• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Less is more is a bunch of bull....

Udogg

Hearing this less is more talk from Rivera is pissing me off. To me it's trying to deflect the blame onto Cam. Why couldn't they have "reduced" the load on Cam early in the year? As a coach did it take you 10 games to put this together? Seems like the less we run the read option the better we perform as an offense.

Top it off all the announcers/commentators started to run with it. It's not defense's giving up points like a sieve in the 4th quarter. It's not bad clock management, clueless situational awareness, ass backwards play calling at the end of the game. NOOOOO it's Cam Newton has too much on his plate?

The only person on the team that always takes the blame is Cam. Smitty blames other people, CJ blamses other people. It's crazy. I am hugely disappointed in the team leadership that Rivera is showing. Also let me state, I do believe Cam has played poorly in certain situations, however we all have seen how coaching has sabotaged our season.

Uh....you're wrong. This isn't about deflecting blame. Cam looked MUCH better today than he has all season. We got back to better playcalls because we weren't utilizing plays that he simply isn't comfortable with yet. We ran the plays he's comfortable running. It's not that he can never run those plays, it's just that he can't right now. His development isn't there yet. They have to slowly introduce new plays and concepts into his repertoire. Not because he's stupid, but because he's been thinking too much. Football is about reactions. The plays we ran tonight are more or less plays that he can run in his sleep. They're the plays we ran last season. The plays he has repped 1000 times. And they'll keep adding plays and concepts slowly, and eventually, the whole playbook will be him reacting and executing rather than thinking. A cluttered mind equals a slow body.

Sure, the clock management and whatnot has killed us. The fact remains that we were able to get points when we needed to because we simplified our playbook and ran what Cam can run right now, not what they want him to run in the future.

I don't think it's ever been about "putting too much on his plate". It wasn't that he couldn't figure out the read option, it's that it was shitty playcalling. Our team isn't built for that, primarily our O-line isn't designed to hold long enough for the read option to work with regularity. There wasn't "too much on Cam's plate", it's that Cam's plate had steaming piles of dog poo on it.

I'm with those that think this was typical blame deflection by Rivera. They "simplified" things by cutting back on the read options and the double reverse statue of liberty super duper fool 'em plays. They should have done this week 2, not week 12.

I've had about all of Rivera and Chud I can take.

I'd rather have only 50 plays in the playbook that you can effectively run and execute rather than 500 pages of crap.

KISS, it's a cliche for a reason.

the thing i've been noticing this year is that they have been running a very limited offense, that they simplified it from last year...at least it seems that way to me. they have been running just a small portion of the playbook. the problem is that we haven't done what i bolded in your post. they made it simple, but it wasn't being run effectively. i have no problem with KISS, but when your simple selection just isn't working, find another simple selection of plays to focus on.

other than just not being able to close out most games, that has been the team's biggest downfall this year. they aren't running what works, they are running what chud wants to run. those two things aren't in sync.

they have moments, though, when they change what they have been doing and it's really effective, but then they fall right back into their exercises in futility and i'm convinced that it's because chud isn't paying attention to what's happening on the field.

I love how we gash defenses for chunks of yards and first downs....and then the next two drives we stall out because we get cute with trickery...

It's the NFL Chud....it's about lining up and simply beating the other guy sometimes...not fooling him with read option....

Archived