• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mayock Officially Becomes a Hater

mav1234

“Something tells me that he’ll be content to be a multimillionaire who’s pretty good,” Mayock said. ”And doesn’t get it done for me.”

“It’s just this gut feeling I have: I don’t know how great he wants to be,” Mayock said on the Dan Patrick Show Monday. ”He’s got all the tools. Mechanically, he’s way beyond where The Golden Calf of Bristol and Vince Young were as college quarterbacks. . . . He’s got everything on the physical side.”

Quotes from here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/25/mayock-on-cam-newton-i-dont-know-how-great-he-wants-to-be/

Actual interview here: http://www.danpatrick.com/2011/04/25/nfl-networks-mike-mayock-raises-questions-about-newton-mallett/

Didn't get to listen to it.

Not sure I agree, but hey. He's welcome to his opinion and he has seen far more of him than I have. Someone who isn't at work, listen to the interview and see if he says anything other than a "gut feeling"?

Does this change anyone's opinion of Newton's success? I was honestly surprised to hear such strong language from Mayock on him. He seemed as if Newton had been slowly moving on up. This is a drastic change and one that kind of worries me since I do respect Mayock's opinion and I also think we're looking closely at Cam.

LOL @ someone being labeled a hater if they don't slurp Newtons jock.

Title is mostly meant in jest. If you know me at all, you know I don't think the world of Newton, either.

Does this change anyones opinion of Newton's likelihood of success?

It is the same thing Mayock has said since pretty much day 1. I think he is dead wrong about what drives Cam Newton. And Hurney and Co. has spent a lot more time with Cam than Mayock has.

But Mayock could be right. But the same could be said about any of these guys. How a guy reacts to getting paid is an unknown for even a guy like Peterson.

when was mayock ever on the cam bandwagon?

he picked and stuck with dareus being the top player in the draft a long time ago.

Cam was his third QB entering the process and he has easily warmed on him and said a number of positives about him over the months, but he always said he didn't know if he's put in the effort to e a star.

Now he's saying more than just "I don't know," but "He'll be content to be a millionaire." That's a pretty big change, IMO... unless he always felt that way and was just trying to be PC.

It is the same thing Mayock has said since pretty much day 1. I think he is dead wrong about what drives Cam Newton. And Hurney and Co. hjas spent a lot more time with Cam than Mayock has.

But Mayock could be right. But the same could be said about any of these guys. How a guy reacts to getting paid is an unknown for even a guy like Peterson.

It's not exactly the same thing. To go from him moving up your board to being concerned because you think he'll be content just getting drafted and paid is a big difference, IMO.

I agree Hurney has spent more time with him and I agree Hurney is likely to have a better idea of that.

Archived