• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How Many Quarterbacks Will Go in the First 2 Rounds?

mav1234

Was looking over who needed a QB and who might take a QB. In addition to the Panthers, Bills, Bengals, Cardinals, 49ers, Titans, Redskins, Vikings, and 'Fins, both the Colts and the Seahawks have been linked to QBs (though not in the 1st necessarily, and the colts is for grooming a successor so I doubt it needs to happen this year).

However, it's very, very unlikely that all these teams would select QBs. First, some of those teams likely believe that what they have is better than the second set of QBs in this draft (...for instance, that's apparently what we think), and second, some of them may just feel that reaching for a QB is a bad idea when all those teams have other needs beside QB, too.

The average number of QBs taken in the first two rounds is something like 5 over the last few years. But the weirdness with FA due to the CBA could change all of that.

If we assume there are 8 QBs under consideration to go in the top 2 rounds (Gabbert, Newton, Mallett, Locker, Dalton, Ponder, Stanzi, Kaepernick), how many do you guys think actually go?

I'm thinking this year will have 6 go in the first two round, and I think Stanzi and Kaepernick slide into the third.

Yeah, I heard that too. I just don't think they should invest their first in him, and some people expect him to be gone before they pick again in the second.

They've also worked out Kaepernick. I tell you what, if they can pick him up in the third or even maybe late in the second, that would be the perfect situation for him and he could come out of this class as the best QB out of it when he plays in a few years. It would give him time to sit behind an all time great, working out his mechanics problems, adjust to the game in part, pick up good film study habits...

1st: Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Colin Kaepernick

2nd: Christian Ponder, Jake Locker

Mallet as the 6th QB off the board? I have a hard time seeing that.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Mallett wind up in Oakland behind Campbell, he has what Davis covets, a big arm and character concerns.

I think one of Locker/Mallett will fall to the 3rd round. Mallett's a bit of a wild card as a lot of teams won't want him due to his character concerns. But all it takes is one and Oakland is one team that could bite. I still think they could get him in the 3rd, though.

Mallet as the 6th QB off the board? I have a hard time seeing that.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Mallett wind up in Oakland behind Campbell, he has what Davis covets, a big arm and character concerns.

If that's the case, I'm thinkin' Bruce Gradkowski could be a decent vet for us to work out along with Bulger and Volek. Another random name I thought of: Is Sage Rosenfels a free agent?

->

QB: Newton, Clausen, Vet (Maybe Moore)

If that's the case, I'm thinkin' Bruce Gradkowski could be a decent vet for us to work out along with Bulger and Volek. Another random name I thought of: Is Sage Rosenfels a free agent?

->

QB: Newton, Clausen, Vet (Maybe Moore)

If it's Rookie/Clausen/Vet. That vet won't be Moore. It will be someone with more experience in the league. Preferably Volek, a guy who actually has experience in the system we are planning to run.

People will trade up, of course: Good question, by the way

Cam Newton (Cin)

Blaine Gabbert (AZ)

Christian Ponder (Miami)

Ryan Mallett (Seattle)

Second round:

Jake Locker (Buffalo, maybe?)

Colin Kaepernick (I see him in Indy, but they will have to deal)

Third Round: (Bonus nonsense)

Andy Dalton (SF-Harbaugh likes the winners)

Ricky Stanzi (Redskins will trade up)

Archived