• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DeAngelo Williams stays in Carolina 5 years 43 mil 21 guaranteed

The Saltman

so i guess we are all salary cap gurus who know just how much a player that is loved by fans,players, and owners a like should be getting..

He wasn't getting payed that much in his rookie deal..it's about time he got something for putting up with Deshaun Foster for his first years..The money has to go somewhere people and it should go to guys like this.

Actually calming a bit.

Structure of the deal means a LOT.

Probably more of a 3 year deal.

Keep in mind we are saving a poo ton on rookies b/c of new CBA.

I know this goes against conventional wisdom, but I would actually prefer a contract that is heavily front loaded.

Since all the teams have to basically spend the same $$$ every year, We can use our large amount of cap space vs other teams to front load our core players contract... that means in future years instead of going up, their cap hit will be going down.

Which would give us more cap to work with in future years to sign FA's and compete with other teams. Because it's going to be about managing the cap with teams salaries being close to the same.

On par with MJD's contract. Considering he played for peanuts the previous couple of seasons and is easily a top 5 RB, it's fair.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/deangelo-williams/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/maurice-jones-drew/

EDIT: Also, just think how much SF (Gore) and Tenn (CJ2K) are going to have to pay for their new deals thanks to this deal.

None of those guys have a 24 yr old 1st round stud on the roster with them.

so i guess we are all salary cap gurus who know just how much a player that is loved by fans,players, and owners a like should be getting..

He wasn't getting payed that much in his rookie deal..it's about time he got something for putting up with Deshaun Foster for his first years..The money has to go somewhere people and it should go to guys like this.

you mean instead of to talented players that fill the huge weaknesses on this team?

Who cares though if it is a passing league, let's just trade Smith to see if we can upgrade our #3 RB position. That way no one could argue who has the best backfield.

Reality as in.... Inside Panthro's noodle?

The reality is we just paid MJD money for a guy who will touch the ball 1/2 as much as MJD. He finished 2 seasons on IR. Is 28 years old. I love the guy but I guess being a fan of the Panthers winning should be second fiddle to my favorite players.

I know this goes against conventional wisdom, but I would actually prefer a contract that is heavily front loaded.

Since all the teams have to basically spend the same $$$ every year, We can use our large amount of cap space vs other teams to front load our core players contract... that means in future years instead of going up, their cap hit will be going down.

Which would give us more cap to work with in future years to sign FA's and compete with other teams. Because it's going to be about managing the cap with teams salaries being close to the same.

I would also like a front loaded contract. That way we aren't paying DWill tons of money in his 30's

Archived