• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A couple questions about some of the reffereeing yesterday

teeray

First off, I am not blaming the refs for our loss. Just a couple of things confused me and I am hoping someone can shed some light on a couple things.

I have had a little trouble finding out the answer to two questions:

1) How do you pick up a flag for holding?? That seems like something that isn't really up for interpretation. Either someone held or they didn't. I guess my question is, is there a way that a hold suddenly becomes not a hold?

2) When Martin fumbled in the end zone shouldn't have Tampa had to challenge that?? The new rule, as I understand it, is that all scoring plays are reviewed by the officials. However, on that play it wasn't a scoring play. It was a fumble that was recovered by Carolina for a touchback. So my question is, shouldn't have Tampa had to throw the red flag in order to review that play, and since the play was upheld shouldn't they have lost a timeout??

Can someone explain these to me? Am I missing something that I should know about?

I had the same question about the holding penalty that was picked up. I can come up with no justification as to why you pick that up.

If you saw it, you saw it... and I'm pretty sure that it was the referee that threw that flag, not the back or side judge...

Overall the officiating has been poor this season and not just in our opponents favor, and not just in our games...

I believe that the Martin play was in fact a TD and the official got it wrong, but there wasn't enough video evidence to change it. idk why it was reviewed... did Tampa not throw the red flag?

I told my Dad as we were sitting in the stadium. Had Doug Martin's run gone for 2 yards, the hold would have been enforced. The fact that he broke it off for 20+, gave the officials a reason to put the flag back in thier pockets.

To be fair though, we very much recouped that penalty with the fumble that wasn't in the end zone.

I never got to see the holding but I actually like that they chat about it and get it right. The refs make pretty split decision calls and sometimes the flag simply comes out and it should not have.

Holding is not binary by the way. There is some degree of holding on practically every play. It's judgment of the refs often. Kind of like pass interference. Plenty of times where it could go either way.

A good example of a holding call that would get waved off would be a case where a player falls down while being actively blocked. From one angle it could appear that he was pulled down while another might reveal that the O-Linemen didn't do anything wrong, the Def player just fell.

In our case it looked more like our guy was hamming it up a bit to make a borderline block look like a hold. What I saw on the replay would have been a pretty ticky-tak holding call.

Archived