• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera: Panthers looking at more than QBs

mav1234

From http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/, Rivera: Panthers looking at more than QBs

Echoing what he said at the NFL combine last month, Rivera mentioned the Panthers have zeroed in on about eight prospects. He said three of those targets are quarterbacks – Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Mallett – but not all.

Asked if Gabbert and Newton, considered by draft experts as the top quarterbacks in the draft, were on a different level than Mallett, Rivera responded: “I wouldn't necessarily say that. Because as far as throwing the ball, you've really got to evaluate each guy's strengths and weaknesses.

“And the other thing: There's other positions were looking at, too.”

“We have a number of positions that we've identified as needs. We're trying to get to that point where we can start filling those needs as the time is appropriate,” Rivera said. “If you can fill a need through free agency, we're going to do it. If we have to go through the draft, we'll do it. If we've got to make a trade, we'll do it.”

Food for thought. I think his dancing around the question about Mallett, Gabbert, and Newton is interesting... because if you're focusing only on throwing the ball, Mallett may just be the best out of three.

Ryan Mallett? at one........man if he got picked at number one he would snort all the cocaine in north carolina

Who ever said JR didn't care about the community? Hell, he cares about the entire state apparently, taking drugs out of the hands of residents across the state!

Also, anyone who says that Newton is getting hit the hardest with 'character assassination' bullshit needs to read this post, haha.

Something thing that got my attention seems to be they're keeping the possibility open not only to trade down a few, but maybe to mid round-1 for a few additional picks in the draft. Maybe we could get a 1st, 2nd, & 3rd for the #1 overall & one of our 6s. We could get a QB, DT, & CB by the top of the third. Also, we still have plenty additional picks (2 more 3rds, rest of draft) to add some DL, OL, & DB help. As much as some may want to admit it, we have to somewhat be open to Mallet because you never know what the fug may happen in the draft, especially this one.

Now I'm not a fan of Mallet atm, but anybody can change whether it be Newton, Gabbert, or Mallett both game & attitude wise. This Ryan character may seem dumb as a brick and probably tried coke a few times, but I'm sure he knows what level he's going to and needs to sharpen up and become a student & leader of the game if he truly wants to succeed. Plus, he's shown that he can be a hell of a passer. This is what I hope happens to the kid and I'll try to stay positive and hopeful rather than joking about his drug use and brushing him off like nothing.

Archived