• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brockers

I am confused as to why so many people on here want Brockers. There isn't that much on him out there. There is a lot of hearsay going on about his potential and that he is big and stuff. I haven't seen it. Every time I have seen him play he is rarely close to the play and gets handled pretty easily by offensive linemen.

We don't have the luxury of being able to take a chance on a raw player that has potential to become good. We need someone that is ready to play now.

If we go DT in the first, we have to go Devon Still. He is like 6'5 315 and is very fast and powerful. He is being double teamed every play and it doesn't phase him at all. He had at least one tackle in the backfield every game. He is a complete run stuffer. Can drag a runner down with one hand. He can also get off the block and get to the QB in a hurry. He is huge and a beast, and just what we need in the middle of the D-line. He, Ron Edwards, and Charles Johnson will be a pretty solid line.

Then in the 2nd hopefully we could get Vinny Curry to start at the other end that Hardy isn't on. Hardy isn't very good.

Or go CB in the second. Because that is a huge need.

Just my thoughts.

Devon still although the safer pick has a much lower celing than Brockers. What you see is pretty much what you get. Also has injury concerns. Brockers on the other hand has huge upside. Like Haynesworth type upside without the drama. Brockers handles double teams fairly well. His run defense is actually his best attribute. He is also relentless and gives good effort every down. Still seems to take a few plays off every now and then.

People keep saying Still has a ceiling and can't improve much more...I'd just ask for an explanation. What is permitting him from getting better?

I'm concerned with Still's injury problems but I'd like someone to actually explain this whole ceiling thing.

So the reason he doesn't like brockers is he doesn't know a lot about him.

not supporting his stance but its right there

Every time I have seen him play he is rarely close to the play and gets handled pretty easily by offensive linemen.

Brockers had a great season but imo Fletcher Cox had an even better one and he's additionally a ST kick-block stud. The issue is that because Brockers declared so early, its hard to truly grasp his potential regardless of his size or whatever. When you have more years to look at, you get a better idea about how consistent a player is and with Still's resume you can see the injury issues, leadership skills, and his other weaknesses and strengths. With Brockers its simply not as clear cut.

Brockers is still young at the DT position and can also block FGs. as far as Still goes with the ceiling, is you cant teach an old dog new tricks. what you see from him is what you are going to get.while you can still mold Brockers into what you want him to be. plus injuries with Still should be a warning. im a fan of Cox as well and he is a 3 year starter, and have been since coming in as a freshman.

so in all, Brockers has a lot of potential while still growing in a new position and body. he was recruited to play DE at LSU.

biggest things for me with still is that the only thing that really seemed to improve was his motor this year...his contract year. before then it was legitimately questioned every year.

also, he has a bit of an injury history that i don't like.

from what i have seen he also gets worn down quite a bit during the course of the game. by mid 3rd quarter the guy really seems exhausted.

now for brockers...it's been discussed in quite a few threads. in fact this whole discussion has.

should i bump up the threads again like i did for that guy last week who did the same thing?

it's the new dead horse discussion.

Still is a long-term starter at one position. His production has been pretty steady, so there's no reason to expect any sort of explosive growth once he gets drafted and coached up. That's the ceiling issue. You just can't watch his game and see a reason that he's going to get much better.

Brockers' ceiling is much higher because his body and production levels have exploded recently, and he still isn't developed. Three years ago he was a 255 pound redshirt linebacker. Teams saw the growth that he achieved in that time period and look ahead to see if it could happen again. He is relatively inexperienced at the position, and his body is still growing. Those things indicate a higher ceiling.

Brockers also lacks the injury concerns that Still has. A defensive tackle with bad knees and ankles is going to be a defensive tackle with a short career. Remember Kris Jenkins? Anybody want to go through that experiment again? I don't understand why Still is being labeled as a 'safe' pick. A safe pick to me is a guy who's going to start for 10 year, like the Pouncey brothers or Julius Peppers. Still's injuries don't even make that prediction possible.

Bottom line: They're both dominant players now. One has injury concerns and won't get much better. One is still adding to his already superior physical skill set. I think that the choice is pretty easy when you look at it that way.

I am confused as to why so many people on here want Brockers. There isn't that much on him out there. There is a lot of hearsay going on about his potential and that he is big and stuff. I haven't seen it. Every time I have seen him play he is rarely close to the play and gets handled pretty easily by offensive linemen.

:eek: Of all the videos I've watched on him he man-handles single blockers 90% of the time (which isn't often because he's often double and triple teamed) and even bull rushes double teams into the backfield often. Just about the only time he's not in the backfield is either they got 3 blockers on him, or he's playing too high intending to bat the pass down. When he gets low he doesn't get pushed back, even with 3 blockers. My only real gripe is on passing plays he doesn't bother getting low, he just tries to hold his ground to get his hands up.

Archived