• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

newton still working w/ weinke and has about 90% of paybook down...

rayzor

Here's the full Sunday write-up

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/02/2425268/quarterback-of-panthers-past-helps.html#ixzz1R2fTfNoL

Even haters must admit this is impressive:

Their first day together, Weinke went over 30 plays with Newton on the dry-erase board, then went outside and ran them. After a film session later in the day, Weinke put Newton at the board and quizzed him on each of the plays.

Newton was 30 for 30.

Here's the full Sunday write-up

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/02/2425268/quarterback-of-panthers-past-helps.html#ixzz1R2fTfNoL

Even haters must admit this is impressive:

Its a good thing he is retaining so much because one would think this years playbook is the light version of whats to come. Its good to see he is smart and I hope his film study will help him with his vision on the field. His lower body mechanics will come in time with good coaching.

very good and encouraging read from person...

supposedly sunday person goes into more detail.

looking forward to it (esp. considering there isn't much else going on)

I'm pretty sure I saw at least 5 or 6 comments from TheRealDeal under that blog post. :lol:

Am I missing something? Would these receivers from these other teams that he is working out with not get some working knowledge of our playbook to share with their respective coaching staffs with this approach?

Person responded to that question in the comments. He said the receivers weren't privy to the play call itself, just told the specific type of route to run.

First, Cameron has already signed a deal with Under Armour, so I am quite sure he can afford to bring in anyone he though could help him. He does seem to be interested in being around anyone he thinks can help him. And I like that.

Second, I knew he was bright, just did not realize how much so. If he is this close to having the playbook down, that should translate nicely for him to become our starter sooner rather than later. Another preceived negative washed away.

Third, when Cameron releases the ball it is above his head. That is close to 7', should be little problem throwing over the DL. He does have a pretty throwing motion, so I would think that "Tweaking" is the operative word.

Lastly, if he picks up the rest, (blitz packages, reading Defenses, playing under control, and film work,) as quickly, he should be ahead of the curve for rookie QBs. I know he is doing film work at IMG, just wish I knew what else they were working on.

Looks like our Franchise QB is doing just fine. And oh yeah, GOOOOO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!

Also when will people understand that just because you weren't a great player doesn't mean you can't be a good coach. Coach Mark Spear is the App state dline coach and he never played college ball yet he's one of the best coaches at App.

Great point.

Paul Johnson, national champion head coach at Georgia Southern, successful coach at both Navy and Georgia Tech, never played a down of college or NFL ball.

David Cutcliffe, national champion offensive coordinator at Tennessee, successful head coach at Ole Miss, and current head coach at Duke, never played a down of college or NFL ball.

George O'Leary, successful head coach at Georgia Tech and Central Florida, never played a down of college or NFL ball.

Bobby Hauck, successful head coach at Montana and current head coach at UNLV, never played a down of college or NFL ball.

Bill Belichick never played a down in the NFL.

Todd Haley, current head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs (who made the playoffs last year after many years absence) never played a down of college or NFL ball.

Mike Leach, former very successful head coach of the Texas Tech Red Raiders, never played a down of college or NFL ball.

Charlie Weis, former successful offensive coordinator for the Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots, former coach of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and current offensive coordinator for the Florida Gators, never played a down of college or NFL ball.

Chip Kelly, very successful head coach of the Oregon Ducks (who played in the BCS Championship Game last year) never played a down of college or NFL ball.

Those are the ones I could find in 10 minutes of internet research.

Archived