• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mayock hits all the Huddle sore spots; Luck vs. Newton, AJ, and Coples

teeray

Short article hit all the sore spots for this forum.

Basically Luck > Newton. Newton still has work ethic questions.

Alshon Jeffery needs to run fast at the combine and/or pro day and Coples doesn't play hard.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/02/16/3016598/draft-analyst-still-would-take.html

Even after Cam Newton's record-setting rookie season, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock says he'd still take Andrew Luck over the Panthers' quarterback if the two were in the same draft.

During a conference call with reporters Wednesday, Mayock initially balked at comparing Luck to the last three No. 1 picks - Newton, Sam Bradford and Matthew Stafford - and to Matt Ryan, who went third overall in 2008.

Mayock then said Luck is close to Peyton Manning in terms of ability, adding he would draft Luck over the player who broke Manning's rookie passing record.

"I would probably take him over Cam, yeah," Mayock said.

Luck, the presumptive No. 1 pick of the Indianapolis Colts, has been called (by Mel Kiper Jr.) the most-complete quarterback prospect since John Elway, and might have been the Panthers' pick had he entered the draft after his redshirt sophomore season.

Instead, the Panthers selected Newton, who broke Manning's record with 4,051 yards and finished with more rushing touchdowns (14) than any quarterback in league history. Though Mayock had Blaine Gabbert ranked ahead of Newton for much of the pre-draft process, he said Newton had a "mind-boggling" rookie season.

"And they will continue to build around him," Mayock said. "The question is how well will NFL defenses adapt to what Carolina did a year ago and will Cam Newton continue to work as hard as he needs to to stay ahead of that curve?"

Mayock, who will lead the NFL Network's combine coverage beginning Feb. 23, had interesting takes on a couple of prospects from the Carolinas. Mayock said:

South Carolina wideout Alshon Jeffery is not among his top four wideouts and could fall on draft boards if he does not run a 4.5 or better in the 40.

"If you start seeing 4.6, 4.65, it's going to be a problem," Mayock said of the 6-4, 229-pound Jeffery, whose weight could be an issue.

"Let's put it this way - big and fast is good; big and slow is bad," Mayock said. "If he comes in at 235 and runs well, nobody's going to say a word. But the bottom line at either the combine or the pro day he has got to run well."

He is not a fan of North Carolina defensive end and top-10 prospect Quinton Coples, who did not play well until late last season.

"He looks the part. He's pretty. He's got all kinds of ability and he's going to remind a lot of people of Julius Peppers," Mayock said. "That all sounds pretty good. But I'd be scared to death. He did not play well or hard as a senior."

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/02/16/3016598/draft-analyst-still-would-take.html#storylink=cpy

and will Cam Newton continue to work as hard as he needs to to stay ahead of that curve?

this is fuging stupid

before cam suits up for his first game it's "does cam have the work ethic to succeed" and now that he spent a season proving that he does in fact have the work ethic to succeed, the question is now "will he continue to have the work ethic to succeed?"

i hope mayock asks the same about andrew luck if he comes into the league and has a newton-esque season but for some reason i don't think that's going to happen

and if luck has a godawful season it will be interesting to see if we hear any work ethic criticisms (hint: we won't)

"I would probably take him over Cam, yeah," Mayock said.

lol

Is cam still black? Ok there are still work ethic questions. Is Luck still white and the next combo of elway/Marino/Montana rolled into one? Ok then the analysts will take him over a lazy black guy who relied simply on athletic ability to combine for 35 touchdowns and throw for over 4,000 yards in his rookie season. fug this noise.

this is fuging stupid

before cam suits up for his first game it's "does cam have the work ethic to succeed" and now that he spent a season proving that he does in fact have the work ethic to succeed, the question is now "will he continue to have the work ethic to succeed?"

i hope mayock asks the same about andrew luck if he comes into the league and has a newton-esque season but for some reason i don't think that's going to happen

and if luck has a godawful season it will be interesting to see if we hear any work ethic criticisms (hint: we won't)

lol

Yeah, I'm sure that has nothing to do with skin color

/sarcasm

Is cam still black? Ok there are still work ethic questions. Is Luck still white and the next combo of elway/Marino/Montana rolled into one? Ok then the analysts will take him over a lazy black guy who relied simply on athletic ability to combine for 35 touchdowns and throw for over 4,000 yards in his rookie season. fug this noise.

Exactly, I'm still trying to figure out where this work ethic thing came from? There were plenty of valid criticisms, but work ethic? really? The kid looks like he's chiseled out of stone... he used to spend his weekends working out while his teammates when clubbing in Atlanta... etc, etc.

I like Mayock, but I'm afraid I know what his biggest problem with Cam is... and I'm not sure he even realizes he carries this bias.

...and this is important to remember: Mayock is a Philly guy, remember how Philly reacted when they drafted a black QB?

I'm not saying Mayock wakes up in the morning and sets out to be a racist, a lot of these stereotypes are programmed into guys Mayock's age and they're not even aware that they're applying them to people.

It's fine to say you would take Luck over Cam... I disagree based on knowing what we know now, but Mike's entitled to his opinion. What I don't understand why he goes right to questioning Cam's work ethic (again)?

well, to be fair, to say Mayock is a Philly guy and Philly reacted negatively when McNabb was drafted therefore Mayock must be a closet racist is the same thing as saying Cam is lazy because he's black...

not that I'm giving any credence to Mayock's belief...or have any desire to defend people from Philly...

Archived