• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remind me why Marty Hurney should be fired.

beckersteen

Soft is a relative term. If he's able to play and just doesn't want to play through the pain that's one thing, but I don't think that's been said to be the case. TBH, his conditioning is more of a concern to me than his being 'soft.'

Subtract the 2010 season and Otah is soft. For a big man he surely doesn't know how to play with pain.

Such shallow minds on this board. The Panthers have more players they drafted (by Hurney) playing in the NFL then the majority of teams in the NFL.

All the trash talking about Jake? No one seemed to mind when he took us to the Super Bowl or playoffs. Or during his tenure as QB he was one of the leaders in the NFL for comeback victories. Fox stood by him too long NO DOUBT and the 20 million contract hurt but Jake was the man and any of you slugs that like to diminish what he did here should be stripped of your colors to the Panthers.

sorry,but was jake the man or was steve smith? A lot of his passes look like save me steve smith passes to me. I've never been a jake fan even when he was winning. I always felt like he was 1 pick from throwing the game away. Yes he managed the game well for a few seasons but was never elite. I don't think you could ever depend on jake to go out and throw 3 touchdowns in back to back games.

As far as otah. he is a monster in when it comes to "run blocking". maybe the best run blocking RT in the league. pass blocking is another story. he's average,and he seems to be made of glass. every week you have to go in praying thats not otah rolling around and guess who it is...I think if the panthers had to do the draft over again the laugh at the thought of trading up to get jeff.

sorry,but was jake the man or was steve smith? A lot of his passes look like save me steve smith passes to me. I've never been a jake fan even when he was winning. I always felt like he was 1 pick from throwing the game away. Yes he managed the game well for a few seasons but was never elite. I don't think you could ever depend on jake to go out and throw 3 touchdowns in back to back games.

As far as otah. he is a monster in when it comes to "run blocking". maybe the best run blocking RT in the league. pass blocking is another story. he's average,and he seems to be made of glass. every week you have to go in praying thats not otah rolling around and guess who it is...I think if the panthers had to do the draft over again the laugh at the thought of trading up to get jeff.

EVERY QB in the league has a favorite target. Smitty was Jakes and rightfully so but some of his most memorable passes were not to SS. People didn't care for Jake because he was a gunslinger. I loved watching him and I would take him in his prime over anyone other than maybe Manning, Brady and Brees.

So I will just agree to disagree with you it.

Otah is SOFT...excluding 2010.... he never played with pain. If he had an owie he was on the bench.

If he had the toughness of his draft mate Stewart we would probably not where we are this season.

Lets not forget how he attempted to trade this years first round pick to move up into the first round and get Clausen but couldn't find any takers. Had another team taken that deal he would be fired with Fox.

Just because all the players you draft are still on the roster does not make your drafts good when you are one of the least talented teams in the NFL. That stat was also skewed by the youth movement.

Hurney was also responsible for RESIGNING the 35 YEAR OLD Jake to a contract extension after 6 interceptions and horrible QB play.

That extension was a cap move pure and simple. (Not that i'd expect you to understand that.) His owner forced him to pay a guy $17 million when we already were in a cap crunch. The only way Hurney could stay under the cap was to extend Delhomme or cut like 3 or 4 other guys.

If you want to poo on Marty for his retarded trades or virtual ineptitude in the second round, go right ahead. But, the Jake extension? He had his hand forced and did what he had to do.

Lets not forget how he attempted to trade this years first round pick to move up into the first round and get Clausen but couldn't find any takers. Had another team taken that deal he would be fired with Fox.

Just because all the players you draft are still on the roster does not make your drafts good when you are one of the least talented teams in the NFL. That stat was also skewed by the youth movement.

Least Talented??? How so? Maybe least experienced but NO WHERE NEAR LEAST TALENTED.

I am not even going to quantify the rest of your comment. What you said makes NO SENSE basically you are saying the talent WE HAD and had to let go and are on other teams means our draft sucked... WTFever.

This is ultimately where I wanted to go with this topic. We are far from the least talented. I'll stood by Fox when he said we have talent. We brought in some good players. Some of them really good. They were not being developed at all. Now we have a completely new coaching staff. Remember Hurney is a gambler. You will win some and you will lose some. I think all in all he ha had a positive affect.

No seriously. Remind me.

Not saying he should be but if I was going to argue it......I would say a lot of people can hit on 1st round picks with a decent track record so people hanging on to what he does in the 1st round doesn't impress me that much. 1st round is pretty easy and late in the draft is pretty much a shot in the dark.

Let's look at rounds 2-3 to evaluate Hurney.

Clausen

LaFell

Edwards

Brown

Martin

Irvin

Godfrey

Connor

Jarrett

Kalil

Johnson

Marshall

Anderson

Butler

Shelton

Matthis

Ellison

Colbert

Wharton

Nelson

Seidman

Manning Jr

Foster

Spoon

That is 24 draft picks. How many would you say turned out to be legitimately good (or better). How many bad. How many yet to be determined.

Hurney doesn't deserve to be fired just yet, but he also doesn't deserve the undying affection he receives from most on this board. I can't think of another GM in history who has had a 1-15 season and is still lauded by the majority of the fanbase.

If we have another shit season like we did last year, he needs to GTFO.

Brown

2 RB's in the first in 3 years

Edwards

Jarrett

Peppers situation

The cap hell that he put us in to have to sign Delhomme to an extension

2-14

Inability to understand that you have to have a QB to win consistantly in the NFL

I am not saying fire him now, right before the draft, I am saying that after the events listed above, he should not have been here.

Brown

2 RB's in the first in 3 years

Edwards

Jarrett

Peppers situation

The cap hell that he put us in to have to sign Delhomme to an extension

2-14

Inability to understand that you have to have a QB to win consistantly in the NFL

I am not saying fire him now, right before the draft, I am saying that after the events listed above, he should not have been here.

Got no problem w/ the 2 RBs. They are the reason we won in 08, they are the reason we got to .500 despite horrible QB play in 09, and you can't hold 10 against them.....they don't have super powers.

Too early to use Edwards against him.

2-14 had nothing to do with him. Richardson is the one who created the lameduck enviroment with a coach/team on two different pages.

Archived