• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lame Duck Situation....

Hotsauce

I like how this is working out. Rivera knows he needs to succeed. The players know he needs to succeed. Gettlemen knows we need to succeed. Let's see how this all plays out before we throw in the towel. Overreaction is not good for the cadio.

Football is suposed to be fun. As Panther fans, we are smack dab in the middle of one exciting time. Revolutionary QB, with a young, but improving team. A GM that knows what he is doing. Throw in a Coach the players love. Look up fun in the...google fun. There we are. Top of the first page.

I say, we won last year because we were the better team. Those without faith and trust, will tell you it was the competiton.

Who is having more fun? That's alright, you can say it. The guy with the faith and trust. The guy who just knows the future is as bright here in Pantherland.

And for all we know the future has already started. If we finish, let's say 10-6 this year. Rivera will have been 16-8 over his last 24 games. That's not a bad run if you ask me.

tl;dr version. Plenty of reasons to let your Homer flag fly.

Rivera might get fired after this year if we don't have a winning record but given he still has 2 years left on his contract, he can't by definition be a lame duck coach. If the criteria for lame duck was that the coach had to win or face replacement, that would apply to most of the coaches in the league not newly hired or legends like Bellicheck .

QFT & end thread.

remember when people on here used to scoff at the idea of John Fox being a lame duck coach in 2010 before it happened?

little different situation. fox's contract was running out that year and most knew that he wasn't going to be getting another one, including him. nothing was going to change that.the team had already started getting ready for post fox football by letting key players go and picking up players for the new coach to build around, like clausen and AE. fox didn't put any real effort into coaching (not that you could really tell).

here and now, rivera has a fighting chance and a contract that isn't up this year.lame ducks don't put up a fight. rivera will. that's why we'll have that late season, post-playoff-elimination surge again.

Rivera might get fired after this year if we don't have a winning record but given he still has 2 years left on his contract, he can't by definition be a lame duck coach. If the criteria for lame duck was that the coach had to win or face replacement, that would apply to most of the coaches in the league not newly hired or legends like Bellicheck .

So if Lame Duck as a term is defined as a condition where the coach is guaranteed to not come back, then you're quite correct. However, if that's the case, then John Fox wasn't a lame duck either, because had he gone 11-5 and into the playoffs, he would have been rewarded with a new contract.

Rivera was prevented by management from giving anyone more than a one year contract. Rivera knows that he's gone if we either don't have a winning season or something totally bizarre happens that explains away the losses. And that's not a secret, everyone and his brother knows it. The locker room considers him a guy who doesn't have any more time to build a winner, and as a guy who's gone if he doesn't win.

The only reason he has an extra year on his contract is because the original was for four years. He's certainly not being treated like a coach who has more than one year left, and that's why everyone is pointing at him and saying "Lame duck". Because if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and makes excuses like a duck, well you know the rest... :)

I know that when I was saying it was a lame duck year that it was not 100% accurate, but the only reason I say lame duck is for 3 reasons.

1) all position coaches were being offered only 1 year deals. I am pretty sure that if Ron's team was preforming better that position coaches would be offered more years then what they were being offered.

2) all FA that we targeted that I read, were being offered 1 year deals. Even though it seems a lot of teams are offering one year deals now.

3) IMO, it seems that it would be easier for Gettleman to let this year play out, try to create a little cap space this year, and then next year it seems easier to tell players to take a pay cut or get cut to free up some cap space to make better moves in FA and extend the players that we want to stay Hardy and Cam..

This is the best response in this thread. Sure, he may not BE a lame duck by some people's limited definitions, but management is certainly acting like he's one.

So if Lame Duck as a term is defined as a condition where the coach is guaranteed to not come back, then you're quite correct. However, if that's the case, then John Fox wasn't a lame duck either, because had he gone 11-5 and into the playoffs, he would have been rewarded with a new contract.

Rivera was prevented by management from giving anyone more than a one year contract. Rivera knows that he's gone if we either don't have a winning season or something totally bizarre happens that explains away the losses. And that's not a secret, everyone and his brother knows it. The locker room considers him a guy who doesn't have any more time to build a winner, and as a guy who's gone if he doesn't win.

The only reason he has an extra year on his contract is because the original was for four years. He's certainly not being treated like a coach who has more than one year left, and that's why everyone is pointing at him and saying "Lame duck". Because if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and makes excuses like a duck, well you know the rest... :)

This is the best response in this thread. Sure, he may not BE a lame duck by some people's limited definitions, but management is certainly acting like he's one.

This is essentially what I was trying to say. I see p55's point, if you want to limit the word lame duck, but in a more broad sense an argument could be made. If Rivera was going to be here for sure, no matter what, for next two years I really think we would have hired a different OC. That is just one example out of quite a few. People who say lame duck more than likley are people that have already lost all faith in Rivera and want to move on. They have seen enough already and can't understand wanting to see more.

Archived