• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So is there any doubt left as to what position our pick will be?

unicar15

I agree we need a new #2 CB, however, until the Panthers improve the D-Line it probably will not matter. In 2003, the Panthers went to the SuperBowl with the starting CB duo of Terry Cousins and Reggie Howard. These two were average CB's...but were effective because of the dominating D-Line of: Peppers, Buckner, Jenkins, and Rucker.

The middle of the current D-Line (DT) is a major weakness of this current team. And it was last year as well. Getting a #2 CB is a need, but fixing the D-Line has to be first.

looking at this draft class in particular, it looks like it is abnormally bad for DTs. the best looking guy who could play DT that i would like is billy winn out of boise st, but he's projecting as a DE. i just don't like this clas of DTs at all for short term or long term. it's just a sucky year for them. the FA class isn't much better, but it is better just because it has guys with experience.

Devon Still. Not saying we should or shouldn't take a DT but Still is a really good player also.

8883326-large.jpg112810msu2.standalone.prod_affiliate.42.jpg

Guest Setfree1012

As big of a need as DB may be, we need depth at LB even more so than anywhere. I feel Beason will be back at 100%, and Anderson will be who he has been. We have to find another weakside linebacker to replace TD. With Gamble, Butler, Hogan, and Munnerlyn (seeing more time at nickel) I'm comfortable waiting another year, or taking a DB in the 3rd or so, I'd like to see a pick in the mold of Gamble (I don't follow college FB closely so I'm not sure what's available).

As far as the DT position is concerned, I'd be willing to bank on a healthy Edwards, an improved duo of McClain and Fua (Rivera already admitted they've hit the rookie wall), and another vet DT.

When it comes to our O-Line, we've been pretty good IMO. The only time I see Cam "having" to run is when teams drop seven into coverage and Smitty is doubled, or the occassion where a blitz pick up is missed. They have performed well especially when considering the original right side of the O-Line is on IR. We just need more depth here, and healthy returns.

My Draft Board- (this will be strictly 1-7, I can't remember if any our picks were traded)

1) LB

2) DB

3) DL (Still need depth)

4) OL

5) LB (Depth)

6) (Best athlete available)

7) (Special Teamer)

I don't really see us picking up any offensive skill positions, when I look at the roster HB-is set with Williams, Stewart, and whoever the 3rd is, WR-Smith, Gettis, LaFell, TE-Shockey, Olsen Barnidge. I would say potentially that 6th pick could suit for the potential selection of a WR.

No. Just look at the Eagles and their MAJORLY upgraded secondary. Teams are actually gaining more yards per pass than they did last year and this isn't counting the game today. Their defense is also allowing more yards per run attempt this year too.

The gaping hole you speak of, it starts and ends at defensive tackle.

yup

The game is won in the trenches

We have ammunition and weapons...but need to fortify the trenches and shields

I think Carolina is trading down regardless, unless they want Matt Kalil. Plenty of DT's can be had around pick 10-15.

Talk of trading down is discussed every year as a possibility (though not many if I recall expected the whole Beason scenario in the 1st) but this year is prime for us to do a much similar thing.

And hopefully we'll take advantage of having guys like Cam and Beason on our team for FA appeal. Next year is important as hell imo and if done right we could finally be NFCS contenders again.

As big of a need as DB may be, we need depth at LB even more so than anywhere. I feel Beason will be back at 100%, and Anderson will be who he has been. We have to find another weakside linebacker to replace TD. With Gamble, Butler, Hogan, and Munnerlyn (seeing more time at nickel) I'm comfortable waiting another year, or taking a DB in the 3rd or so, I'd like to see a pick in the mold of Gamble (I don't follow college FB closely so I'm not sure what's available).

As far as the DT position is concerned, I'd be willing to bank on a healthy Edwards, an improved duo of McClain and Fua (Rivera already admitted they've hit the rookie wall), and another vet DT.

When it comes to our O-Line, we've been pretty good IMO. The only time I see Cam "having" to run is when teams drop seven into coverage and Smitty is doubled, or the occassion where a blitz pick up is missed. They have performed well especially when considering the original right side of the O-Line is on IR. We just need more depth here, and healthy returns.

My Draft Board- (this will be strictly 1-7, I can't remember if any our picks were traded)

1) LB

2) DB

3) DL (Still need depth)

4) OL

5) LB (Depth)

6) (Best athlete available)

7) (Special Teamer)

I don't really see us picking up any offensive skill positions, when I look at the roster HB-is set with Williams, Stewart, and whoever the 3rd is, WR-Smith, Gettis, LaFell, TE-Shockey, Olsen Barnidge. I would say potentially that 6th pick could suit for the potential selection of a WR.

Having the best LB core in the league does not win you games (in the 43).

If we pick LB with one of the top 7 picks, I will totally flip my poo.

The CB from Alabama is just as good.

I think if we get #1 we will trade just because we will get tons for it

I just dont see the colts winning 4 games but if they did it would be awesome for us. I see us sitting at 2 or 3 and in that spot we either find a team willing to trade some high value picks for trading up or pick up Kalil. No need to wast a 1st round pick on a CB this year.

We still haven't seen enough of Butler to say we need another corner. Rivera got to wise up and start this cat, see what he can really do with a full load of being a starting corner. With that said, this draft is full of corners that have potential. We can always pick up a guy in the 3rd or 4th round.

imo we need to draft blackmon, then spend every other single pick on a front 7 for the defence.

a lot of people think were "loaded" at wr...in all honesty we have average at best recievers outside of smitty. If we draft blackmon thats 2 guys that will be open on every play and u wont see cam running for his life every down.

imo we need to draft blackmon, then spend every other single pick on a front 7 for the defence.

a lot of people think were "loaded" at wr...in all honesty we have average at best recievers outside of smitty. If we draft blackmon thats 2 guys that will be open on every play and u wont see cam running for his life every down.

Yep totally avg WRs that just so happen to put up 20+ points a game. Most teams would kill to have the talent we have at WR.

IDT we are taking a DT with our first pick unless we trade back to accumulate more picks and can be assured getting a CB with our pick in the 30s. We JUST PICKED Fua and McClain and while those guys aren't great this year I'm sure that the staff has confidence in years to come while pairing them with a guy like Ron Edwards.

Ideal scenario for me would be to trade back and get Kirkpatrick and either the huge NT from UW or possibly Courtney Upshaw from Alabama. CB HAS to be addressed with a top pick this year though because I really think that Ron Edwards and Jon Beason returning is going to instantly upgrade our run defense.

Archived