• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Against the Falcons... run, run, run some more....

Zod

As far as I can tell, our only hope for a win in Atlanta this week will be delivered on the ground. Atlanta is currently ranked 8th in pass defense, but 24th in run defense.

In week 1 against Kansas City, Jamaal Charles had 16 carries for 87 yards or 5.4 yards per carry. Shaun Draughn had 6 carries for 29 yards, 4.8 a carry.

Week 2 against Denver, Willis McGahee ran 22 times for 113 yards or 5.1 a carry.

Against the Chargers, Ryan Matthews ran for 4.4 yards per carry. Jackie Battle carried only 3 times but racked up 55 yards or 18.3 yards per carry.

The Falcons have not been able to keep a running back under 4.4 yards per carry so far this season.

How the Panthers win this game...

1. Get healthy. The Panthers will need Jonathan Stewart back in the lineup. Toe injuries are no joke and could keep him out on Sunday. Lets hope not.

2. Do not abandon the run. The Falcons can score. Teams have gotten in trouble against them by turning the ball over, falling behind early, and abandoning the run. The Falcons are 8th against the pass defensively and have an effective blitzing defense. Abandoning the run early, as the Panthers are known to do, will result in a loss, guaranteed.

3. Back to basics. Teams have been successful running the ball against the Falcons in pro sets. Their defense is built for speed and pass rush. Getting cute on draw plays and gimmicks trying to get to the edge only plays into their hands. They have the sideline to sideline speed needed to stop the draw. Punching them up the gut with J-Stew is the better option.

4. Run Cam Run. Instead of waiting in the pocket for a 15+ yard pass to open up and risking a sack. spend some time picking up a few running yards and sliding. The Falcons love bringing the pressure and blitzing their linebackers. This leaves the middle of the field fairly open for a few steps by our QB and a quick slide. A few of those, and the Falcons will be more hesitant to keep blitzing.

In short, if the Panthers will commit to what the bulk of their offensive salary cap is geared towards, running, they have a shot. If in the first quarter we see draws and slow developing 15+ passing plays, the game is already lost.

Agree 100%, we got to run the ball... we've got three capable backs and the best running QB in the league.

Stop with all the gadget plays, don't be cute... line Tolbert up and run it down their throats. Design some one read pass plays for Cam, where if the receiver is covered, run. The option read is fine... once in a while, don't run it every play.

Mike Nolan likes to play his defense to specific gameplans. For the Broncos and Chargers the defense was in base 4-2-5 defense with never more than 2 LBers on the field. Thats why teams seemed to get good rushing yards on us. However, against the panthers i'm fairly certain there will be more base 4-3 defense to account for newton's mobility as well as the rushing attack.

I agree with you completely, but i also think that it is just as much, if not more important how the defense plays. It doesn't matter how well we run the ball or how many yards a carry we have, if we keep playing this weak azz zone defense and give their recievers a 20 yard cushion, it's gonna be a long day with bad results. Bottom line... Stop the gimmicks and protect Cam on offense, and Man up on defense and play like you have some balls. We have 10 days to prepare for Atlanta after being humiliated on national television, our players should be hungry, and anything less than an excellent gameplan should result in somebody's job!! I think we have the talent to keep it close or possibly win, but after that clusterfug on Thurs, i'm not picking us to win another game this season.

I think we need to be able to stop Julio Jones and Roddy White, because honestly, if Ramses Barden did what he did against us last Thursday, either one of those guys are going to shred us. Need to be physical at the line of scrimmage, chuck guys off their routes, chip Tony as he comes off the line.

< Chud enters the room>

"Great idea guys. These guys look to have trouble with the ole ground and pound. Let's run it. But hear me out first, they have to know its coming, am I right? First play of the game we give a wildcat look.....they will hate to see that. Then we motion Cam back in, he hands it off BUT WAIT....it's a flea flicker. Cam then tosses the ball back to Stewart who fakes a HB throw then laterals it back to Cam. Cam then pretends he is going to check down but that too is a fake. While all this is going down Smith will be running a triple move down field for an easy TD. Sportscenter will eat this poo up"......"Wait, what? The OL didn't pass protect for that? Those guys suck".

Archived