• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Years Of Marty Hurney

unicar15

I don't buy the running backs and linebackers thing. Yes he's picked 3 linebackers and 2 running backs in the first round over these 15 years. But isnt it possible that he made those picks because those were the available players most able to help the team? They have all been good productive players. You might say he should have drafted a CB instead of Beason, or a WR instead of Stewart, but what if there werent any good players available at those positions? You want a mediocre DB instead of a great LB?

personally so long as he's drafting great players i don't really care. and yes i'd much rather have a monster LB than a reach at DL or DB.

I don't buy the running backs and linebackers thing. Yes he's picked 3 linebackers and 2 running backs in the first round over these 15 years. But isnt it possible that he made those picks because those were the available players most able to help the team? They have all been good productive players. You might say he should have drafted a CB instead of Beason, or a WR instead of Stewart, but what if there werent any good players available at those positions? You want a mediocre DB instead of a great LB?

It's been proven time and time again that a great running game, and great linebacking (43) core do not equal consistent success in today's NFL. No reason to argue this.

Marty hasn't been with the team for 15 years. He has not only spent half of his 1st rounders on LB's and RB's, he has also signed Beason to the largest ILB contract in the NFL. Has extended Davis with a pretty big contract after 2 ACL's. Has extended Anderson. Extended Morgan after never playing a full season. Signed DWill to a top 5 RB salary to be a back up. And brought in another RB in Tolbert.

It's a little ridiculous.

Pretty sure Richardson said last year they cut all the vets in the uncapped year to force Fox to not start them and develop the young talent, sorry if Hurney didn't want to have a all rookie team before that to force his coach to play them.

By the way, the Redskins are a joke, when's the last time you guys even won a playoff game or did anything besides suck. Your organization needs moved to LA to get rid of your moron of a owner.

I think it's interesting you started this thread. Right before we let Delhomme go, Hurney went on WFNZ when Pacman was still there. A lot of us fans were kinda pissed off about where the team was headed. Hurney took questions on the air from the fans......that took balls. I was one of the fans fortunate enough to get to ask Mr. Hurney a question.

I've developed a lot of respect for the guy. He's a top notch strategist and very competitive, yet he's humble enough to answer my question sincerely and wish me well. I can see the guy wears the stress of the job on his face sometimes, but I think the challenge grows his commitment and ultimately while no ones perfect I think he does a heck of a job.

In retrospect when I had the opportunity to ask him that question I sort of wish I had asked him for knowledge on how to get where I want to be....not football. He was able to take a journalism job and eventually parlay that in an NFL GM position. That's quite an accomplishment.

In conclusion.....aside from the Delhomme contract and a couple of things here and there...we are very lucky as an organization to have some of the most talented and classy people in the league running our FO.

Thanks Hurney.

Where are you getting 15 years from? The guy has been the GM since 2002. In that time half of his first round picks have been LB an RB. The other picks have been Brown, Gross, Otah, Gamble, Peppers, and Newton. Nobody is saying the guy cant hit in the first but IMO that doesn't make you a good GM...it just makes you a terrible one if you can't do that.

yeah he was a pro bowler in 2005. hardly a bust.

The guy was signed to the richest interior lineman contract ever and played 3 seasons! How is that a solid investment? He failed a physical for the Seahawks and then we signed him if I remember correctly. Didnt he play on the line with Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson? If that was the case then he's going to look good..probably better than he actually was.

You guys are pretty lenient on a GM of a team that has had 3 really good seasons in his 10 year tenure.

Hurney is a coaches GM. I think that is why he is kept around. Not all are.

Fox got who he wanted. Rivera is getting the same.

Fox was told to win or go. Foxball isn't going to win consistantly.....and that is something Fox settled into

The guy was signed to the richest interior lineman contract ever and played 3 seasons! How is that a solid investment? He failed a physical for the Seahawks and then we signed him if I remember correctly. Didnt he play on the line with Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson? If that was the case then he's going to look good..probably better than he actually was.

You guys are pretty lenient on a GM of a team that has had 3 really good seasons in his 10 year tenure.

guy gets a big contract and makes a pro bowl then declines. that's not a spectacular acquisition but it's not horrible and i wouldn't classify it as an FA bust but whatever.

as for the physical, he failed that after we released him. he came to the panthers from green bay originally, not seattle.

seattle would go on to give him a five year contract that he only started ten games on. that's a bust.

The problem for me with these kind of threads is lack of objectivity and totally biased subjective evaluations.You start off with the record and a few facts but the rest of it is totally opinion and supposition with little fact to back it up.

For example Hurney did everything he could to keep Peppers including being willing to pay whatever it took. Peppers did not want to be here and left for personal reasons not football ones. I have my theory but will keep it to myself. Just 1 of a dozen inaccuracies which renders the post useless to me.

average GM, average results.

I'd like to get an elite guy that can build a perennial contender. a team that'll be in the hunt for a championship year in and year out.

not someone who hovers around .500 overall and maybe sneaks into the playoffs every few years but is a longshot to win it all.

that's just me though, if .500 is more than acceptable to the rest of this fanbase then more power to you.

So you think Hurney is an average GM, and you think there's an above average GM somewhere sitting around waiting for the the Panthers to call him? Who is this guy? Why haven't other teams hired this great unemployed GM? How do we know he won't turn out to be below average?

Archived