• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DeAngelo Williams Trade Talks

Way Truth Life

I'm also not sure why any contender would trade for DeAngelo with his current cap number?

If good HB's are a dime a dozen, wouldn't you go looking for someone much cheaper?

They would only be on the hook for the remainder of the season. After this year his guaranteed money is spent and they can either force him to restructure or cut his ass with no cap penalty.

Of Williams’ $5.25 million base salary in 2012, $5 million is fully guaranteed. After this season, none of the remaining money is guaranteed.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract, Williams is due to earn $4.75 million in base salary in 2013, $5.75 million in 2014, and $6.75 million in 2015.

A trade before June 1 of 2013 would result in a $9.6 million cap acceleration for the Panthers; after June 1, Williams would cost $3.2 million against the cap in 2013 and $6.4 million in 2013. A trade before Tuesday would result in the entire $9.6 million hitting the cap in 2012. (As of early September, the Panthers had only $5.3 million in cap space.)

so would JR be willing to take that cap hit in order to trade Deangelo for another player that could help this team now? WR? CB? Or give the new GM as many picks as he can?

So considering the salary reduction for this year, we'd have to take a net hit of approximately $7 million. I'd like to see a report on what our cap space was after the Dwan Edwards signing, as he cost us $4 million.

If we only have to clear maybe $3 million, they might be able to do it. If it's much more than that, it's going to be real tough, especially without a GM.

If it's doable and they could find a partner, I'd be all for it just to get one of the bad contracts off the books. The odds of it actually happening though are probably no better than 20%.

we have great runners. we just have too many of them. I don't want to cut any of them loose but somebody has to go and Deangelo is the best candidate for trading based on draw for more in return, his age on our roster, his hit to our salary cap.

it's simple math and he is probably my favorite person (and sometimes player) on the offense.

from rotoworld...

The Charlotte Observer suspects DeAngelo Williams' days in Charlotte are numbered, "if not by Tuesday's trade deadline, then during the offseason."

"Jonathan Stewart is now the featured back," confirms beat writer Joe Person. Stewart's Dynasty owners finally rejoice. It's telling that Williams was demoted as the Panthers overhauled their running scheme and fired the GM that handed him a ridiculous $43 million contract. Earning a prorated $5.25 million, Williams can be had for a song at the deadline. The Packers make sense as a landing spot, but it's not like GM Ted Thompson to part with draft picks. If Williams isn't moved, it seems the Panthers will cut him and swallow the $8 million cap hit in the offseason.

Archived