• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some turd from SI.com mentioned the Panthers in his "20 bold predictions"

Brokenbad

Hmmm....found "20 questions" for 2010, but no "bold predictions".....clearly, he's routinely off-base.

11. Can Jimmy Clausen make Carolina's second-round investment look like a first-class move?

In time, perhaps, but not initially. For now, any potential Clausen-mania phase in Carolina seems to be a development for another day with Matt Moore firmly entrenched as the team's starter and only quarterback with NFL game experience. Clausen actually finished the offseason workout program as the Panthers' No. 3 QB, behind Moore and first-year man Hunter Cantwell. That doesn't mean much in mid-July, but the expectation is that Clausen will have to overwhelmingly outplay Moore in August to vault over him into the starting role.

Carolina head coach John Fox seems inclined to stick with Moore, who went 4-1 to end last season in place of the now-departed Jake Delhomme, and give Clausen a chance to force the issue at some later point in his rookie year. Early season struggles by Moore would obviously accelerate that timetable --- this is the NFL, after all, and Fox is coaching in the final year of his contract --- but Clausen would have to be lights out to make Carolina get itchy and pull that trigger before losses start to mount.

16. Will Julius Peppers elevate the Bears defense more than Jay Cutler did for the offense last year?

For the second offseason in a row, the Bears went out and landed a franchise-type player whose acquisition created headlines and jacked up Chicago's playoff hopes, not to mention its payroll. But Bears fans have reason to be warier this time around about the difference-maker factor because Chicago with Cutler in 2009 actually fared two games worse (7-9) than it did without him in 2008 (9-7). You can look it up.

Could Peppers use his fresh start in the Windy City to flash the kind of dominating, disruptive play he showed at times during his uneven eight-year career in Carolina? Absolutely. On paper, the Bears' defense is much improved with Peppers at one end, and his mere presence could have a welcome cumulative effect on the rest of Rod Marinelli's defensive line and pass rush. But didn't we say the same thing last year at this time about Albert Haynesworth making the rest of the Redskins' D-line that much better? And like Haynesworth, isn't Peppers a supremely talented player who has been accused of not always bringing the same level of motivation to his work each and every game? I rest my case.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/don_banks_twenty_questions_as_2010_nfl_season_nears/2896102

maybe it's just me, but picking this team to lose early doesn't seem bold.

rookie qb, rookie hc, totally new systems on both sides of the ball, decent sized holes at some key positions, some injury questions/fears/at least uncertainties...

having trouble seeing how picking us to lose a lot of games is bold.

right, but to say we have a legitimate shot at going 0-16? Preposterous!

He will only be 8 weeks off.

Panthers beat the Cards this Sunday.

I hope you are right. I worry that this team hasn't won a road game since 2009 and might not know what it takes. So far in 2 road games we were pretty awful. Then again our last regular season victory was against Arizona in week 15 last year. At home of course.

I hope you are right. I worry that this team hasn't won a road game since 2009 and might not know what it takes. So far in 2 road games we were pretty awful. Then again our last regular season victory was against Arizona in week 15 last year. At home of course.

Steve Smith has made a living making the Cardinals his bitch (except for the one game we don't speak of anymore).

Whether it was that high school stadium they played at in Tempe, in their new dome, or in BofA. Whether Jake was throwing to him or the 70-year old Vinny Testeverde, Smith has been a thorn in the Card's side for years.

It's time for Steve Smith to take over, and it's Cam's turn to light his fire. Panthers win Sunday.

I think you are right. I don't think we win more than 2 of the first 8. But the good news is that the defense and offense will improve over the course of the season so that we will be a lot more competitive in the second half versus the first.

Ive heard this parrotted before but my feeling is that

unfortunatley the majority of the other teams in the NFL will also be a lot more competitive in the second half versus the first and because they also have a shot at the playoffs as well , the have a lot more worth busting their humps for to get there than we do to play spoilers

with injuries I see the 2nd half of the season growing more dismal

Archived