• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How bad can Goodell punish Saints?

pdandy1994

It has to be more than a 1st. The Patriots lost a first for cheating off the field, this is way, way worse. You have to take multiple 1sts at a minimum, with fines and suspensions. The organization should have to pay a ton of fines, and take it away from their cap too. A TON of fines, I'm talking millions. As much as the players they tried to hurt could have lost over their career for these dirty hits. And yes, if you really want to hurt them, take that franchise tag away, but I don't see that happening.

The way the NFL has been on top of things for protecting players, watching for concussions, etc, this is way worse than any of that. The NFL HAS to make a huge deal out of it, if not, all their work over the last few years is worthless in regards to player safety.

Interesting read from Yas

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/31814/saints-penalties-could-be-severe

If it’s all true -- the Saints were out to harm others and top team officials did nothing to stop it -- I’d look for Goodell to throw the book at the Saints. In the league office this isn’t a beloved franchise like the Steelers, Giants or Packers. The Saints have angered some important people in recent years.

Around the league they’re viewed by many as arrogant, and a lot of people think the Saints play by their own rules.

Most NFL writers are expecting that the players be suspended one game, the team fined 3.5 million dollars, 2nd and 3rd round picks this year and maybe next year's first, as well as suspensions for the NO front office and the 250k fines for Williams, Payton and Loomis. Might actually see Williams get suspended 1-2 games as well with out pay.

Archived