• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why can't we ever just make a splash?

Carolina is actually in really good shape compared to a lot of other teams.  Besides maybe Seattle or San Francisco, Carolina's front 7 can't be touched.  Most teams would kill to have Cam as their QB.  Who cares if we make a splash, it's all about the draft.  Gettleman has been clear he's signing cheap FA's anyway.  

PS - have you noticed that every single one of Carolina's star players were players they drafted?  Free agency is a way to SUPPLEMENT your roster, not build it.  The teams that make big splashes are desperate.  

remember OVER 50% of the time these deals FAIL.

the big splashes form panthers where ken lucas, kemo, and matt willing.......how did those turn out? how is revis island working out for the yucs? carl nicks? ray edwards? etc.

I think Gman wants to be somewhat of a splash guy, however, he has to undo Hurney's model. Hurney spent like hell on his own, whether they were worth it or not, they were his people!

Give Gman a chance to set up contracts the way he wants and after we shed JStew,Dwill, and CJ then I think you will forever see a cap structure that allows mobility in the offseason. Still can't get over that most of all of JStews contract was signing bonus(guaranteed). Hell, I would have chronic turf toe also for what it's guaranteed pay is

Yea I knew someone would say this. Other teams do it every year. A billion fuging dollars over the cap yet somehow they sign 2-3 marquee guys and they're under the cap by the time the season starts en route to their near Super Bowl run.

I get your frustration but "our" big signings of the past 7 years have been over paying our drafted players. We are in a mess and its why Hurney is gone. Give it time we will at some point be in a position to make moves.

Did Julius Peppers put the Bears over the top? In fact, when is the last time a team landing a high priced free agent (besides may Payton) ever turn around a team single handily? You win in the NFL by building through the draft. Yes, you need general manager that can draft well and the verdict is still out on Gettleman (Hurney wasn't the answer either IMO) but that is what will make us great, not blowing $80 million on a single free agent that has to learn a brand new system. Making a splash in March by getting front page coverage on NFL.com or a bit on SportsCenter for a day doesn't necessarily give you a winner.

Archived