• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Suggested FA Targets - Per Gantt

Captroop

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29407704/

Carolina Panthers

1. Ebenezer Ekuban, DE, Denver.

With Julius Peppers wanting out, the Panthers need help at end, and Ekuban, 32, still has some pass-rush ability. He also fits the team's free-agent profile -- smart and cheap. The team might like to take a run at Arizona's Antonio Smith, but he probably will be too expensive.

2. Jovan Haye, DT, Buccaneers.

Haye is undersized but solid against the run and would help shore up the interior of the line. The Panthers also could make a run at the Colts' Darrell Reid, who had success in Indy under new Panthers coordinator Ron Meeks.

3. Chris Kemoeatu, G, Steelers.

He's physical and mean and could fill the team's only hole in the offensive line. His brother, Maake Kemoeatu, is a starting defensive tackle for the Panthers. The team could resign versatile Geoff Hangartner, but Chris Kemoeatu offers more size and strength.

4. Dre' Bly, CB, Broncos.

The Panthers need to add another starting-caliber body to the secondary, and Bly played college ball at North Carolina. David Barrett (Jets) or Keiwan Ratliff (Colts) are less-expensive options.

5. Mark Jones, KR/PR, Panthers.

He came in and sparked the return game last year. He doesn't have ideal speed, but he improved the team's field position dramatically and created a market for himself. The Panthers looked at KR/CB Chris Carr (Titans) last year and could give him another shot.

-- Darin Gantt

Intesesting picks. Most make sense, but Ekuban? And bly will want more than what he's worth.

We should break are backs trying to get Jones back.

Ebenezer Ekuban? Not interested.

As for DT, if we can't get one cheap (like it or not, we have our starters), then I say we should build through the draft.

Would love to get Chris Kemoeatu, but it would be expensive. Not sure the Panthers would spend that much. Guess I could hope to be surprised.

Dre' Bly is no young chicken any more, so I doubt he gets top dollar. Would be a good pickup.

Mark Jones is at least consistent. Don't let him go.

Ekuban can still play. I'd rather see us address DE in the draft, but if we don't get good value for Peppers, then going after Ekuban wouldn't be a terrible idea. He would probably take a pay cut, and we could probably bring him in for similar numbers to Brayton's contract.

We'd have two solid, average, veteran ends to go with two young prospects. I'm convinced that Charles Johnson will be a beast. But a little competition never hurts.

We have needs at DT and DE. I could see us addressing the needs for one primarily in free agency, and the other primarily in the draft. Unless we get two firsts for Peppers, which looks increasingly unlikely, we absolutely won't be able to find two guys in the draft that can realistically compete for a starting job at DE and DT.

Archived