how many coaches lost their jobs in Atlanta with Vick. So, has JR brought in the right coaches to develop Cam to become a proficient passing QB that can take off and run from time to time like Steve Young?

I'd take Luck every single time hands-down if it were an option. Sadly, it's not. Newton has the potential to be as good as Luck has the potential to be. Difference is the degree of risk involved. Luck is as sure a bet as there is for a QB; Newton is a huge risk.

But still, the potential is there. I say we have to swing for the fences; if we miss, so be it, at least we went down swinging. See the quote under my sig...

NFL.com question of the day; here are the choices:

Pick a franchise QB

Take a dominant pass rusher

Get a play-making receiver

Select a shutdown cornerback

I don't consider anyone to be a "franchise qb" in this draft honestly.

Cam would be fun though.

I vote for start another thread about the same damn topic.

I think it's funny that many of you say Gabbert doesn't have as much potential but then come back and say that you haven't seen enough video on him lol... I gaurantee you he is a better and safer prospect in every way than Cam right now... maybe not with as much up side, but with alot of upside... Remember Russell had "tremendous" upside as well...

Ideally, for me, would be trade down with Cincy to get Palmer, draft Dareus or Fairley.

Win:win

This would be a nice deal if we could pull it off. Personally, I would rather have Cobb, but I would take either. We don't need someone to throw 300 yards every game with the style offense we have run and will most likely continue to run. Someone like Big Ben would be a perfect fit - ie. makes the big throws when you need them but doesn't light up the stats.

This reminds me of the 2006 draft. Houston had the choice of either Mario Williams Reggie Bush or Vince Young. Houston got blasted for taking Williams but in retrospect it was the right decision. Now this year is the same thing no clear cut #1 you go BPA amd take PP.

I just do not see Gabbert or Newton being an NFL franchise QB. We're better off locking down half of the field with Peterson then we are Overthrowing our WR's and running the ball from our QB every play. I just dont see it. Draft a DT or Peterson, try and trade down.. but Gabbert and Newton are NOT the answer.

Archived