• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Hurney interview on WFNZ @ 8:45a

Johnny Rockets

Overall I think Hurney is a good GM... sure we've missed big on some 2nd and 3rd round picks, but his track record in the 1st round is excellent.

I understand and agree with the philosophy of building through the draft, but the key word is "building". We're not only building through the draft, we're depending on mid-to-late round draft picks to start and contribute right away at key positions.

Josh Norman is the most recent example of this, he's clearly not ready to be in a starting role and it's not fair to expect a 5th round pick from a D2 program to be able to start in the NFL right away. The guy he beat for the job was drafted in the 7th round (IIRC) and thrown to the wolves in a starting role.

I understand Ken Lucas didn't work out so well, but we went too far in the other direction. We should be building through the draft and acquiring vet FA talent to buy us some time while our drafted talent develops. We're doing this at the DT position (not by choice, but by desperation). Guys like Ron and Dwan Edwards of perfect examples of reasonably priced vet FA's who can buy us time while we develop our drafted players... we need to find some guys like this for the secondary. Nakamura doesn't count, he was a career backup and we honestly had no idea what we were getting @ FS when we signed him, both Ron and Dwan were established contributors at their position.

Under the current system, we're in constant rebuilding mode... always depending on the development of rookies at key positions. How many years of Cam's career will we waste while we fumble around trying to get rookies to contribute at key positions?

How can you be a good GM with the win loss record he has put together? That is totally on him.He is one of the worst GM's in the NFL.At the end of the day its not about building through the draft or any of that BS it is about winning and giving value to the fans.Its about being consistent. Hell we have the worst record in the NFL for putting together winning seasons.If you cannot put two winning seasons together find another career

How can you be a good GM with the win loss record he has put together? That is totally on him.He is one of the worst GM's in the NFL.At the end of the day its not about building through the draft or any of that BS it is about winning and giving value to the fans.Its about being consistent. Hell we have the worst record in the NFL for putting together winning seasons.If you cannot put two winning seasons together find another career

So the coaching staff has no responsibility for our W/L record?

Hurney buys the groceries, the coaching staff cooks the meal... if the meal is bad, some of the blame has to fall on the cook.

Hurney is at fault, but it's not his fault alone.

It was the most emotional interview I have ever heard from him.On one hand he stated he was accountable but seemed defensive with each specific question that was ask of him.I would have like to have heard him take accountability on the talent he has or in his case has not assembled to be a team in contention for a playoff spot.He appeared as he did not know where he has gone wrong or what he was going to do to fix it.I get the feeling unless we have a major turnaround this season he will be gone.

I don't think him taking the blame but still being defensive is that unusual.. He made decisions he thought was right, successful or not. We as fans get to point the finger but any one of us would still try to make sense to everyone why we did what we did, despite any negative results..

You know how long I have defended him.

But the past few years have just been too much.

2009 draft.

2010 draft

2010 spending spree

2011 draft (minus Cam)

2011 ignoring of needs

I understand building through the draft, hell I am all for it.

But that doesn't mean you ignore Free Agency.

It doesn't mean you overpay your guys.

*sigh*

I feel like I am the last rat jumping off a sinking ship...

The whole "build through the draft" thing is a bit of a myth. I mean every single team gets some of their best "core" players through the draft. Even the Redskins, the front office punchline of this forum for years have created a core partially composed of Orakpo, Kerrigan, RGIII (obviously), Trent Williams. None of those players were acquired through free agency.

But there are GMs that understand that the draft is way too limited an outlet to build a superior team by itself. By the end of the 2nd round, most of the guys with solid potential to be bona fide NFL starters are gone. The only players left are players from small schools, players with limited skill sets, players that just aren't very good athletes, players that don't project to any real position, special teams aces that can't contribute on offense or defense, etc. Yes sometimes very solid guys slip through the cracks but those are exceptions.

Hurney's got this vision of never needing to draw up a contract for an outside player and it's almost like he'd rather waste his time frivolously trying to force this to work when he simply could be doing what better GMs do: balance your roster, and improve the most critical positions for success in this league, especially if they need help. If you need to sign a good player that's leaving another team, then do it.

So the coaching staff has no responsibility for our W/L record?

Hurney buys the groceries, the coaching staff cooks the meal... if the meal is bad, some of the blame has to fall on the cook.

Hurney is at fault, but it's not his fault alone.

...can't bake a pie when one of the few ingredients you have is shyt...

The whole "build through the draft" thing is a bit of a myth. I mean every single team gets some of their best "core" players through the draft. Even the Redskins, the front office punchline of this forum for years have created a core partially composed of Orakpo, Kerrigan, RGIII (obviously), Trent Williams. None of those players were acquired through free agency.

But there are GMs that understand that the draft is way too limited an outlet to build a superior team by itself. By the end of the 2nd round, most of the guys with solid potential to be bona fide NFL starters are gone. The only players left are players from small schools, players with limited skill sets, players that just aren't very good athletes, players that don't project to any real position, special teams aces that can't contribute on offense or defense, etc. Yes sometimes very solid guys slip through the cracks but those are exceptions.

Hurney's got this vision of never needing to draw up a contract for an outside player and it's almost like he'd rather waste his time frivolously trying to force this to work when he simply could be doing what better GMs do: balance your roster, and improve the most critical positions for success in this league, especially if they need help. If you need to sign a good player that's leaving another team, then do it.

true.

i believe we would be much better off filling needs with FAs or via trade (giving up 3rd-7th round picks preferably) and then drafting BPAs.

Our starting CBs Sunday will be a 5th and 7th rounder.....and we have a first round pick in Cam running, a first pick in Williams occasionally running, and a first round pick in Stewart occasionally running.

Yea you cant draft a 5th round cb from a small school and think we are ok at cb. His weakness in recognizing and evaluating talent is amazing.On one hand Josh was a great 5th round draft pick but thinking he can come in and start is stupidity.I am convinced he just does not get the whole picture.He consistly misses on getting the talent necessary to be conpetetive

Archived