• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who else is on the fence, unsure, or have wavered about who we should draft?

theyhateme45

I believe we will have a better team next yr, but have you looked at the schedule. We will be a better team but our record will not show it. I see us picking in the top 10 next yr .... Even if they pick our "SAVIOR" Cam

Our schedule at this point in the year means nothing to me... We haven't even had the draft of FA yet. And very rarely are the strong and weak teams the same from one year to the next.... Strength of schedule is based on old historical data that has little relevance in predicting the schedule strength for the upcoming season.

Also we have NO, ATL, and TB twice who all finished with good records and inflate our schedule strength.

Even looking towards the future the NFC North, and AFC South are not the toughest divisions to be playing... Tennessee- No QB, Houston - Stuck in mediocrity, Jacksonville - See Houston, Detroit - On the rise not great yet, Min - No QB on the decline, Chicago - Above average depending on the day...

Then our other two games based on standings - Arizona and Washington, both with a lot of holes and QB issues like us.... So the schedule means nothing to me, especially if you’re saying it will be hard.

Hurney has never shown to be anything other than 2 things:

1-BPA is who he likes to select

2-He loves to trade for whatever reason

If Hurney stays true to form, which I believe he will, we either trade down (my preference) or take BPA (Green, Dareus, or Peterson).

Hurney has never been someone to draft for need with the exception of last year when he traded up to get AE. I think his error in that regard last year will reinforce his BPA strategy even more.

Yes Miller is a great prospect.... but isn't his stenght more suited for a Outside LB in a 3-4 Defense? How would you use him in our 4-3 and would that take away from his strengths?

From another thread speculating about Miller's role...

From what I've read, the Sam backer blitzes more often in the Jim Johnson scheme, but not necessarily always from the outside. Johnson loved to blitz two linebackers through the A gaps (either side of center) out of a nickel formation in third down. Even if it's picked up, it screws with the protections.

So my guess would be strong side. If Davis isn't ready, Beason stays at the will and Connor is the Mike.

If Davis is ready, it gets complex. Davis has played both sides but played weak side last, if I remember right (could be wrong). If you put Davis back in that role and play Miller at strong, then you'd then have to decide between Connor and Beason in the middle. Love Connor, but I have to imagine that edge goes to Beason.

If you go with the 'three best guys' theory and decide that's Beason, Connor and Davis then you've got to move either Beason or Davis to the strong side. I think Davis might be the better blitzer, so Sam would make sense, but dang I'd sure like to go an offseason without asking Thomas Davis to switch positions yet again :(

(all of this assumes Davis is re-signed of course; James Anderson quite probably wouldn't be)

I convince myself I don't know who is best to take because there are a number of great options.

You're not alone :lol:

Read about the good stuff, "We should take this guy" :thumbsup:

Read about the bad stuff, "Ooooh, now I'm not so sure" :(

It's such a rollercoaster :willy_nilly:

Through out this process i been thinking whats best for the team. We could use alot of help offense and defensive wise. I know Cam Newton is the star of the draft he should be well deserved. I know Blaine gabbert can be a pretty good Quarterback one day. But I think its just to risky for us to go the quarterback route this year, I know we need one but it maybe best to wait. So I thought about what we should do and what maybe best is to trade down but if we cant I think we should go Marcel Dareus or AJ Green. Who ever will benefit us the most. Also if we trade down I think Fairley should be in consideration and also Patrick Peterson.

I think its way to risky right now to take a Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert.

We WILL be running some 3-4.

Miller would be an awesome "and you thought you had us figured out, hah-hah" pick. Which wouldn't alone make it a good pick, but I'd love to see the faces of people at the draft party if we did that lol.

I want Dareus but am torn between him AJ and PP7

Matt Moore to AJ Green. ;)

more likely to be Colt Mccoy to AJ Green it seems like, but who cares...

I have definitely wavered a bit throughout the past couple months, originally not even having a QB in my top 5 to possibly have 2 in the top 4. From what I think, it appears Cam is the better of the two, but that comes from my lacking of knowledge from Bland. I am at much more peace with the possibility of a QB now than I was a few weeks ago. As long as we get a playmaker, I'm happy.

i'm not on the fence.

i've wanted marcell dareus since...

...before the season ended.

...during the full steam ahead andrew luck train.

...during the nick "flairley" hype.

...and now with the "omg, cam newton the rock star/icon is the greatest qb since...since...andrew luck" bandwagon.

marcell dareus is and always has been the pick carolina should make.

and for the people screaming trade...scratch him off the list is carolina does trade.

he won't be there if the panthers trade down.

On the fence between Dareus and Peterson. Haven't wanted Green before but growing comfortable with the idea if it happens. Beginning to allow Von Miller into the equation, though I don't take that idea seriously in the real world (yet).

Pretty much summed up my thoughts.

My list goes something like this:

Dareus

Peterson

Green

Miller

Newton

I would be disgusted if we took Gabbert

safest thing they can do is just pick the surest thing in their estimation between:

Peterson

Green

Dareus

Fairley

Newton

Miller

whoever Riveria, Hurney and our scouts believe is the most sure thing is who they should pick, no gambles this year.

I was at the end of the season in favor of Green.

About a month ago I was in favor or PP.

As of yesterday I am hoping for a trade down and to pick up at least an extra second.

If we don't trade, I am in favor of Dareus.

If it has to be QB, I am torn between Newton and Gabbert.

Dream would be trade down, grab Jones or PP7, get a DT with the 2nd, and grab Palmer in FA.

Archived